Microsoft's Edge browser comes to Apple's iPad in beta release

Posted:
in iPad
Microsoft is rolling out its Edge Web browser to the iPad in beta form, following up on an iPhone release in November.

Image Credit: The Verge
Image Credit: The Verge

The iPad app is largely identical to the iPhone version, but more useful simply for having a bigger view. It retains core features such as "Continue on PC," letting people push content to Windows 10, and the ability to switch between light and dark themes.

The app doesn't support iOS 11's split-screen multitasking functions however, and Microsoft has yet to enable promised tab sync between platforms.

Access to the iPad app requires signing up with Microsoft as an Edge tester, and downloading the beta through Apple's TestFlight.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    This will be huge!  Dozens of users. 
    coolfactorfastasleepsdw2001watto_cobraapplericGeorgeBMacmagman1979pscooter63jony0
  • Reply 2 of 29
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    Must drain the batteries fast. In the first picture, the battery level is at 1 percent. All I can say is quick surfing.
    coolfactorrob53fastasleepwatto_cobramagman1979lamboaudi4jony0
  • Reply 3 of 29
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    "Continue on PC" ????? ... Edge is an abomination on Microsoft's own operating system  :D
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacmagman1979lamboaudi4willcropointpscooter63jony0
  • Reply 4 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,923member
    My understanding is that all of the iOS bowsers must use Webkit, so are these anything more than different skins on the same engine?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    MplsP said:
    My understanding is that all of the iOS bowsers must use Webkit, so are these anything more than different skins on the same engine?

Yes, WebKit for the rendering, but they bring their own features and functionality that extend the browser beyond just browsing. In this case, it's about getting people to stay in the Microsoft ecosystem when they switch between different devices. 
    watto_cobrajbdragonracerhomie3GeorgeBMacmagman1979
  • Reply 6 of 29
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Why in god’s name would I install this?  
    macseekertallest skilwatto_cobraapplericRayz2016GeorgeBMacrattlhedmacxpressmagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 29
    macseekermacseeker Posts: 545member
    sdw2001 said:
    I love this post!
    watto_cobrarattlhedmagman1979
  • Reply 8 of 29
    This reminds me of when MS brought IE to the Mac, back in the 90's - and it was awesome then! Really was a great browser until IE6, and then when Apple made Safari, well, MS just yanked it out for Mac. Even now, they don't offer Edge for Mac, right? So, why this? I mean, if they are so confident with Surface (which is basically a tablet that runs Windows) then why offer Edge to iPad users? Edge is the LEAST used browser running on Windows… not because of a lack of cross-platform support, but because IE was so buggy, sluggish and difficult to support which caused many to migrate to Chrome. So, when Edge came out, people were like "feh… I'll stick with chrome thank you!" So… MS, why now?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    sdw2001 said:
    Because you use Windows and it will no doubt integrate with Edge on your PC. This isn’t meant for Mac users. 
    decoderingGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I can't wait till Apple puts out a Mac I can afford -- so I don't even have think about this nonsense anymore...
  • Reply 11 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I can't wait till Apple puts out a Mac I can afford -- so I don't even have think about this nonsense anymore...
    You can't afford a $499 Mac mini? $799 Mac mini? 
    edited March 2018 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Buy a used one. They are better than the new models.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    sdw2001 said:
    Many large companies offer iPhones and iPads, including the one I work for. However, they install an MDM on iOS devices to control what you can and cannot do. I bet they'll add an option to Windows Server, for infosec IT departments, where they allow full granular control of all the browser's functionality. This way the MDM will not permit Safari to be installed and instead will auto install Edge. Our corporate issued non-prod iOS devices do something similar, they use BlackBerry Work, which is setup to not allow iMessage, Safari, App Store, Contacts, Calendar, or even the camera to work or install. They only allow email, calendar, browsing through the BlackBerry ecosystem, which they claim is more secure. It doesn't even allow Copy/Paste to anything outside BB Work. Until last month, our permitted browser has always been IE, and it was for that level of granularity IT has.
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 29
    sdw2001 said:
    Many large companies offer iPhones and iPads, including the one I work for. However, they install an MDM on iOS devices to control what you can and cannot do. I bet they'll add an option to Windows Server, for infosec IT departments, where they allow full granular control of all the browser's functionality. This way the MDM will not permit Safari to be installed and instead will auto install Edge. Our corporate issued non-prod iOS devices do something similar, they use BlackBerry Work, which is setup to not allow iMessage, Safari, App Store, Contacts, Calendar, or even the camera to work or install. They only allow email, calendar, browsing through the BlackBerry ecosystem, which they claim is more secure. It doesn't even allow Copy/Paste to anything outside BB Work. Until last month, our permitted browser has always been IE, and it was for that level of granularity IT has.
    I just wouldn't use the POS then....last time my company gave me something I didn't want to use it just sat in my closet for 2yrs until I finally let them know that. Then they gave me a real device, a MacBook Pro. 
    edited March 2018 magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    macxpress said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I just wouldn't use the POS then....last time my company gave me something I didn't want to use it just sat in my closet for 2yrs until I finally let them know that. Then they gave me a real device, a MacBook Pro. 
    It's not the same thing then, because you wouldn't have access to email without a corporate issued device. It's stupid I agree, but just saying that it's not the same thing to what you'd described. I have a MacBook Pro as well, but it sits in a Prod environment and can only access our guest WiFi. So all email and corporate collaborations happen on Windows.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 29

