Fitbit intros iPhone-connected Versa smartwatch & kids-oriented Ace fitness tracker

Posted:
in iPhone
Fitbit on Tuesday launched two new devices -- the Versa, its second smartwatch, and the Ace, its first dedicated fitness tracker for children.

The Versa shares many of the features of the Ionic, including Fitbit OS, but is significantly cheaper -- coming in at $199.95, versus the Ionic's $299.95 -- and also sports a less angular design, somewhat similar to the Apple Watch. There are some compromises, most notably the omission of Fitbit Pay unless someone springs for the $229.95 Special Edition.

The watch should also be the first product to ship with Fitbit's new female health tracking features. In tandem with the Fitbit phone app, these will let women track their menstrual and fertility cycles, including the ability to log symptoms and predict periods.

The Ace is designed for children 8 and older, and is a relatively basic tracker, only monitoring steps, active minutes, and sleep patterns. Similarly, the device is only "showerproof" rather than fully waterproof like the Versa.

The Ace does have a longer five-day battery life however, and takes advantage of Fitbit's new family account feature, which lets people create secondary accounts for their children. Parents can use this to monitor activity as well as set bedtime reminders and morning alarms, whereas children can browse their stats in a limited Kid View.

To offer encouragement, kids get goal celebrations and achievement badges, as well as the option to challenge others. Using the phone app, they can send messages to family members.

The Versa can be preordered today, and will ship in April. The Ace can be preordered for $99.95, and will ship sometime in the second quarter. Female health tracking will come to the Versa, Ionic, and Fitbit app this spring, around the same time as Fitbit OS 2.0.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    If you can’t beat ‘em, copy ‘em. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra1983
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    But does it connect to HealthKit?
    racerhomie3StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    They basically just copied Apple Watch...even the UI is similar. I guess like Robin said, if you can't beat them, copy them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    So they made what a lot of people wanted, a Pebble that can integrate into Fitbits social network. Not bad on its own. 

It didn't keep the e-paper screen though, wonder what the battery life would be then. It about matches the OG Pebble, but I wonder if e-paper would have gone to weeks. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Not bad for monitoring kids health.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Rayz2016 said:
    But does it connect to HealthKit?
    I doubt it. It’s the one thing that absolutely annoys me about Fitbit. The hoops you’ve got to jump through to get that data into a centralised location that everyone can get to.

I do well prefer my Apple Watch Series 3 though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Looks familiar..
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra1983
  • Reply 8 of 13
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    If it had the e-paper screen, with the longer battery life, I would have bought one. I think this one is more like it, much better than the Ionic. So now it can compete better with the Apple Watch, since it has 4 day battery and it is less expensive.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    If you can’t beat ‘em, copy ‘em. 
    At least they beat Google and Samsung to it.  /waiting for our resident Google representative to chime it with a few links and comments about how Apple copied Google.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mavemufc said:
    Looks familiar..
    Can't quite put my finger on it...
    watto_cobra1983mavemufc
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ctrl+c, ctrl+v of apple watch. and still willing to pair with healthkit fearing apple would mine their data and have an edge on them. which they already have though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    ctrl+c, ctrl+v of apple watch. and still willing to pair with healthkit fearing apple would mine their data and have an edge on them. which they already have though.
    You using a Hackintosh? 😛
  • Reply 13 of 13
    PChinPChin Posts: 3member
    Guys, honestly, Versa looks more like pebble than Apple Watch. I understand the rectangular shape, but the watch face and the buttons, all were part of pebble design, which fitbit acquired last year. I may not buy this, i liked my pebble while it lasted.