Apple's 2018 WWDC scheduled for June 4 through June 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Apple has announced that it will host its 29th annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, California from June 4 through June 8 at the McEnery Convention Center.

The normal slate of events are expected at the event, including debuts of iOS 12, macOS 10.14, and new watchOS and tvOS versions as well.

Apple will host over 100 technical and design-focused sessions presented by Apple engineers. Hands-on labs will guide developers through new features, directly from the engineers who helped build the latest advances in Apple platforms.

A calendar of events is not yet available. Apple has also not yet updated the WWDC app to reflect the new show.

Apple's hardware intentions at the event are not yet clear. For years, Apple did not generally debut new gear at the WWDC, but opted to refresh a large array of it at the event in 2017. Possibly on tap are a pair of new iPads, and a dramatic MacBook Air refresh.

Developers can apply for tickets from now through March 22 at 10 a.m. Pacific time through the WWDC website. Tickets are issued through a random selection process, and developers will be notified of application status by March 23 at 5 p.m. Pacific time. Up to 350 WWDC Student Scholarships are available this year

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    And now to decode this years image.

Everything is going to be baked into each other. Two operating systems but unified across GUI and HUD and macOS will be able to run iOS apps.  
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Can't wait...I love these events! :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    3D, 3D, 3D !!!
    anton zuykovwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 20
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Project Marzipan!!!
    SpamSandwichdoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 20
    So Apple for the second year in a row is skipping a March event to announce WWDC in March instead. I would be surprised if there is no hardware refreshes.

I feel they could outline the same style as last year, announce a new major redesign mac(iMac last year, probably Macbook [air]) this year, then throw in minor updates to the rest the Macs and Announce the MacPro(iMac Pro last year), which will still be months away. Also an iPad update added in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    So Apple for the second year in a row is skipping a March event to announce WWDC in March instead. I would be surprised if there is no hardware refreshes.

I feel they could outline the same style as last year, announce a new major redesign mac(iMac last year, probably Macbook [air]) this year, then throw in minor updates to the rest the Macs and Announce the MacPro(iMac Pro last year), which will still be months away. Also an iPad update added in.
    Apple announced the fifth generation iPad without an event last year at about this time. We'll see.
    peterhartwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Is that a new venue or the usual place with a new name?

Edit: to answer my own question, obviously the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose isn't the same as the Moscone Center in San Francisco.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 8 of 20
    be apple said:
    3D, 3D, 3D !!!
    That makes sense.  We know that AR will be prominently featured on the agenda.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Nothing of the such can be inferred from this announcement!    

First off it isnt uncommon for Apple to do hardware releases prior  WWDC if they have more important things to focuse on.  

More importantly Apple still has months to go to deliver new product.   Frankly the Mac lineup is looking pretty pathetic right now so there is good reason to want to see new Macs ASAP.   Generally they want new laptops out well before back to school promotions.   The desktop is so pathetic im not certain how Apple can look at istelf in the mirror, however rumors about new desktops vary widely.  It could be fall before desktops debut.   

Given all of the above i could see Apple debuting new Macs at WWdC simply to show the workd they are serious about the lineup.   Personally ive lost faith in the idea that Apple can deliver innovative and cost effectivev Macs.   As such im expliring Linux for real computing needsc. Maybe they can change my mind at WWDC.  
  • Reply 10 of 20
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    You vs the guy she tells you not to worry about 

(but seriously, I hope this means a return to more physically weighty UI elements with shadows and depth, we got rid of a lot of good with the bad in the backlash against skeuomorphism).

patchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Guess the march event is just rumors.........
  • Reply 12 of 20

They are going to use that in all iOS devices and it will be awesome!
    anton zuykovpatchythepiratedoozydozenhexclock
  • Reply 13 of 20
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    JinTech said:

Everything is going to be baked into each other. Two operating systems but unified across GUI and HUD and macOS will be able to run iOS apps.  
    Clearly, the differing heights of the UI elements denote the importance to Apple each component has. So the taller the object, the more important. So clearly, as the pie chart is one of the tallest elements, metrics is going to be really big at this year's WWDC.
    Guess the march event is just rumors.........
    Not necessarily, they still have a few days to get invites out for an event this month, although they probably don't want to run into Easter, so if nothing by the end of the week, I guess it's off. Still, as has been mentioned, they could announce refreshes for hardware without an event at any time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    wizard69 said:

More importantly Apple still has months to go to deliver new product.   Frankly the Mac lineup is looking pretty pathetic right now so there is good reason to want to see new Macs ASAP.   Generally they want new laptops out well before back to school promotions.   The desktop is so pathetic im not certain how Apple can look at istelf in the mirror, however rumors about new desktops vary widely.  It could be fall before desktops debut.   

Given all of the above i could see Apple debuting new Macs at WWdC simply to show the workd they are serious about the lineup.   Personally ive lost faith in the idea that Apple can deliver innovative and cost effectivev Macs.   As such im expliring Linux for real computing needsc. Maybe they can change my mind at WWDC.  
    As for desktops the iMac was updated summer and the brand new iMac Pro workstation in winter -- how are these pathetic? You need more power that only the new MP can deliver? That's hardly a mainstream use case. 

But OK, enjoy your Linux project for "real" computing needs. lol 
    edited March 2018 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    anome said:
    JinTech said:

Clearly, the differing heights of the UI elements denote the importance to Apple each component has. So the taller the object, the more important. So clearly, as the pie chart is one of the tallest elements, metrics is going to be really big at this year's WWDC.
    Clearly.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Welcome to WWDC. We’ve got some great things to share with you.....

Airplay 2 is coming soon. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wizard69 said:

Nothing of the such can be inferred from this announcement!    

First off it isnt uncommon for Apple to do hardware releases prior  WWDC if they have more important things to focuse on.  

You’re clearly not in Apple’s core demographic. 

Don’t wait. 
    Go now. 
    They won’t miss you. 

watto_cobraStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 18 of 20
    wizard69 said:

As for desktops the iMac was updated summer and the brand new iMac Pro workstation in winter -- how are these pathetic? You need more power that only the new MP can deliver? That's hardly a mainstream use case. 

But OK, enjoy your Linux project for "real" computing needs. lol 

You just can't reason with the "MacMini or get out" and the "Mac Pro cheese grater or get out" crowds.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 20
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Seems like a good venue to show the new new MacPro. 

In 2003 they showed the original cheese grater G5 at WWDC. I think it was the first WWDC I paid attention to. I bought that G5 PowerMac as soon as it became available. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The 3d GUI controls in the invitation suggest a VR version of Interface Builder to me. Remember at WWDC17 they had a woman designing a movie scene in VR (a Star Wars scene)? Maybe Xcode will have something similar for designing app GUIs.
    edited March 2018