Details of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 with official eGPU support prematurely hit French App...

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2018
The French app store let the High Sierra release notes slip a little early, suggesting that the most recent beta is extremely close to release and will include official support for external GPU technology.

First spotted by French site MacGeneration, the notes summarize what's already been spotted in the beta, for the most part. The biggest addition is the launch of official eGPU support which saw a dramatic cut-back in beta 5, by disallowing older Thunderbolt 2 machines from using the technology.

The new High Sierra 10.13.4 now incorporates Messages in iCloud, a feature that synchronizes a user's Messages "stack" between multiple devices logged in to the same iCloud account. High Sierra 10.13.4 is also the first one to warn users that they are running 32-bit apps. Apple has previously stated that High Sierra is the last Mac operating system that will run the older apps "without compromise."

Beta 2 also changes the name of the iBooks app to "Books." It appears to be mirroring the rebranding, and potential re-design, of the app on iOS, but a timetable for changes beyond just the name aren't clear.

Other additions noted in the release notes include the launch of Business Chat in Messages in the United States and Canada, resolution of a graphical corruption issue with the iMac Pro, and a fix for Messages being listed out of order.

The English language release notes remain essentially non-existent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Interesting! I wonder if Apple will release an eGPU box of their own, or just leave it up to third parties. Or maybe release an external monitor that you connect to via TB3 and it has a GPU inside it.

Edit: or maybe the eGPU technology is not for monitors at all, but for a TB3 connected VR headset that needs a little on-board GPU to work properly (90 frames per second)
    edited March 2018 Eric_WVGG
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Sigh...goodbye Quicktime 7 Pro.
    edited March 2018 ocelotwreak
  • Reply 3 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jridder said:
    Change or die. Standing still will do you in.
    magman1979
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    jridder said:
    Yea, I love QT 7 Pro. Can quickly open a video and cut out the crap you don't want and save and be done. QT X is terrible. It works backwards to me, you cut out the part that you want and I don't like that way. QT 7 was the best!
    sennen
  • Reply 5 of 18
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Kudo’s Tim. 
    Just amazing what a trillion dollar company with its endless resources of engineers can achieve...
    edited March 2018 magman1979
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ascii said:
    Interesting! I wonder if Apple will release an eGPU box of their own, or just leave it up to third parties. Or maybe release an external monitor that you connect to via TB3 and it has a GPU inside it.

Edit: or maybe the eGPU technology is not for monitors at all, but for a TB3 connected VR headset that needs a little on-board GPU to work properly (90 frames per second)
    Apple pushed VR headsets pretty heavy during the rollout at WWDC.

That said, the two 4K displays I use every day to generate content here are fed through mine, both at 4K60.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    ascii said:

Releasing a display with a built in GPU sounds nice in someways, but unless its interchangeable, I think its a waste. I don't see Apple releasing any kind of display with an interchangeable video card as then they'd have to make the display 3" thick to accommodate it with an access panel. This just doesn't fit Apple's designs. You really don't gain much by doing this and then what do you do when your GPU is out of date? You basically end up with an expensive display with an out of date video card embedded into it.

I'd rather just use a true eGPU enclosure and Apple should start supporting more 3rd party video cards (boot menu support, etc). Or, use the onboard graphics for the boot menu and then switch over to the eGPU.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    ascii said:
    This seems like the kind of product Apple would leave to third parties. There are already quite a few options including Sonnet's Pucks http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-puck.html

The monitor idea seems interesting but I suspect (as Macxpress said) most hard-core users will want an upgradable GPU
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 966member
    ascii said:
    I totally expect this to happen. I can't think of a single major API or driver Apple has developed that wasn't explicitly for some sort of product that they wanted to sell. 

