Logitech's $49 'Crayon' stylus for iPad, Rugged Combo 2 keyboard case coming soon [u]

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2018
Though the focus at its press event was on a new budget iPad and education-oriented software updates, Apple on Tuesday also teased two new Logitech iPad accessories, meant for schools only: the "Crayon" stylus, and the Rugged Combo 2 case and keyboard. [Updated with more details, pricing, and launch info]

The Crayon, sized like its namesake, will cost just $49.99. That should make it more appealing for some institutions than the Apple Pencil, which is bigger and $99.

Logitech said that the stylus will share features of the Apple Pencil, such as low latency, palm rejection, and tilt functions. Battery life is 8 hours, and the product is designed to be both pry- and roll-resistant.

Like last year's Rugged Case, the $99.99 Rugged Combo 2 is intended to keep an iPad intact in a K-12 environment. It's spill-resistant, and should protect against drops up to 4 feet.

Other features include an adjustable kickstand, a stylus holder, and shortcut keys for functions like media playback. The keyboard is also designed to be quiet and pry-resistant, and joined to the case through a proprietary connector -- preventing students from attaching their own accessories.

The sixth-generation iPad, now on sale, is equipped with an A10 processor, and represents the first non-Pro iPad with Apple Pencil support. Otherwise however the tablet is essentially unchanged from last year's budget model, including its use of Touch ID instead of Face ID.

Both Logitech accessories should be available to U.S. schools this summer through Apple's educational channel.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    The Logitech stylus did surprise me.
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    But why most non-Apple brands make ugly looking devices? After You look at the Pencil, Crayon is an eye-sored pos!
  • Reply 3 of 18
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    fallenjt said:
    But why most non-Apple brands make ugly looking devices? After You look at the Pencil, Crayon is an eye-sored pos!
    I'd speculate that the Crayon is more kid friendly than the Pencil.
    beowulfschmidtracerhomie3doozydozenjbdragoncornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I suspect that the Logitech Crayon and Case are place-holders until Apple offers a new Pencil and Case...  
    cornchipJanNL
  • Reply 5 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’d give a kid a real coloring book and crayons before I’d give them an iPad. 
    MplsPJanNLAlex1N
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    fallenjt said:
    Actually looks kinda like a crayon.
    sphericAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    My son has a Logitech case for his school iPad. His backpack fell off the seat on the bus and 3 keys broke on the keyboard. Not too rugged. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    MplsP said:
    My son has a Logitech case for his school iPad. His backpack fell off the seat on the bus and 3 keys broke on the keyboard. Not too rugged. 
    Seems more like your son told you a story, that doesn't seem plausible, what kind of force could do that just by dropping a closed case from that height from 2 feet. Almost none. Thus not making it plausible. Something else happened, likely the backpack was thrown.
    edited March 2018 cornchipmacky the macky[Deleted User]redgeminipamariowinco
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    MplsP said:
    Is it the same case? Logitech makes several cases for iPads. This one is drop tested to the standard MIL-STD 810G. 

"Tested to protect iPad and keyboard from drops as high as 4 feet. Rugged Combo 2 passes MIL STANDARD 810-G drop tests." 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Wonder why it is only compatible with the 6th generation iPad? Could it use a special "Pencil radio" not used in the previous iPad Pros?
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 11 of 18
    key selling point - it won't roll away from you.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Will The Crayon work with the iPad Mini? If not, can someone please tell me why not?

And while you’re at it, why does The Pencil only work with the iPad Pro?

Simple minds would like to know. 

Thanks. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    I suspect that the Logitech Crayon and Case are place-holders until Apple offers a new Pencil and Case...  
    Looks like it. Apple has partnered with Logitech and others before, to offer accessories at launch and give itself time to come with first party products.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    fred1 said:
    Will The Crayon work with the iPad Mini? If not, can someone please tell me why not?

Thanks. 
    1) It will not. 

1) and 2) Last few paragraphs of:

Notably, the Crayon ONLY works with the iPad Sixth generation, and NOT the iPad Pro at present.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    fred1 said:

Thanks. 
    1) It will not. 

1) and 2) Last few paragraphs of:

Notably, the Crayon ONLY works with the iPad Sixth generation, and NOT the iPad Pro at present.
    I see. Thanks for this information.

It’s too bad there isn’t a smaller iPad that works with the Pencil or Crayon. I love the size of the Mini and I guess I’m stuck with the Adonit stylus.  I wonder how many others feel the way I do.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    mac_128 said:
    Wonder why it is only compatible with the 6th generation iPad? Could it use a special "Pencil radio" not used in the previous iPad Pros?
    Yes. It uses a wireless frequency exclusive to the new iPad. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    fred1 said:

Thanks. 
    The Pencil is not just a capacitive rubber nub like all of those styluses. Those just emulate your finger. 

The Pencil requires a MUCH higher resolution than anything designed for finger operation, so it will only work with a much higher-resolution capacitive sensor. 

Since the iPad mini hasn’t been updated in ages, you can assume that it’s being kept around as long as it keeps making a real difference to the bottom line, and is then getting phased out. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    spheric said:
    mac_128 said:
    Yes. It uses a wireless frequency exclusive to the new iPad. 
    And, notably, they aren't tethered to one iPad. A kid can grab any Crayon, and get going.
    sphericAlex1N