Apple Music Android app gets rare update to solve bugs

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has issued an update to the Android version of Apple Music, fixing two recent problems with the client.

The app should no longer crash when trying to open the Library view, the company said in release notes. Actual playback, meanwhile, should be "more reliable on more devices."

Apple rarely updates the service on Android, presumably focused on its core audience of iPhone, iPad, and iTunes users. This week's patch is actually the second in less than a month though, suggesting that technical issues were serious enough to warrant rush treatment.

The last update introduced music video improvements, such as playlists, background audio, and in-app picture-in-picture.

Apple Music recently crossed 38 million subscribers. It's not known how many of those are on Android versus Apple platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Apple shouldn't treat the Android version as an afterthought. Giving Android users a pleasant experience, and a taste of superior Apple software, will make the user more willing to look at an iPhone for their next upgrade. If it's buggy, any negative ideas they had about Apple are just reinforced.
    edited March 2018 chelinwatto_cobrajony0willcropoint
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Apple shouldn't treat the Android version as an afterthought. Giving Android users a pleasant experience, and a taste of superior Apple software, will make the user more willing to look at an iPhone for their next upgrade. If it's buggy, any negative ideas they had about Apple are just reinforced.
    True. 

• Reply 3 of 4
    AMC4x4AMC4x4 Posts: 1member
    This Android fanboi has finally had it with Google since they are killing Google Play Music and moving everyone over to YouTube Music, which has an absolutely horrible app and basically turns what was a great music service into a music video service (which I don't want, and I certainly don't want my 10 year old using). I tried Spotify, Amazon & Apple Music and ended up choosing Apple, and was seriously open to the possibility now of moving my stuff out of the Google ecosphere, no matter how painful it might be, out of protest - protest for killing apps I like time after time, or crippling them into being unusable. Then there's the matter of the Big G selling all my personal info. 

So everything was going great until it came time to create a child account for my new family Apple Music subscription. Turns out you can't do that from the web, can't do it from the Android app. You need an Apple device to do it. This seems like a huge oversight if the company allows Windows and Android users to subscribe to Apple Music family service, but doesn't allow them to create children accounts.

This is my first re-introduction to Apple after years of avoiding them, and it seems they're doing the same thing they always do -  limit what people can do. I bought a used iPad and am still considering my options to move away from Google and toward Apple, but Apple needs to fix this.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    apple needs to fix this app for the 5th time this week I've had redownload music that the app simply won't read anymore for some bizarre reason, it asks to reload my library and after that I have to redownload music that's already there as in the settings app it shows. I'm beyond annoyed now.