It's also pretty clear that Apple doesn't really "like" including discrete GPUs on Macbook Pros. Back in the PowerPC and early Intel days it was possible to get Pros that didn't have discrete chips at all, and the built-to-order models (like my 2016) are frequently rusty out of the gate. 

macxpress said:

Releasing a display with a built in GPU sounds nice in someways, but unless its interchangeable, I think its a waste. I don't see Apple releasing any kind of display with an interchangeable video card as then they'd have to make the display 3" thick to accommodate it with an access panel. This just doesn't fit Apple's designs. 
    Eh? It'd just be a next-generation Thunderbolt display built off modern iMac designs and coolers. A GPU similar to the one in an iMac Pro wouldn't be cheap, but worth every penny to graphic professionals.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    bengbeng Posts: 34member
    My top of the line 2013 MBP Retina is T2. Is there any hope? My machine is only ½ inch from the newest/greatest, so I have no reason to upgrade.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Wonder if this is an indication that today is the day they release the goods :)
  • Reply 12 of 18
    beng said:
    My top of the line 2013 MBP Retina is T2. Is there any hope? My machine is only ½ inch from the newest/greatest, so I have no reason to upgrade.
    I suspect the eGPU community will deploy something similar to what it did for Sierra, and what's necessary now for cards (including all of them from Nvidia) that aren't officially supported by Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Latko said:
    Kudo’s Tim. 
    Just amazing what a trillion dollar company with its endless resources of engineers can achieve...
    Horsefeathers. There are long stading bugs in X that never showed their heads before, even in OS9. And where the frak is the suport they SAID would happen when they released Sierra to support arrays in APFS? Nowhere... and no word they are even making an effort. Engineering being run by marketing does NOT make for what we saw them accomplaish in the old days... guys like Hertzfeld and Atkinson could always make stuff work... obviously, the current crew has major issues.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    paulcons said:
    Latko said:
    Kudo’s Tim. 
    Horsefeathers. There are long stading bugs in X that never showed their heads before, even in OS9. And where the frak is the suport they SAID would happen when they released Sierra to support arrays in APFS? Nowhere... and no word they are even making an effort. Engineering being run by marketing does NOT make for what we saw them accomplaish in the old days... guys like Hertzfeld and Atkinson could always make stuff work... obviously, the current crew has major issues.
    Maybe there's problems in Cupertino, and maybe not. But, guys like Hertzfeld and Atkinson had a thousandth of the number of users that they had to deal with versus what the current crop has, and to say that they didn't ship terrible bugs is just being ignorant of history.
    edited March 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Eric_WVGG said:

macxpress said:

Releasing a display with a built in GPU sounds nice in someways, but unless its interchangeable, I think its a waste. I don't see Apple releasing any kind of display with an interchangeable video card as then they'd have to make the display 3" thick to accommodate it with an access panel. This just doesn't fit Apple's designs. 
    Eh? It'd just be a next-generation Thunderbolt display built off modern iMac designs and coolers. A GPU similar to the one in an iMac Pro wouldn't be cheap, but worth every penny to graphic professionals.
    And in year or two when its out of date and not replaceable what do you do? I know what Apple would make. Yes, it would be a thin display obviously. A display with a built in GPU wouldn't be in Apple's best interest. Let 3rd parties handle that and Apple can focus on making it all work. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:

Apple pushed VR headsets pretty heavy during the rollout at WWDC.

That said, the two 4K displays I use every day to generate content here are fed through mine, both at 4K60.
    And this year's WWDC invitation video has all the 3d objects. I think they will release a VR headset at WWDC with Final Cut Pro and Xcode both updated to use it. It would be surprising if they released a new Mac peripheral and didn't update some of their own apps to use it.

And maybe the reason they didn't update the Mac desktop to use touch is that they intend the next Mac desktop to be VR? But that seems a bit far fetched! A bit too "university lab" than commercial product. I think it will just be individual apps they update.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    cashxx said:
    jridder said:
    Yea, I love QT 7 Pro. Can quickly open a video and cut out the crap you don't want and save and be done. QT X is terrible. It works backwards to me, you cut out the part that you want and I don't like that way. QT 7 was the best!
    I still use QT 7 Pro fairly regularly, if not quite daily. At least I'll still be able to use it on my ElCap partition (along with FCP7 etc!).
  • Reply 18 of 18
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    beng said:
    A funny conclusion (but tragic at the same time) in the light of what Joni achieved in the last 4/5 years
    edited March 2018