Apple pulls back curtain for rare, exhilarating look at Spike Jonze HomePod ad production

Posted:
in General Discussion
The production of "Welcome Home," Apple's recent HomePod commercial directed by Spike Jonze and starring musician and dancer FKA twigs, is available, showing reliance on practical effects, more than CGI.

The video published by Adweek features interviews with Jonze and his choreographer, Ryan Heffington, as well as movement coach Theo Lowe. Performer FKA twigs was just one of a number of people who audtioned for the lead, and the fact that the commercial's room-stretching special effects actually relied on relatively few computer graphics.

The cinematography for the ad was done by Hoyte Van Hoytema, who recently received an Oscar nomination for his work on Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk."

Jonze is well-known as both a music video and feature film director. Some of his better-known features include the film detailing a romance with a Siri-esque digital assistant "Her," plus "Where the Wild Things Are," and "Being John Malkovich." The musicians he's worked with include Lady Gaga, Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, and the Beastie Boys.

While Apple has insisted that it's pleased with HomePod sales, some reports have claimed that numbers have been lower than expected. That could be attributable to its $349 pricetag -- higher than most smartspeakers from Amazon and Google -- and complaints about the ineffectiveness of Siri, including from AppleInsider. Apple's marketing has concentrated heavily on music, pushing things like smarthome functions into the background.

The company is rumored to be working on a cheaper HomePod model for launch in the second half of 2018. It might still cost between $150 and $200, putting it well beyond the $49-50 of the Google Home Mini and Amazon Echo Dot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    "Siri, play me something I'd like"
    Siri: "Ok, here's what I've found about a lake"
    irelandking editor the gratebloggerblogtechprod1gySpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It’s not a film. It’s a short ad.

The making of it is far more interesting than the actual ad.
    edited March 2018 bloggerblogSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ireland said:
    It’s not a film. It’s a short ad.

The making of it is far more interesting than the actual ad.
    More like an exceptionally long ad, but yeah it’s an ad (and a film). 
    macguiSpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    randominternetperson said:
    More like an exceptionally long ad, but yeah it’s an ad (and a film). 
    As an ad, there's nothing short about it. And yeah, it's both.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member

bitmod said:
    "Siri, play me something I'd like"
    Siri: "Ok, here's what I've found about a lake"
    'Ok, here's what I've found out about bikes.'

Geeze, been there too many times.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I look forward to the day we lose "hey Siri" and can personalise commands. It would be a dream come true for me to issue a request such as "HAL, how did my power use balance out for the day?" and hear a Douglas-Rain-like voice respond. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Rain.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 9
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Stick w your dot and quit whining 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    NemWanNemWan Posts: 118member
    You know that any praise for CGI is completely out of fashion when we're talking up the practical effects in a commercial for a computer company.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I felt this particular ad was highly derivative of the “library scene” in Interstellar (which was also largely a practical set). Also, it was visually diverting, but added absolutely nothing to a consumers understanding of the service. In that respect, it’s a bad ad.
    edited March 2018