New 9.7" iPad expected to support Apple Pencil, be 70 percent of 2018 sales

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2020
The iPad and Apple Pencil both appear to be on the cusp of massive growth, with a new low-price iPad coming that is expected to support the peripheral imminent at Apple's "Field Trip" event, if a report from the supply chain is to be believed.

In a research note penned by KGI securities, and seen by AppleInsider, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is expecting very strong demand for any new iPad released at the education-centric "Field Trip" event. Additionally, what appears to be Apple Pencil compatibility will not only make the new model 70 percent of iPad sales for 2018 -- but will induce gains in the educational and commercial markets for the device.

Kuo's note focuses mainly on the supply chain boosts that are likely to happen as a result of the iPad's predicted success. The Apple Pencil will climb to 10 million units, versus about 4.5 million in 2017, boosting supplier Compal, Unimicron, Unitech, and Simplo's bottom lines.

A previously predicted new iPad Pro with the TrueDepth camera system and Face ID is not expected to launch until the third quarter of 2018.

Casting a pallor over the note, Kuo makes some assumptions about the iPad Mini that don't appear accurate, though. Claiming the the iPad Mini was a "flop" doesn't measure up with Apple's statements on the matter, with Apple CEO Tim Cook having previously celebrated the success of the line.

Rumors from mid-January of 2017 suggested that the second iteration of the product was expected, with at the very least a magnetic system allowing it to attach to the side of an iPad. More recently, Jun Zhang from Rosenblatt Securities suggested that a new Apple Pencil was coming in the fall in conjunction with the annual iPhone flagship refresh.

At present, the $99 Apple Pencil is intended to serve primarily as a drawing and writing tool. It features advanced sensors for tilt and pressure sensitivity, allowing greater precision than a typical stylus.

New iPads coming at the event are practically a guarantee. International regulatory filings in February, which have always preceded a new release, confirmed the existence, if not the release timing, of the new tablets.

Given the education-centric venue and theme of the event, if these new iPads are going to be released at the event, then they are probably focused on updating the hardware, bringing the cost of acquisition even lower, or both.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    If this is an iPad with pencils for k12 kids, one can be quite certain Apple designed some sort of tethering between the iPad and pencil. 

There is virtually no chance a k12 student would not lose the Apple pencil, like they do every lead pencil made. Looking forward to that solution. 
    cornchipbb-15SoundJudgmentrare commentdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you can't see your post, revisit the commenting guidelines, conveniently linked at the bottom of the page.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Suppression!  Thank you!   Would rather have a descent spec'd MacBook priced right!
    williamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Are iPad mini's days numbered? I personally use no iPads, but I can see why certain users love the mini. I just wonder at what point does Apple call it a day on an iPad with such a screen size.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    An iPad 9.7" with Pencil Support sounds to me exactly like the 9.7" iPad Pro.  So essentially Apple is going to re-brand the 9.7" iPad Pro & sell it at a lower price($399?).
    edited March 2018 doozydozennetmagefirelock
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ireland said:
    Are iPad mini's days numbered? I personally use no iPads, but I can see why certain users love the mini. I just wonder at what point does Apple call it a day on an iPad with such a screen size.
    Based on the ‘flop’ comment it would seem so. It’s two and half years old, three and half year old chip. If iOS 13 drops A8 support, only has a year and half update support left.

I don’t understand how they haven’t discontinued it yet, but if they don’t update it on Tuesday, I really hope they drop the mini from the line up. At this point keeping it around is just going to be a bad user experience - if they don’t want to update it next week then it really has to go. 
    edited March 2018 watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ireland said:
    They may be. But, "flop" doesn't cover the iPad mini.

It did very well in the time it was needed. But, it sold far far more than the G4 graphite tower did. Does that mean that the tower was a flop?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    platypusw said:
    ireland said:
    Based on the ‘flop’ comment it would seem so. It’s two and half years old, three and half year old chip. If iOS 13 drops A8 support, only has a year and half update support left.

I don’t understand how they haven’t discontinued it yet, but if they don’t update it on Tuesday, I really hope they drop the mini from the line up. At this point keeping it around is just going to be a bad user experience - if they don’t want to update it next week then it really has to go. 
    Why would Apple drop A8 support in iOS 13 -- the recently released Home Pod uses the A8?
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonbb-15
  • Reply 9 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This guy just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks and then claims said shit will be a majority of sales.
    macxpresswilliamlondonlkrupp
  • Reply 10 of 31

larryjw said:
    If this is an iPad with pencils for k12 kids, one can be quite certain Apple designed some sort of tethering between the iPad and pencil. 

There is virtually no chance a k12 student would not lose the Apple pencil, like they do every lead pencil made. Looking forward to that solution. 
    First, the school in question is a college prep high school.

Second, we've found that if you teach young children the value of things they tend take care of them.  For example, in our household, the kids have had iPhones since 2008 (10, 11 & 12 years old).  They earned these iPhones and the monthly cell bills by doing chores, saving money (birthday & Xmas gifts, etc.).  If the iPhones were damaged, the child was responsible for paying for repairs.
    mac daddy zeeSpamSandwichdoozydozenwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Speculative prediction tying together: (i) education focus, (ii) iPad & Pencil rumors, and (iii) dropping of the iBook name:

Chrome's presence in the classroom is burgeoning.  Obviously, given the general thrust of Apple (iPads are the right computer for many) and Mac pricing, iPads are the right direction to go.  To balance Chromebook and handle security at the same time, a custom enclosure that adds a keyboard, kensington security slot, and pencil holder (likely with some kind of tether).  By rolling this form factor out explicitly as a classroom accomodation, it limits efforts to compare what is now an iPad with keyboard to a macbook/laptop.  And is a test drive for an iOS form factor that is distinct from macOS notebooks.

