Highly questionable video claims to show 'iPhone SE 2' with iPhone X styling

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
A dubious video has started to circulate on Weibo that claims to show the upcoming 'iPhone SE 2' using the same design language as the iPhone X, but the smartphone appearing in the brief clip is probably not the follow-up to the iPhone SE, for a number of reasons.

The Weibo video posted by a user identified as "Kimmi," found by Macotakara, depicts an iPhone X-like smartphone being unlocked and used before being placed on a table. The device shown is identified as an "iPhone SE 2," the successor to the iPhone SE, and is shown as having a similar notch, screen, and vertical rear camera arrangement as the premium model.

While it may be convincing to some users, a slightly closer look at the video, and reading news about the device strongly suggests that the video is bogus, for quite a few reasons.

Starting with the video itself, aside from the lower third graphic asking if it is an "iPhone SE 2," there is nothing actually in the video to suggest what it actually is. If the video is watched without the lower third, many would believe it to simply show someone playing around with an iPhone X.

The notch at the top seems to have the same proportions as the iPhone X, and the home icons and general interface seems quiet like users would expect as well. A side view showing the boxier edges may be a sign of it being a different smartphone, but it could also easily be a case for the iPhone X made to look like an older iPhone.

There is also no way to compare the physical dimensions of the on-screen phone with others in the Apple range. The iPhone SE is known to be the smallest in the iPhone family, but it is unknown if the one being used is that small, or near to it in size.

Apple moving to an iPhone X-inspired design would be illogical for the "iPhone SE 2" in terms of pricing. Adding features that would necessitate the use of the notch, like Face ID's TrueDepth camera, would potentially make the smartphone too expensive for its intended customers in developing markets.

Bundling iPhone X features on the cheapest phone in Apple's lineup would also be damaging for the iPhone X itself, as it would give customers less of an incentive to pay the premium cost when they can get similar features at a lower price.

Rumors and analyst predictions from the last few months also go against the video being genuine, largely because it is believed it will be an upgrade of specifications rather than a complete redesign. One early rumor suggested it would use a glass sandwich design similar to the iPhone 4, possibly adding wireless charging at the same time.

Sources of DigiTimes chimed in with a report in January claiming it will be an "inexpensive smartphone similar to the iPhone SE," one that would include wireless charging, but not "3D sensing." KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo advised in the same month of being skeptical at a major update to the iPhone SE, suggesting the successor would more likely have minor changes that wouldn't undercut the premium models.

Current rumors point to Apple shipping an "iPhone SE 2," if it exists at all, late in the second quarter, perhaps in May or June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I disagree with the negative comments in the article that this would be bad for both the SE and the X -- by raising the SE's price and placing downward pressure on the X's price.   Ok,  it would BUT...

1)  The SE actually has 2 major selling points.  One is obviously price.  But also its size is ideal for those people who use it primarily as a phone rather than a computer.   That's why Steve resisted putting out a larger iPhone for so long -- the original iPhone was, well, more of a phone than a computer.  But, gradually iPhones became more computers and than phone and needed larger screens.   But not everybody uses them that way.  Some still mostly need a phone.

An SE with a full screen face would be ideal for those people who use it mostly as a phone or who need a smaller phone such as construction workers who don't want a big bulky phone sticking in their hip every time they stoop down.

2) A phone with an small external form factor but a larger screen would be attractive for many people who went from the SE sized phone to the size of the 6.  They could drop back down to that original eternal size that they loved so much without giving up the screen size they like.

I think and I hope that Apple will put out the line of products that meets its user's needs best -- and an SE with a full screen face could meet the need of many...

But that also doesn't mean it has to replace the low cost SE.   It could be the SX!  (Or, better, the SEX).

p.s.  I've heard speculation that Apple intends to put FaceID on all of its products.   If that's true, then this SE with a full face screen probably inevitable.
    edited March 2018 baconstangarthurbabonobobcommand_fbrakken
  • Reply 2 of 28
    1. The SE is 100000% about price. Even its size is a result of cost considerations. It isn't using iPhone 5 design to please anyone, even if their marketing says so.

2. Face ID is a leading iPhone X feature. Despite its utility, it won't come to low-cost products soon.
    edited March 2018 ksecStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 28
    This would really butter my biscuit c'mon Apple make it happen! Is that lcd? 3d touch too pls. 
    arthurbacornchipbrakken
  • Reply 4 of 28
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Yes SE is about price so update to keep or lower the price.  Make this the X-. Take my money.
    arthurba
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Looks quite convincing at times but I’d be amazed if the SE 2 had Face ID.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    The video look highly credible to me. Compared to the person's hand, the phone is clearly smaller than the X. The edges are iPhone SE-like. The finish looks great, and things fit together. The edge does not appear to be a case. The uploader did not claim this is the SE 2. If you look closely, the caption includes a question mark. As far as I remember, a smaller LCD version has been long rumoured.This could be it. I'd certainly look forward to such a device, and I think it could drive Apple's installed base way up.
    arthurbaracerhomie3
  • Reply 7 of 28
    1. The SE is 100000% about price. Even its size is a result of cost considerations. It isn't using iPhone 5 design to please anyone, even if their marketing says so.

2. Face ID is a leading iPhone X feature. Despite its utility, it won't come to low-cost products soon.
    I respectfully disagree.  I bought the SE because of its size.  

