New $329 iPad includes support for the Apple Pencil, A10 Fusion processor

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Have a few questions about it that probably won't be answered till reviews, but...

Is the display laminated? Using the pencil without lamination would probably feel weird 
    Is the antireflective coating back? 
    What is the touch and pencil sample rate? 
    Will the Crayon share the same Pencil sample rates/is it active/what does it miss out on for the price? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    brucemc said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    I hear ya!  Still no user replaceable battery or ability to do your own RAM upgrades, let alone a proper USB port to support peripherals!  What is Apple thinking...?

No wonder Apple is in such dire trouble...

Is this post for real? Yes, no? Serious question, I can't fucking tell anymore with all the trolls on this forum. 
    mwhitemagman1979pscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 122
    LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    Yes, indeed! An affordable iPad that is more than powerful enough for the educational community.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 122
    macxpress said:
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    We'll see how it effects Crapbook sales as thats the real competition in Education, not Android tablets...Question is, everyone is so entrenched into Google Classroom and Crapbooks, will this make them switch?
    What is a "crapbook" in your eyes? I can't tell if you're upset with chromebooks or macbooks.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 26 of 122
    fallenjt said:
    I'm glad that Apple doesn't use Face ID on the regular iPad. It's disaster for kids sharing it in schools. iPad pro is more a personal device and I agree it should have Face ID. I'm glad that they make the 9.7" iPad compatible with the Pencil. I wish they make Pencil cheaper like $49.

Part of the announcement included a $49 "crayon" from logitech. It's not clear how it's different from the Apple version, though it stands to reason it will be somewhat less capable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 122
    We have both current iPad Pro models...  Bought the $329 2018 iPad to see how it compares...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 122
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Too bad the pencil couldn't be included in the box. Too advanced tech to include in the price perhaps.
    melodyof1974watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    We have both current iPad Pro models...  Bought the $329 2018 iPad to see how it compares...

A life lived well does pay benefits doesn't it Dick? 
    jony0
  • Reply 30 of 122
    It supports Apple Pay but has no NFC with reader mode. :/
    I thought that starting form now Apple would start rolling out NFC with reader mode support, but apparently not... :/
  • Reply 31 of 122
    This 2018 iPad beets the new Google Chrome OS Table on specs and price, too...

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/26/google-debuts-chrome-os-tablets-ipad-education/

Google Attempt to preempt Apple Education announcement == FAIL!
    magman1979watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 32 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    This 2018 iPad beets the new Google Chrome OS Table on specs and price, too...

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/26/google-debuts-chrome-os-tablets-ipad-education/

Google Attempt to preempt Apple Education announcement == FAIL!
    To be fair in comparing to the direct price of the $329 ChromeTablet for Education it does comes with a pressure sensitive "pencil" included, tho certainly not Apple Pencil quality or features. The pencil adds another $99 to the new iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 122
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    cutykamu said:
    Difference between iPad and iPad Pro is almost none now so I think this years iPad pros will bring Face ID to stand out. Maybe even oled screens. 
    Still in love with 2017 iPad Pro which is so speedy in launching apps n regular use. 
    The iPad Pro is gonna need much more than FaceID as a selling point. This new iPad 6 is a phenomenal value.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    meanwhile iPad Mini languishes at $50 more, an older CPU, and no Pencil. Sucks not being the target audience.
    iPad mini is dead....
    ronn
  • Reply 35 of 122
    Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Going by the live blogs the event seemed decent all around.  The iPad 6 will definitely be exciting for everyone as you mentioned & it's a great value for what you get.  Apple has its work cut out for it with respecting to convincing users to opt for an iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Because you don't understand the education market? I doubt every student would get an iPad that has Apple Pencil and a keyboard. You can also use the $49 pencil Apple mentioned which also works. Apple isn't pushing Xcode...they're pushing Swift. Its obvious Xcode isn't in Apple's future as far as kids go. 

You also forgot the entire Apple Schoolwork suite, which is comparable to Google Classroom, Apple School Manager, etc.
    edited March 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 37 of 122
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 122
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    macxpress said:

meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    Yeah, no kidding, man! You pay 350 bucks as opposed to 800, and you get a 350 dollar iPad! Crazy, right?
    $299 for schools even! I mean why not slap the A11 Bionic in there with FaceID and 16GB of RAM. Why not!!!
    Agree. Also, why not add oLED screen that covers 100% of the front area. And all that is just for 299. In fact, why selling it at all?
    Apple should pay their fair share to the society they owe their success to, so let them supply those tablets to all schools for free. And on top of that, they should pay each school 1k dollars for each tablet they supply.

macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 122
    dewme said:
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    This is why

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/26/17157444/acer-chromebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 122
    gatorguy said:

A life lived well does pay benefits doesn't it Dick? 
    Our computer store installed the first classroom computer network in June 1980 at Saratoga High School, Saratoga, CA.  It consisted of 7 Apple ][ computers and a Corvus network with a shared 10MB hard disk.  Vice Principal Marion Kenworthy got Apple to supply the Macs & we sold  & installed the network.

FWIW, the daughter of Gene Carter (Apple VP of Marketing) and my daughter attended Saratoga HS at the time.

...So, yeah, I have some skin in the game...
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMacmagman1979watto_cobrajony0