The prices you see today are the prices you're gonna see in the future. I don't see Apple lowering their prices anytime soon and quite frankly, they don't need to. If you can't afford one then you can't afford one. Its as simple as that. I'd love a new iMac, but I can't afford one so I just keep using my 2012 Mac Pro tower until I can afford an iMac configured the way I want it. 

Its like saying, I can't wait until BMW puts out a car I can afford...
    watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    bloggerblog said:
    It's not the same thing then, because you wouldn't have access to email without a corporate issued device.
    Just copy the server info onto your own device. Or can a mail server hardware-restrict access these days?
  • Reply 18 of 29
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    lmac said:
    Buy a used one. They are better than the new models.
    Sorry but that's just a load of BULL! I just dumped my 2015 MBP for a 2017 model, and I LOVE IT compared to my last one! Lighter, faster, loving the Touch Bar and MONSTER touchpad, and sorry, but for all those whining little idiots out there, the ThunderBolt 3 ports have been fantastic! Got myself a single Satechi USB-C multi-port adaptor and a Satechi USB-C PD / USB-A multi-port power charger, and I'm off to the races with 1 dongle and 1 charger, replacing 4 dongles and 2 charger bricks (for MBP and iOS), so I'm travelling much lighter, more conveniently, and faster.

People need to stop living in the past and bashing modern tech like mindless zombies and open their eyes a bit more!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:

The prices you see today are the prices you're gonna see in the future. I don't see Apple lowering their prices anytime soon and quite frankly, they don't need to. If you can't afford one then you can't afford one. Its as simple as that. I'd love a new iMac, but I can't afford one so I just keep using my 2012 Mac Pro tower until I can afford an iMac configured the way I want it. 

Its like saying, I can't wait until BMW puts out a car I can afford...
    That's not the direction Apple has been going.  Take a look at their iPhone, IPad and Watch line ups:  Each  includes a lower cost option while simultaneously maintaining their position with the high end gold standard product in each line up.

Meanwhile, the Mac line has languished because its been limited to only high cost options...  The sole exception is the MacMini which is so obsolete it doesn't count.

Sorry, this ain't 1984 anymore...  That marketing strategy no longer cuts it.

Apple has two possible routes:
    -- Develop a lower cost laptop (most likely an A series)
    -- Or, upgrade the iPad line to enable it to perform traditional laptop tasks efficiently and effectively
    Well, maybe there's a third route:   BOTH
    But, more of the same (yawn) is just not a viable option...
  • Reply 20 of 29
    bloggerblog said:
    It's not the same thing then, because you wouldn't have access to email without a corporate issued device.
    Just copy the server info onto your own device. Or can a mail server hardware-restrict access these days?
    The corporate url is restricted and encoded multiple times. It only works from a corporate issued device. If you get caught trying to bypass their system, you’ll be immediately terminated and will probably find it impossible to get hired by any company with a paranoid infosec  department :D
    tallest skilGeorgeBMac