Apple to host educational event in Chicago on March 27

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Lane Tech Prep, my dad’s (b. 1910) Alma mater! 
  • Reply 22 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Been waiting for this: budget iPad with Pencil. My kid needs to draw and I hate wasting papers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    78Bandit said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Chicago? 
    They want to show how bulletproof the new iPads and Macs are.
    Not funny. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 37
    well, nobody knew this was coming. delighted with the surprise. anything could happen, i’m excited.
    canukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 37
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    well, nobody knew this was coming. delighted with the surprise. anything could happen, i’m excited.
    True that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Given that we are pretty sure there will be a fair amount of software to talk about (iTunes U, Classroom, iBooks, iBooks Author), I'm not sure how much hardware there will be, though I'd hope for at least one new tool for teachers (something portable, given the "field trip" term, so either a "new" MBA/MB model or a new iPad model -- maybe a new Pencil!).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    5150iii5150iii Posts: 96member
    My first thought was that Chicago may be the location chosen for their new campus and they will announce that at this event.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook
    That "marzipan" project to integrate iOS apps and the macOS desktop has me curious.  Running iOS apps on a mac without a touch screen is a horrible experience.  I can't help to think that having an iPad that can also run macOS (A MacPad if you will) is a much better solution.  This would provide exciting new capabilities for the iPad - including popular mac apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, and Xcode.  MacOS also has some exciting new benefits - High refresh rate displays with Apple pencil support and an extremely portable solution with LTE capabilities.  Maybe this event will be the unveiling ... I know they claimed they would never make such a product but I think it would be foolish not too.  The iPad needs to grow beyond the "Big Phone App" experience .. and macOS is the logical next step.
    There's no need to "merge" the two OS's...
    Actually, they were separated from each other so Apple had an OS that worked well on the iPhone.  And they did that by stripping functionality from the Mac OS and adding touch screen functions to "create" iOS.

Since then the large screen iPad was born and more recently iOS was expanded to deal once again with a file system and an external keyboard.   Now all they have to do is add the cursor back in and they have an iPad that is fully functional as EITHER a tablet or a laptop as the user's needs demand.

They could also give the MB a touch screen.  But that is unlikely because, as they pointed out a couple years ago, touch screen laptops suck.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    urashid said:
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook
    That "marzipan" project to integrate iOS apps and the macOS desktop has me curious.  Running iOS apps on a mac without a touch screen is a horrible experience.  I can't help to think that having an iPad that can also run macOS (A MacPad if you will) is a much better solution.  This would provide exciting new capabilities for the iPad - including popular mac apps like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, and Xcode.  MacOS also has some exciting new benefits - High refresh rate displays with Apple pencil support and an extremely portable solution with LTE capabilities.  Maybe this event will be the unveiling ... I know they claimed they would never make such a product but I think it would be foolish not too.  The iPad needs to grow beyond the "Big Phone App" experience .. and macOS is the logical next step.
    MacOS on iPad will be a horrible user experience.  Desktop apps are designed with small targets, cursor position awareness, keyboard+mouse combinations etc.  That is the entire reason iOS UI was designed for touch input from the ground up (even as it shares the kernel with MacOS).  This experiment has already been tried by MS tablets with epic failure.  Apple will never do that.
    You set up a strawman and then shoot it down...  Good Job!

No, of course Apple has no intention of putting MacOS on the iPad.
    Instead, they have been quietly updating iOS to once again handle an external keyboard and provide it with a file system.   Now, all it needs is the ability to once again manage a cursor.  And we will have a full function iOS rather than the stripped down OS we have now...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for Apple on this one -- because, to date, they have done nothing but face plants in education.   Yes, they have done two very good things:
    1)  Produce an affordable iPad that could be attractive to schools.
    2)  Produce and disseminate SWIFT to make coding education more available.

But meanwhile, Google has been eating their lunch in education with their ultra cheap Chromebooks and dedicated education apps (like Google Classroom) which teachers can use to teach traditional subjects like the infamous 3 R's...  

And, in so doing, Google is indoctrinating kids at the grade school level into their ecosystem -- much like McDonald's did with their playgrounds and Happy Meals.  And, today schools are issuing kids their first personal ID accounts -- to the Google ecosystem...

I hope that Apple uses this opportunity to enter into mainstream education (much like it started to do back in the 80's).  To do that, they might have to buy or at least partner with a recognized education system such as Khan Academy...
  • Reply 31 of 37
    urashid said:
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook
    MacOS on iPad will be a horrible user experience.  Desktop apps are designed with small targets, cursor position awareness, keyboard+mouse combinations etc.  That is the entire reason iOS UI was designed for touch input from the ground up (even as it shares the kernel with MacOS).  This experiment has already been tried by MS tablets with epic failure.  Apple will never do that.
    The only thing Apple needs is a better keyboard cover, like the Microsoft's Surface Pro type cover with it's integrated track pad.  Also .. Apple is working on a haptic screen based keyboard according to recently filled patents.  One thing is certain ... the iPad is dying.  It either grows up to become a MacPad or it will die.  Apple needs to move now.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    urashid said:
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook
    The only thing Apple needs is a better keyboard cover, like the Microsoft's Surface Pro type cover with it's integrated track pad.  Also .. Apple is working on a haptic screen based keyboard according to recently filled patents.  One thing is certain ... the iPad is dying.  It either grows up to become a MacPad or it will die.  Apple needs to move now.
    I'm uncertain how you believe that 4.3 million devices a quarter is considered dying. On that metric, the Mac is dying too at 5 million a quarter -- when in fact it is very near the most Macs it has ever sold in a quarter.

Apple has 1/4 of the total tablet volume sold per year. It has been this way since the second quarter of 2013. I don't have ASP on hand, but I'd put money that it is leagues above any other company's offerings.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 33 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    5150iii said:
    My first thought was that Chicago may be the location chosen for their new campus and they will announce that at this event.
    Boy, I hope not. They'd have to make sure all employees were heavily armed just to go to work there.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I agree with the person who said Chromebooks are doing very well in education at the moment. I wonder if Apple is going to release a Chromebook competitor in the form of a revamped Macbook Air.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    urashidurashid Posts: 127member
    urashid said:
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook

Instead, they have been quietly updating iOS to once again handle an external keyboard and provide it with a file system.   Now, all it needs is the ability to once again manage a cursor.  And we will have a full function iOS rather than the stripped down OS we have now...
    @GeorgeBMac, Thanks for your comment, but why do you say I "... set up a strawman"?  I was replying to @TEAMSWITCHER's comment about running MacOS on iPad.  Here is a direct quote from his post:

I can't help to think that having an iPad that can also run macOS (A MacPad if you will) is a much better solution

Did I misunderstand something?
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 36 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Latest rumors have a $250 iPad coming, as well as the distinct possibility of a more affordable MacBook 
  • Reply 37 of 37
    urashid said:
    urashid said:
    herbapou said:
    Low cost macbook

@GeorgeBMac, Thanks for your comment, but why do you say I "... set up a strawman"?  I was replying to @TEAMSWITCHER's comment about running MacOS on iPad.  Here is a direct quote from his post:

I can't help to think that having an iPad that can also run macOS (A MacPad if you will) is a much better solution

Did I misunderstand something?
    No, I did.
    ... My apologies...
    urashid