2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "...an tv tuner..."
  • Reply 22 of 32
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    fallenjt said:
    What is the advantage of this $200 setup over the OTA antenna to Ant.-In port on the back of the TV? I'd rather feed the antenna cable directly to the TV antenna port and enjoy my OTA broadcast channels.
    Depends on your setup, including if you want DVR, where your TV is located, where your antenna is located, and a bunch of other things.
    This is useful information. I have a TV that once suffered a freak static electricity incident at the USB port that lobotomized the tuner. It’s functioned fine as an HD monitor, though, so a tuner that ports on-air broadcasts through the ATV could actually fill a gap. I guess that counts under “...a bunch of other things.”
  • Reply 23 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    fallenjt said:
    fallenjt said:
    What is the advantage of this $200 setup over the OTA antenna to Ant.-In port on the back of the TV? I'd rather feed the antenna cable directly to the TV antenna port and enjoy my OTA broadcast channels.
    You can use the channel streaming over your router to other devices in the house, such as your iPad in bed.

You can time-shift.

You can DVR.
    To one each own. It may not worth it for me for some broadcasted local channels, and also I already had coaxial cables connected to every room with antenna splitter built in with the house. So, every TV in my house can just connect to the antenna port on the wall and we're good to go.
    Well that's great for you but how does that help everyone else? You do realize your personal set-up doesn't represent everyone else's use cases, right?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    I have been looking for solution to attach another device and antenna to AppleTV. Right. How about no and make it stream centrally to Internet making it available regionally without service or login? Oh I already have my antenna hooked up to TV set directly... "digital" http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/design.htm
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    asdasd said:
    I have wanted to say this somewhere else but here will do. TVOS needs to be licensed. A bit like CarPlay. This will allow TV manufacturers to ship with dual OS'es like cars.
    tvOS is there for one reason only, to sell TVs. There would be no halo effect from licensing tvOS. If Apple made cars you can bet your bottom dollar CarPlay would only work on that Apple car. 
  • Reply 26 of 32
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    ... would be nice if you realised that you have readers all over the world, not just the States!!! So maybe here and there a hint of a notion that certain things only for in the US would be helpful .... 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    YvLyYvLy Posts: 89member
    sorry, end of phrase got mixed up ..... it should read:  "that certain things only work in the US ... "
  • Reply 28 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    asdasd said:
    I have wanted to say this somewhere else but here will do. TVOS needs to be licensed. A bit like CarPlay. This will allow TV manufacturers to ship with dual OS'es like cars.
    tvOS is there for one reason only, to sell TVs. There would be no halo effect from licensing tvOS. If Apple made cars you can bet your bottom dollar CarPlay would only work on that Apple car. 
    I don't think so. I think CarPlay would continue to function for any auto-maker head unit that supports it. It's job is not to sell cars, but to sell iPhones by making them easier to use in various cars.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 29 of 32
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    fallenjt said:
    fallenjt said:
    You can use the channel streaming over your router to other devices in the house, such as your iPad in bed.

You can time-shift.

You can DVR.
    To one each own. It may not worth it for me for some broadcasted local channels, and also I already had coaxial cables connected to every room with antenna splitter built in with the house. So, every TV in my house can just connect to the antenna port on the wall and we're good to go.
    Well that's great for you but how does that help everyone else? You do realize your personal set-up doesn't represent everyone else's use cases, right?
    Do you realize that I said it’s not for me? Learn comprehensive reading!
    gatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 32
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    silicondust has some new tuners coming out. One with cablecard support coming out soon that can do 6 channels at once called HDHomeRun Prime 6 and a new all in one that has 2 OTA HD tuners, hard drive and dvr software called the HDHomeRun Connect DUO+

Of course the DVR features requires a fee of $35 for a year (for the channel guide data) or $8 a month if you use the channels apple TV app. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 31 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

asdasd said:
    LOL no. Apple will never license tvOS. Nor have they licensed CarPlay -- CarPlay is just an interface that is output by your phone and rendered by the vehicle's head unit display, returning taps events to the phone for actions. It's similar in concept to the "iPod mode" or whatever when you plugged an iPod into a car stereo that supported it...
    They most definitely have a license program for CarPlay. Sure its not iOS on the car, but thats not all that relevant. Apple worked on the interface software originally and sold it as a standard. 

As to why Apple may well license TVOS, two reasons:

1) They are increasingly a service company. Getting TVOS on Samsung and LG TVs as an alternative OS will allow them to sell more applications that they wouldn't have otherwise sold, and make Apple services like music more useful.  Android works well with Samsung and LG TVs, the iPhone doesnt.
    2) They make little money from the Apple TV as it is. 

I just got a pretty cool new LG TV, and I am not now in the market for an Apple TV, because the TV does most of what I need. Its got Netflix, Amazon Prime, the BBC iPlayer etc. I have enough cables into the TV. WebOS is ok. Now if I got a choice at startup to run one or the other it might be very interesting. 

I don't think Apple can compete with these guys with a TV set. The Apple TV box strategy can co-exist with licensing. 

The problem is that the TV manufacturers may not want TVOS, or it is too big, or they would want to install their own software on it. WebOS does control the TV, not just apps on the TV. 

• Reply 32 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    lkrupp said:
    asdasd said:
    Thats true now. As Apple gets more money from services on installed devices that may change