Some early Samsung Galaxy S9 owners beset by touchscreen, data, lens flare issues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2018
Some owners of Apple's chief competition against the iPhone X -- the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ -- are encountering problems with the responsiveness of touchscreens, excessive lens flare, and inaccurate data use tracking according to user complaints on assorted forums.

Samsung Galaxy S9 smartphone

The touchscreen issues can potentially be resolved by increasing sensitivity or performing a factory reset, but some owners have had to swap for a new phone, according to posts on official Samsung forums and outside sites like Reddit. Samsung has already acknowledged the situation, though a solution isn't immediately forthcoming.

"We are looking into a limited number of reports of Galaxy S9/S9+ touchscreen responsiveness isues," the company said in a statement to Engadget. "We are working with affected customers and investigating."

The S9 just recently debuted, and much is riding on it as one of Samsung's flagship phones. The company's other flagship series -- the Galaxy Note -- probably won't see an update until this fall.

The scope of the touchscreen flaw is unknown, but Samsung is likely eager to prevent a scandal like its disastrous Note 7 launch in 2016. The phone was on the market for less than two months as a result of a string of battery fires, which cost the company billions of dollars.

The S9 lens flare issue, highlighted by PiunikaWeb, appears to happen when shooting in sunlight from certain angles. Samsung support has allegedly blamed the problem on the phone's dual-aperture camera, which can switch from f/2.4 to f/1.5 for low light or creating depth-of-field effects.

Two other issues, also noted by PiunikaWeb, involve T-Mobile. The first involves VPN use or third-party ad-blocker, AdGuard, causing data to be counted against hotspot limits rather than regular traffic.

Additionally, some T-Mobile users are also finding a "Separate App Sound" option missing from settings. With other carriers, this lets the S9 push audio from a specific app to an external speaker similar to AirPlay while other apps keep playing locally.

Less serious difficulties may include slow wired or wireless charging, and sporadic freezing.

Samsung has not commented on the Separate App Sound issue, nor has it made any remark about the traffic-counting oddity.

Apple devices have suffered their own touchscreen problems in the past. In 2016, the company was forced to respond to a "touch disease" affecting the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. A flickering band onscreen foreshadowed poor touch response.

Like the iPhone X, the Galaxy S9 has an edge-to-edge OLED touchscreen. New features apparently targeting the X include "AR Emoji," similar to Apple's animoji, and "Intelligent Scan," squaring off against Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Perhaps every new Samsung phone should ship with a lens hood?
    fotoformatwatto_cobrabb-15magman1979lamboaudi4jony0
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Can you imagine how the mainstream media would be reporting this if it were a new iPhone?
    lkruppStrangeDayslordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobrawlymbb-15magman1979lamboaudi4jony0
  • Reply 3 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    No biggie, it's Samsung. Their phones can literally explode, burn down cars, and delay flights and nobody cares. But micro-abrasions on an iPhone and there's hell to pay.
    lordjohnwhorfinCesar Battistini Mazieroradarthekatwatto_cobramike1lkruppRonnnieOmagman1979lamboaudi4h2p
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No biggie, it's Samsung. Their phones can literally explode, burn down cars, and delay flights and nobody cares. But micro-abrasions on an iPhone and there's hell to pay.
    Absolutely, but I’ll say the same thing that I say when this sort of crap lands on Apple: a few comments on Reddit does not point to a widespread problem. 

… except the exploding phone thing. That was a problem. 
    edited March 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobraracerhomie3jony0
  • Reply 5 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    All I can say is, I’m so happy Samsung represents “Apple's chief competition.”  Because Apple is clearly expanding the distance between #1 (iPhone) and #2 (top of line Galaxy phones).
    watto_cobraRonnnieOracerhomie3magman1979lamboaudi4h2pjony0
  • Reply 6 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    They're just 'holding to wrong' ... 
    watto_cobrarich gregory
  • Reply 7 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jsmythe00 said:

Here's a good questions. With exploding note 7 phones, people STILL refused to turn their phones in. This was inspite of getting deep discounts, replacements, credit etc. I mean the phones were literally blowing up and folks hung in their

Why do you think that was?
    A religious cult attachment just like Apple users are accused of only, because it’s Samsung, nobody cares. 
    racerhomie3magman1979radarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jsmythe00 said:

Here's a good questions. With exploding note 7 phones, people STILL refused to turn their phones in. This was inspite of getting deep discounts, replacements, credit etc. I mean the phones were literally blowing up and folks hung in their

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias

I know someone who kept their Note 7 until the bitter end. He literally said, “I don’t think it will happen [to me].”
    edited March 2018 magman1979h2pwatto_cobraanton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 9 of 25
    J.J. Abrams:  Excessive lens flare, you say?
    king editor the grateartdentmagman1979StrangeDaysh2panton zuykov
  • Reply 10 of 25
    DereknotjeterDereknotjeter Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
  • Reply 11 of 25
    giraffe said:
    iPhone x and iPhone 8 plus both suffer from excessive lens flare!
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Perhaps every new Samsung phone should ship with a lens hood?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/huge-defect-with-the-camera-extreme-lens-flare.2085341/

Funny thing is my iPhone x and iPhone 8 plus both suffer from the same issue! 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jsmythe00 said:

Because burning to death is infinitely better than letting iSheep get one over you. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobraanton zuykovglynh
  • Reply 14 of 25
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    A pathetic joke of a phone.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25

jsmythe00 said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimism_bias

I know someone who kept their Note 7 until the bitter end. He literally said, “I don’t think it will happen [to me].”
    Wow. They were offering a new phone, so why risk it?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    giraffe said:
    iPhone x and iPhone 8 plus both suffer from excessive lens flare!
    Any lens with that short a focal length will suffer from lens flare. I get it on my 12-24mm lens when not shading the lens from the sun. With short focal length lenses, standard lens hoods are not that great. That's why I wear a hat when going on shoots. The hat strategically placed makes a great anti-flare device.
    I can't recall ever seeing a phone camera user provide any shading to reduce lens flare.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member

Three posts and all on the same subject? You work for Samsung?
    magman1979StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 18 of 25
    The replacement wasn’t a Note. He wanted the Note for the stylus features. He used it like a Windows CE PDA from the late 1990s.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    When the S9 came out I was confused, like what have they been doing for the last year, don't they realise the mobile phone space is highly competitive and they can't just rest on their laurels like that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    no #touchgate? no #flaregate? weird. almost like there is a bias, but no, no, no--it is probably because it is a superior phone ... eye roll.
    watto_cobra