It fits in my pocket, I can use it one handed easily, and I also use it outdoors in a lifeproof case while working out. 

It’s perfect for my use case and they have sold millions. 
    edited March 2018 arthurbabonobobpscooter63netroxbaconstangGeorgeBMaccommand_flkallianceentropys
  • Reply 8 of 28
    1. The SE is 100000% about price. 
    What the hell are you talking about? 

100% fake, though. An iPhone SE X wouldn’t have dual back cameras. 110% the phone of my dreams. 
    supadav03baconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 28
    arthurbaarthurba Posts: 154member
    I don't care what you call it - but it's what Apple iPhone users have been calling for for years - a high end/premium SMALL phone.

I'm not downgrading my iPhone SE to the Enormous or Gigantic sized newer models.
    bonobobboogerman2000pscooter63baconstangGeorgeBMaccommand_fracerhomie3entropys
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Apple does have a history of 'easing' its styling towards the top of product lines (eventually)... One example is the way MacBookPro's were aluminum with backlit KB's and the MacBooks/iBooks were plastic. Now, look at their laptop line. All aluminum. 

I can see the SE2 having a similar design to the X. Perhaps without all the features. Apple does not want to sell cheap, iPhones, iPads or laptops!

Best

edited March 2018 command_f
  • Reply 11 of 28

Definitely about size/profile, thank you.  It’s an aesthetically gorgeous design, unlike the aesthetically goofy too big for your hand, easily slips out with its rounded corners design of the 6 on.

And no thank you on Face ID.  I’ll keep my Touch ID any day. 
  • Reply 12 of 28
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    The video is pure nonsense. The SE doesn't even have Touch ID yet. Also we are supposed to believe the SE2 would somehow get the dual camera? Honestly it looks more like an iPhone 9 of something of that nature since there is claims Apple wants a lower cost X. Looks like a non-glass back and thus lack of wireless charging might help lower costs.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    trumptman said:
    The video is pure nonsense. The SE doesn't even have Touch ID yet. Also we are supposed to believe the SE2 would somehow get the dual camera? Honestly it looks more like an iPhone 9 of something of that nature since there is claims Apple wants a lower cost X. Looks like a non-glass back and thus lack of wireless charging might help lower costs.
    The se has the first generation Touch ID, but not the second generation that debuted with the 6s. 
    cornchipbaconstangGeorgeBMaccommand_f
  • Reply 14 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Instant buy.

trumptman said:

The SE doesn't even have Touch ID yet. 

?????

edited March 2018 baconstang
  • Reply 15 of 28
    trumptman said:
    The SE has had Touch ID since it was released. 
    edited March 2018 baconstangGeorgeBMaccommand_f
  • Reply 16 of 28
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    The protruding camera doesn’t make sense on a SE. The SE is already thick enough to accomodate a camera flush with the back panel. All other features are plausible but that camera destroys the dream.
    command_f
  • Reply 17 of 28
    georgie01georgie01 Posts: 436member

Definitely about size/profile, thank you.  It’s an aesthetically gorgeous design, unlike the aesthetically goofy too big for your hand, easily slips out with its rounded corners design of the 6 on.

And no thank you on Face ID.  I’ll keep my Touch ID any day. 
    My wife would snap up an SE in a second if it was like the one in the video. Smaller phones have a definite appeal. She’s even considered trading in her 6s for a current SE simply because of the size.

Though I have a different feeling than you regarding FaceID. I had my reservations when I got my X but now I prefer it. It can recognise my face at angles on a desk—the videos where people plop it right in front of their face are of people who don’t know how to use it. But it also adds a real sense that you don’t need to do anything to unlock your phone. Just pick it up and swipe up and you’re in. It’s not perfect but it’s quite good and adds a new dimension to the user experience. I also much prefer gestures now and a home button feels a little clunky and slow.

Also, the X doesn’t slip like the 6 did, nor did my jet black 7. Both have a tacky feel as where the aluminium 6 and up are a bit slippery.
    edited March 2018 mattinozcommand_f
  • Reply 18 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Those of you saying you'd buy an iPhone X like device but for a lower price -- in effect that's what you'll be getting this fall -- the iPhone X features will migrate to the successor to the iPhone 8. But thinking you'll get an iPhone X-like device for $350 next month is just ... delusional.

As for price versus size, I'm in the camp that it is mostly about price, since it sells much in under-developed countries than it does in North America. I get that there are some (quite a few) who like a premium phone at that size -- but as with the Mac Pro crowd, you guys vastly overestimate both your numbers and influence. Estimates from reliable outside firms believe the iPhone SE accounts for less than five percent of iPhone sales.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 28
    bullsh*t, go back to the iPhone SE launch event. No1 reason they went back to a 4"er was they still sold over 30m iPhone 5/5Ss after Apple moved to phablets; "some people simply love smaller phones" Apple said. I see SE models everywhere and can guarantee for the owners that I know, the price wasn't even a consideration. 

I'm one of those waiting patiently for a top-spec SE2, if it doesn't materialise, I will make do with a 128GB SE for the foreseeable. 
  • Reply 20 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    So lets say it is a fake. I get that people can fake a picture ( with photoshop). how would this be faked? Does the guy have large hands, it is really an X?