Apple ad shows you how to buy a friend's pocket square with Apple Pay Cash

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2018
Apple continued its iPhone X advertising thrust on Saturday with a short ad highlighting the ease at which users can send money to friends with Apple Pay Cash.

An extension of the playful "Fly Market" commercial that debuted on Thursday, "Pay with a message" focuses on peer-to-peer transactions performed with Apple Pay Cash integration in Messages.

In the 15-second short, the stylish character from "Fly Market" reappears at the local open-air market, where he has his eye on a friend's green pocket square.

Pulling up Messages on his iPhone X, the man calls up the Apple Pay Cash app, taps in $17 and authenticates with Face ID using a double tap on the sleep/wake button. After the money is received, the fashion accessory slips out of the friend's jacket pocket and into that of our protagonist. The transfer cues the song "Back Pocket" by Vulfpeck.

With its recent iPhone X ad series, Apple seems to have gotten its groove back with lively spots that deftly incorporate its products into "slice of life" storylines. Previously, the company aired a string of straightforward promotions that focused largely on new hardware features.

Apple unveiled Apple Pay Cash at last year's Worldwide Developers Conference, but the feature failed to make it into the final build of iOS 11 in September. The peer-to-peer payments service went live a month later with the rollout of iOS 11.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I wish Apple would make some more middle of the road commercials showing Pay in more mundane transactions like shopping at the supermarket.

I use my Watch all the time at Safeway, and every second or third time somebody says 'Did you just use your watch??' And most of those don't know what contactless payments are.

Not enough merchants accept Pay as it is. I don't want other (older) users thinking it's just for kidz.
    GeorgeBMacTomE
  • Reply 2 of 8
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I would like Reasonable Commercials for Reasonable, Middle of the Road, Adults of all Ages.
    I left my wallet at home with the plastic cards 2 times last week, but could not pay at Walmart or Harvey's Grocery with my Phone.
    Maybe 1 day, but not now where we live.  Most of the stores have just gotten chip readers.
    Show me how to pay on the internet with the iPhone and I might start thinking it is useful.  Now I use my Amazon card.

• Reply 3 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    macgui said:
    I wish Apple would make some more middle of the road commercials showing Pay in more mundane transactions like shopping at the supermarket.

I use my Watch all the time at Safeway, and every second or third time somebody says 'Did you just use your watch??' And most of those don't know what contactless payments are.

Not enough merchants accept Pay as it is. I don't want other (older) users thinking it's just for kidz.
    I work in a supermarket and use my Watch to pay for my lunch most days, sometimes I get strange looks and once a customer started swearing at me cause I used my Watch to pay, people are strange.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    My first thought after watching that was: “$17 for a second hand pocket square?????”
  • Reply 5 of 8
    notcbnotcb Posts: 4member
    Buying a Square with Apple Pay. I see what you did there, Apple. 
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 8
    So, watching that, the guy looked at his screen to authenticate but also double-pressed the power button? That seems like extra steps over the single touch of TouchID confirmation?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    adm1 said:
    So, watching that, the guy looked at his screen to authenticate but also double-pressed the power button? That seems like extra steps over the single touch of TouchID confirmation?
    The double-press and look (it happens fairly quickly) to authenticate was for use of the Apple Pay Cash card. It's to make sure you want to send money, not just responding to a question with a dollar amount. A double-press and a look is also required when you use Apple Pay on desktop Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    adm1 said:
    Thats only for Apple Pay Cash.