Microsoft's Edge browser comes to Apple's iPad in beta release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Microsoft has been going very cross platform lately!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    lmac said:
    I can't wait till Apple puts out a Mac I can afford -- so I don't even have think about this nonsense anymore...
    Buy a used one. They are better than the new models.
    Sorry but that's just a load of BULL! I just dumped my 2015 MBP for a 2017 model, and I LOVE IT compared to my last one! Lighter, faster, loving the Touch Bar and MONSTER touchpad, and sorry, but for all those whining little idiots out there, the ThunderBolt 3 ports have been fantastic! Got myself a single Satechi USB-C multi-port adaptor and a Satechi USB-C PD / USB-A multi-port power charger, and I'm off to the races with 1 dongle and 1 charger, replacing 4 dongles and 2 charger bricks (for MBP and iOS), so I'm travelling much lighter, more conveniently, and faster.

People need to stop living in the past and bashing modern tech like mindless zombies and open their eyes a bit more!

I just got a 15" MBP to replace my 2011 Air. It's a great machine - fast with a far better screen, but the Touch Bar is mainly a Gimmick that I rarely use, and give me the MagSafe connector any day over USB C for charging. Far easier to connect and I really miss the green LED to let you know when it's done charging. You can't even wrap the USB C cable around the adapter. I got a dongle to use my USB A devices with it, but would it have killed Apple to replace even one of the 4 USB C ports with a USB A? You may be lighter, but I'm heaver and less convenient with the new machine.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 23 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Still behind in many features and having to kludge my sites to adapt to this browser...
    ut in the work to actually follow standards!!!
    Even stupid "details" html tag still doesn't work! Man.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bloggerblog said:
    It's not the same thing then, because you wouldn't have access to email without a corporate issued device.
    Just copy the server info onto your own device. Or can a mail server hardware-restrict access these days?
    The corporate url is restricted and encoded multiple times. It only works from a corporate issued device. If you get caught trying to bypass their system, you’ll be immediately terminated and will probably find it impossible to get hired by any company with a paranoid infosec  department :D
    Aren't they kinda paid to be paranoid?
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    williamh said:
    This will be huge!  Dozens of users. 
    LOL, Shame Netscape couldn't be reborn and outsell Microsoft.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    macxpress said:
    I can't wait till Apple puts out a Mac I can afford -- so I don't even have think about this nonsense anymore...

The prices you see today are the prices you're gonna see in the future. I don't see Apple lowering their prices anytime soon and quite frankly, they don't need to. If you can't afford one then you can't afford one. Its as simple as that. I'd love a new iMac, but I can't afford one so I just keep using my 2012 Mac Pro tower until I can afford an iMac configured the way I want it. 

Its like saying, I can't wait until BMW puts out a car I can afford...
    That's not the direction Apple has been going.  Take a look at their iPhone, IPad and Watch line ups:  Each  includes a lower cost option while simultaneously maintaining their position with the high end gold standard product in each line up.

Meanwhile, the Mac line has languished because its been limited to only high cost options...  The sole exception is the MacMini which is so obsolete it doesn't count.

Sorry, this ain't 1984 anymore...  That marketing strategy no longer cuts it.

Apple has two possible routes:
    -- Develop a lower cost laptop (most likely an A series)
    -- Or, upgrade the iPad line to enable it to perform traditional laptop tasks efficiently and effectively
    Well, maybe there's a third route:   BOTH
    But, more of the same (yawn) is just not a viable option...
    Yeah, the problem you have there is that Apple's highest-price iPhoneX has been outselling the lower-priced 8. And the new line in MacBooks, despite their higher prices are selling better than ever. 'The Mac line is languishing' thing  is just a meme made up by folk who want Apple to give them a high-end laptop for nothing.

What Apple is most likely going to do is develop a line of iPads for the education sector by the looks of it. But if they're selling MacBooks as fast as they can make them, then I don't see them making a lower cost version any time soon.

As I'm always saying, you're probably not their target demographic, so rather than waiting for something that might not happen, you'd be better off moving to a cheap Windows laptop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    bloggerblog said:
    It's not the same thing then, because you wouldn't have access to email without a corporate issued device.
    Just copy the server info onto your own device. Or can a mail server hardware-restrict access these days?
    The corporate url is restricted and encoded multiple times. It only works from a corporate issued device. If you get caught trying to bypass their system, you’ll be immediately terminated and will probably find it impossible to get hired by any company with a paranoid infosec  department :D
    Aren't they kinda paid to be paranoid?
    I prefer reasonable and well informed. Paranoia is a product of being neither.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Bing as forced search engine?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Microsoft specialzing in Internet browsers resembles their mobile attemts slowly. The only reason their browsers survive is because of pre-existing buisness market and even that goes down to drain as companies start mandating Chrome even in finance. That is because of modern development kits that make browser irrelevant and if established kit is tricked out by some browsser engine "innovation" then that innovator will likely be marginalized for incompatibilities. Right, incompatibilities is menace at Microsoft browser business. That is reason why businesses drop IE slowly and I bet Edge is not going to replace it with any success. There are only two considered now: Chrome and Firefox with IE remaining and dwindling existing footprint.