Siri voice control options added for Tesla Model 3 owners

Posted:
in iPhone
Owners of the Model 3 -- Tesla's first mass-market EV -- can now use Siri voice commands for a select range of functions.

These include things like unlocking doors, honking the horn, checking power levels, and locating the vehicle, Engadget said on Wednesday. Similar commands have been available to Model S and X owners since November.

Crucially, Siri commands won't work while a Model 3 is in motion. At that point drivers are dependent on Tesla's own voice system, which at the moment is intended strictly for calling and navigation. CEO Elon Musk recently revealed that people will be able to do "pretty much anything" in the near future -- an important point given that most controls in the 3 are found in touchscreen menus.

Tesla just recently began taking Apple Pay for the $1,000 required to reserve a Model 3. The platform can't be used to pay for the vehicle itself though, and forecast delivery times are sitting between 12 and 18 months due to overwhelming demand and the slow ramp-up of production capacity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    As of January 3rd, Tesla had only shipped 1550 Model 3's.  
  • Reply 2 of 7
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    zoetmb said:
    Yeah. I was willing to give them some time for teething pains after production started. But now not so much. They need to get these things rolling out, or Tesla is going to be an a bunch of trouble. They're still losing money. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Ok I couldn't resist .... ( p.s.I love Siri :) )

"Jim, I can look up 'for god's sake brake now' on Wikipedia, would you like me ........
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    zoetmb said:
    and 1549 of them were employees...lol
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    DAalseth said:
    zoetmb said:
    Yeah. I was willing to give them some time for teething pains after production started. But now not so much. They need to get these things rolling out, or Tesla is going to be an a bunch of trouble. They're still losing money. 
    I think Tesla is already in trouble...they can't get any product out the door. The product they do get out the door isn't all that great. All of the other manufacturers are catching up and they already have the assembly production capacity in place. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    zoetmb said:
    Based on VIN numbers Tesla was estimated to have shipped a bit over 10,000 units as of yesterday, currently producing approx. 800 a week. 

EDIT: Here's a great link for keeping up with Model 3 production...
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    MacPro said:
    Ok I couldn't resist .... ( p.s.I love Siri :) )

"Jim, I can look up 'for god's sake brake now' on Wikipedia, would you like me ........
    God, I got a huge laugh out of that. It happens to me often, and for some reason far more now then in years past.

I'm hoping the HomePod (when I get one) will hear me much more accurately, and give Siri a little help.

That Uber driver could have used Siri to read whatever was so interesting on the phone. (No, I have no idea if he/she was looking at a phone.)