And, of course, I can finally say I was right if they call it an iBook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    paul kpaul k Posts: 7member
    My wife loves her iPad Mini. It is easy for her to slip into her purse and take it wherever she goes. My Autistic son also likes his iPad Mini. He can easily carry it around the house and out in the community. I hope they upgrade the mini and keep it in the product line.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonnetmage
  • Reply 13 of 31
    platypusw said:
    ireland said:

Why would Apple drop A8 support in iOS 13 -- the recently released Home Pod uses the A8?
    The HomePod isn’t running full iOS nor does it have a display. By the time iOS 13 comes, we’ll have A13. Do you really think the A8 would still be around in iOS devices? It would be like having the A6 around now. 
    edited March 2018 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    larryjw said:

sure and maybe a drop-proof case for the iPad will be standard too /s

c'mon there's a huge accessory market for that kind of crap
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 15 of 31
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Speculative prediction tying together: (i) education focus, (ii) iPad & Pencil rumors, and (iii) dropping of the iBook name:

Chrome's presence in the classroom is burgeoning.  Obviously, given the general thrust of Apple (iPads are the right computer for many) and Mac pricing, iPads are the right direction to go.  To balance Chromebook and handle security at the same time, a custom enclosure that adds a keyboard, kensington security slot, and pencil holder (likely with some kind of tether).  By rolling this form factor out explicitly as a classroom accomodation, it limits efforts to compare what is now an iPad with keyboard to a macbook/laptop.  And is a test drive for an iOS form factor that is distinct from macOS notebooks.

And, of course, I can finally say I was right if they call it an iBook.
    Neither of my kids have ever been iPad fans. One had to use one for school but pushed until she was allowed her MacBook. We have two dead Airs and a Mini laying about. 
  • Reply 16 of 31
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    This guy just throws shit at the wall to see what sticks and then claims said shit will be a majority of sales.
    Sad part is, he probably gets paid quite a bit too. I guess were in the wrong line of business. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I have to laugh at anyone thinking Apple has designed a new form factor for education. No. It will most likely be a cheaper iPad (in current form factor) that might have Pencil support and a bunch of software updates. I would be incredibly surprised if Apple started pushing Macs in the classroom. If they did they would be signaling the death of iPad. That seems odd considering they ran an iPad commercial last year featuring a young student with the tag line “what’s a computer”. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 18 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have to laugh at anyone thinking Apple has designed a new form factor for education. No. It will most likely be a cheaper iPad (in current form factor) that might have Pencil support and a bunch of software updates. I would be incredibly surprised if Apple started pushing Macs in the classroom. If they did they would be signaling the death of iPad. That seems odd considering they ran an iPad commercial last year featuring a young student with the tag line “what’s a computer”. 
    Yep, they keep trying and trying until they're blue in the face to find someone, some market, just anyone, who cares about the iPad.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ireland said:
    I would hope that Apple wise up and keep the Mini updated to atleast have the same generation SoC as the main ipad.    I was looking very closely at an Ipad mini for use while traveling, it is almost ideal for GPS navigation in a car.    All that needed to happen was for Apple to do a ethical upgrade of the machine along with the rest of the iPads.    That never happened so I never purchased.   After that they seemingly ignored the Mini which has very likely lead to swiftly declining sales.

It is really frustrating as Apple has destroyed many product lines when consumer anticipation was very high.    They assure product failure by not keeping the unit competitive.    By the way when I talk same generation SoC that is what I mean, I would expect ultimate performance to be lower though.   The fact is you would never get 9.7" ipad performance out of a Mini simply due to cooling issues and battery capacity.   However you still want to be able to support the latest software features so yeah the Mini needs to be competitive SoC wise.   Frankly I'm hoping Apple wises up and offers up a totally rethought iPad line up this year. 
    watto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 20 of 31
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    wizard69 said:
    ireland said:
    I would hope that Apple wise up and keep the Mini updated to atleast have the same generation SoC as the main ipad.    I was looking very closely at an Ipad mini for use while traveling, it is almost ideal for GPS navigation in a car.    All that needed to happen was for Apple to do a ethical upgrade of the machine along with the rest of the iPads.    That never happened so I never purchased.   After that they seemingly ignored the Mini which has very likely lead to swiftly declining sales.

It is really frustrating as Apple has destroyed many product lines when consumer anticipation was very high.    They assure product failure by not keeping the unit competitive.    By the way when I talk same generation SoC that is what I mean, I would expect ultimate performance to be lower though.   The fact is you would never get 9.7" ipad performance out of a Mini simply due to cooling issues and battery capacity.   However you still want to be able to support the latest software features so yeah the Mini needs to be competitive SoC wise.   Frankly I'm hoping Apple wises up and offers up a totally rethought iPad line up this year. 
    Buying these devices is a very subjective thing ... one person's pros are the next person's cons.  I have an iPad Mini and really suits me a) on the train to/from work b) watching a movie via Plex in bed for a couple of hours without my arm dropping off.  If Apple released an updated iPad Mini that also supported the Apple Pencil then, given my young daughter coverts my iPad Mini, I'd be tempted to buy one.  Then again ... I'd like an updated iPhone, iMac Pro and a couple of Apple HomePods but having a pair of growing children has resulted in an equal and opposite reaction on my bank account :#
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra