Apple's newest iPhone X ad hypes Face ID & Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's latest lifestyle ad for the iPhone X, "Fly Market," once again concentrates on the device's TrueDepth camera, in this case its usefulness with Face ID and Apple Pay.

The ad's protagonist is walking through a market with friends when he spots a hat he wants. As he keeps going, he buys more and more fashion accessories with his iPhone, each one accompanied by the "approved" chime heard when using Apple Pay.

By the end of the spot the character has completely changed his appearance, and bought his mother new furniture as well.

The soundtrack for the commercial is "Back Pocket," a song by funk band Vulfpeck.

Last week the company released another Face ID-themed ad, "Unlock,", likewise featuring a character waltzing through an environment using the magical powers of their iPhone X.

When not concentrated on Face ID, Apple has often hyped animoji -- CG characters in Messages that let people record short animations using their real expressions. The company has sometimes directed its attention to features beyond the TrueDepth camera though, such as video capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Yeah it's actually really cool, along with the Unlock ad we seen last week.
    bshankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yeah but wait until the bill comes due!
    king editor the gratebshankwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 3 of 11
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    If these phones could only unlock prison cells. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Great ad. Honestly I miss Apple Pay on the with touch ID, it was faster and felt more natural for me. I sometimes till forget to that I have to double click the side button and look at the screen for the payment to be processed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Perhaps a tad better if he'd used Face ID again after donning glasses. I'm finding some people still believe Face ID doesn't work in the dark or with facial add-ons.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    cpsro said:
    Perhaps a tad better if he'd used Face ID again after donning glasses. I'm finding some people still believe Face ID doesn't work in the dark or with facial add-ons.
    Yes. Pop on some totally black ones like my prescription Oakley sunglasses. Which immediately unlock my iPhone X. (I was impressed). I trained my iPhone with my normal glasses on, works fine at night in the dark when I’m not wearing them...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    cpsro said:
    It works incredibly well, even as a huge Apple fan I was surprised at how good Face ID actually is.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Saw this commercial last night, when it was over my wife and I were both confused.  My take away was "Apple pay makes you dress like Bruno Mars".  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The beat
     on this song sounds like clouds by Prince an its kinda kool
  • Reply 10 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Paying with a glance still seems inherently less within the control of the user than Touch ID. I can think of a number of scenarios where a glance could accidentally trigger Apple Pay, but fewer cases where Touch ID could be accidentally triggered at the point of sale.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 11 of 11
    misstonyamisstonya Posts: 1member
    Always a fan of IPhone, photo ID not to impressed, not working efficiently. But would love to know the “ Fly Market “ guys name!