These are the most exciting products coming to Apple's HomeKit home automation platform in...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:
    What is the best security camera home system as of now that works with macs/ios?  Preferably with multiple cameras and not costing a fortune.

Thanks for any advice or info!
    Yi 1080P cameras at less than $50 each would be ideal IMHO, there's even a four pack of the 720P version for $100 at Amazon, as long as you can get past their privacy policy. I've been using two in the main entryways but NOT using their cloud service because of that aforementioned privacy policy. These are one of the few that have SD card slots for local recording and don't need a subscription. 32GB cards are very usable, plenty of storage, and still accessible for remote alerts and review via smartphone. 

But with that said I have been moving to Nest cameras for more private areas in the home. (Ebay is my friend  B) )
    More reasonable subscription plans are available from them now too, far less expensive than just a few months ago.
    Answers for question about MacOS and IOS from you is unexpected I must say, but welcome, glad you have come over to the light.  So you now do have a Mac in house or are you using these with an iPhone! Which models?  Nest doesn't go down too well with many Mac users these days though, Nest sold its soul remember ;)
  • Reply 22 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:
    What is the best security camera home system as of now that works with macs/ios?  Preferably with multiple cameras and not costing a fortune.

Yi 1080P cameras at less than $50 each would be ideal IMHO, there's even a four pack of the 720P version for $100 at Amazon, as long as you can get past their privacy policy. I've been using two in the main entryways but NOT using their cloud service because of that aforementioned privacy policy. These are one of the few that have SD card slots for local recording and don't need a subscription. 32GB cards are very usable, plenty of storage, and still accessible for remote alerts and review via smartphone. 

But with that said I have been moving to Nest cameras for more private areas in the home. (Ebay is my friend  B) )
    More reasonable subscription plans are available from them now too, far less expensive than just a few months ago.
    Answers for question about MacOS and IOS from you is unexpected I must say, but welcome, glad you have come over to the light.  So you now do have a Mac in house or are you using these with an iPhone! Which models?  Nest doesn't go down too well with many Mac users these days though, Nest sold its soul remember ;)
    Heck I've used Apple products for over 15 years. Mac, iPods, Apple TV...
    In fact it was an iPod and DED that brought me here.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 528member
    I am interested in Lutron who makes a hub control its radiora2 or select switches. It is a couple or orders of magnitude more costly but maybe they have made a useful switch. 
    I love my Lutron Caséta system. If you can fit everything within their 50-unit limit I’d recommend that. Once you have to jump to RadioRA, the price of your switches triples. The Pico remotes that both systems use are great as a 3-way replacement and to scatter all over the walls and surfaces of my home. 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tokyojimu said:
    I am interested in Lutron who makes a hub control its radiora2 or select switches. It is a couple or orders of magnitude more costly but maybe they have made a useful switch. 
    I love my Lutron Caséta system. If you can fit everything within their 50-unit limit I’d recommend that. Once you have to jump to RadioRA, the price of your switches triples. The Pico remotes that both systems use are great as a 3-way replacement and to scatter all over the walls and surfaces of my home. 
    If they only had a switch useable for ceiling fan control I would be a Caseta buyer myself even tho it requires its own hub. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:

Well gosh, the other Gatorguy wrote that he had no Apple products not long ago, glad you are on board!
  • Reply 26 of 32
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:

Well gosh, the other Gatorguy wrote that he had no Apple products not long ago, glad you are on board!
    Huh? There's obviously an imposter on the boards then... unless... possibly....
    your memory is playing tricks on you. 
    :)
  • Reply 27 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    I’ve found a couple more wifi-based HomeKit dimmer switches that look good to me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0743Q7VCL/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKC66HD/

...wifi devices use more power and can be less reliable than their bridged counterparts which use lightweight comm protocols. But, bridges are a pain. (I’m working on running my network into the attic to put crap like that somewhere out of sight as an option). 
  • Reply 28 of 32
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:

Perhaps I am getting mixed up, you stated you had no computers at home and no iPhone.  Perhaps these Apple products are at your place of work?

• Reply 29 of 32
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    MacPro said:
    gatorguy said:
    frankie said:

Perhaps I am getting mixed up, you stated you had no computers at home and no iPhone.  Perhaps these Apple products are at your place of work?

Apple TV at home, iPods have taken up residence in parts unknown at the moment, and Mac? Bingo sir. I assume the twenty questions are to determine whether I comment accurately here in the forums? Well presumably so since the responses so often don't question the accuracy and instead dive into personalities.

But as you presumably consider ownership to be the ultimate determination of how qualified a person is to comment, just how many Android devices do you own, which ones, and are they used daily? 

BTW tonight I DO have a "real" computer at home for some Lightroom work and Photoshop editing. 90% of the time my at home "computing" is all via my 2013 Chromebook Pixel which covers just about all the home needs that my phone isn't ideal for, such as posting on AI :)
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 30 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    gatorguy said:
    fallenjt said:
    I didn’t intend to get the Wemo bridge but Amazon gave me $33 off the price ($39.99) last night, so I bought it to connect my Wemo switches to HomeKit. The switches currently use Alexa and they dropped out a lot. 
    Why is a bridge needed @fallenjt ? Is it a limitation of HomeKit or a decision by Wemo? 
    I used both Alexa and Siri to control my smart home devices. Until last week, Wemo plugs were not compatible with Siri. That's why I got the Wemo Bridge to use the plugs with Homekit.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    MacPro said:
    fallenjt said:
    Andy_Z said:
    Just a few minutes ago I received an early-bird preorder email from Ecobee for their HomeKit smart Switch+ with built-in Alexa. 
    That’s the best Thermostat on the market. My only complaint is that it’s not compatible with AC 5Ghz band.
    The problem with 5GHz is it isn't very good at going through walls.  Perhaps that's why they use 2.4 GHz which is far better suited for that purpose.  My tip is to make sure you name both of the frequencies the same in your router's admin so all devices in your LAN are on the same network and can auto select the best frequency at any given time.
    Well, Nest use 5Ghz and it works fine. I tried too.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    rudirudi Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Withouth zwave or zigbee support, homekit is an also ran. What do apple engineers even do all day anymore? Its certainly not designing and releasing products...