Grading the rumors -- assessing Apple's possible releases at the Chicago event on March 27...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    An iPad in a Chromebook form factor (i.e. keyboard permanently attached) with the App Store somehow limited to education only apps, or pointed at the school's own app store (Apple could host the school's individual app stores for them in the cloud, rather than the schools having to provision their own local server). 

But even though it's a laptop form factor it wouldn't necessarily need to support a full desktop with as many windows as you want. iOS already has side by side windows and a dock which should be enough for school work.
    rare comment
  • Reply 22 of 43
    deepen03deepen03 Posts: 101member
    There will definitely be new iPads.

My prediction is the MacBook is reduced to $999 and refreshed with 8th gen U series chips, while the Air is discontinued.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    tonghitonghi Posts: 6member
    I agree that software will be the main focus. Classroom yes, maybe new educational focused software and device management. I wouldn't be surprised if there is software targeted to the Apple TV.

With the issues confronting accessibility compliance with PDFs, an update of Pages that makes it easier to create great ePubs would be welcome. Or if Apple updates (i)Books Author to be a better tool for ePub creation that would work too.

That invite looks like it was drawn with the Apple Pencil, so let's hope a new pencil is bundled like in an iPad, Pencil + Smart Keyboard for a special education price!

• Reply 24 of 43
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What? No bullet resistant casings on Macs and iPads?
  • Reply 25 of 43

I wonder if this event will be streamed.

Yes, just not live streamed. They said they'll post it later in the day.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Soli said:

And I assume this is most likely because its A, not for the general public to begin with so most don't really care. Schools aren't going to stop classes to watch an Apple Keynote address. B, possibly the school district doesn't have the necessary network infrastructure to stream such an event and Apple isn't going to bring in a bunch of equipment that is pretty remote from where they normally stream from just for an educational event. They can simply record it, prep it for streaming and stream it later on for anyone to see at their leisure. 
  • Reply 27 of 43
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

And I assume this is most likely because its A, not for the general public to begin with so most don't really care. Schools aren't going to stop classes to watch an Apple Keynote address. B, possibly the school district doesn't have the necessary network infrastructure to stream such an event and Apple isn't going to bring in a bunch of equipment that is pretty remote from where they normally stream from just for an educational event. They can simply record it, prep it for streaming and stream it later on for anyone to see at their leisure. 
    If the live streaming was that important to Apple I think they could've found a school with the appropriate infrastructure. That's one of the reason I think this will be as humdrum as the iBooks Author event years ago.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    lkrupp said:
    My prediction? No hardware announcements at all. Apple has not said a word about new or updated products coming. All this speculation will do is raise expectations that will inevitably lead to pronouncements of disappointment and dismay at the conclusion of the event. It’s like a broken record.
    And what is the point of the Pencil style drawing on the Event Logo? Either it's a cheaper iPad with Pencil or cheaper pencil.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Looking forward to watching the event once its available on the Apple Events app on my TV, and like everyone else on here I'm wondering what they're gonna announce!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

The school, and many like it, are on spring break.

And, as a reminder, the 2017 iPad fifth generation was a press release. No event at all.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I'm expecting info about perhaps a new iPad, but mainly I'm thinking this will be a software heavy presentation.  they will talk about app support and how iOS can be leveraged for students/teachers.  I'm expecting a glimpse at the next few months of iOS before the yearly refresh in 6 months.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    ascii said:
    An iPad in a Chromebook form factor (i.e. keyboard permanently attached) with the App Store somehow limited to education only apps, or pointed at the school's own app store (Apple could host the school's individual app stores for them in the cloud, rather than the schools having to provision their own local server). 

But even though it's a laptop form factor it wouldn't necessarily need to support a full desktop with as many windows as you want. iOS already has side by side windows and a dock which should be enough for school work.
    and they could call it the iBook.  http://q10a1.blogspot.com/2017/03/ibook.html
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Soli said:

lack of livestream suggests audience participation.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Soli said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

If the live streaming was that important to Apple I think they could've found a school with the appropriate infrastructure. That's one of the reason I think this will be as humdrum as the iBooks Author event years ago.
    apple can afford to bring the network infrastructure.  my guess: audience participation and so need to avoid the risks of livestream
  • Reply 35 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Apple ClassRoom looks like a fabulous foundation for a great product.
    But, to succeed, it will need great apps on top of it that provide high quality learning material.

Also, education is moving out of of the centralized classroom with the teacher acting as an orchestra conductor towards more independent learning -- both in the classroom as well as outside of the classroom.  I am hopeful that Apple can anticipate and incorporate that trend into their educational products...

I think it's important for Apple to do this quickly because momentum is building against them:
    Not only are students and teachers becoming immersed and indoctrinated into the Google learning environment, so too are school IT administrators becoming more comfortable administering and maintaining that hardware and software environment.
    ... Once it reaches critical mass...
    Eh. Growing up my schools had crappy IBM brand PCs for us to work on. They seemed ghetto. From what I hear the google hardware is the same, non-premium. This doesn’t exactly draw one in. 
    It doesn't draw you in.   It DOES draw in cash strapped school districts who need viable solutions.   Google provides quality educational programs at low cost...   They have no reason to choose Apple except as an add-on.

My grandson's school did teach him how to create & edit videos on iPads.   The rest -- mostly math -- is done on chromebooks using Google Classroom -- both in school and at home.  He actually doesn't think he can use a Mac to do that.   Brainwashed at 11.

Apple has some catching up to do if they want to stay relevant in that market because Google took a lesson from Apple and provided the whole, integrated package that "just works".
    But you completely missed my point - just because you used crappy computers as a child doesn’t mean you’re going to yearn for them as an adult consumer. Thus my example from when I was kid using crappy hardware. Schools go for cheap barebone crap. That isn’t appealing when you have a better budget at home. 
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Soli said:

It is live streamed. Apple TV was updated with the event.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

Look at Apple TV. It's updated with the event logo. That means there'll be a live stream.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple ClassRoom looks like a fabulous foundation for a great product.
    But, to succeed, it will need great apps on top of it that provide high quality learning material.

Also, education is moving out of of the centralized classroom with the teacher acting as an orchestra conductor towards more independent learning -- both in the classroom as well as outside of the classroom.  I am hopeful that Apple can anticipate and incorporate that trend into their educational products...

I think it's important for Apple to do this quickly because momentum is building against them:
    Not only are students and teachers becoming immersed and indoctrinated into the Google learning environment, so too are school IT administrators becoming more comfortable administering and maintaining that hardware and software environment.
    ... Once it reaches critical mass...
    Eh. Growing up my schools had crappy IBM brand PCs for us to work on. They seemed ghetto. From what I hear the google hardware is the same, non-premium. This doesn’t exactly draw one in. 
    Why do classrooms need “premium” products?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Let’s remember the invitation said education event, not spring hardware event. If we see any hardware it will be education focused.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    fallenjt said:
    macxpress said:
    Soli said:

Look at Apple TV. It's updated with the event logo. That means there'll be a live stream.
    An event logo just means there’s an event. As far as we’ve been told, we are going old school live blog with our guy on the scene.