New $329 iPad includes support for the Apple Pencil, A10 Fusion processor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 122
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    You are seriously banging on them for RAM for a $329.00 ( $299.00 if bought by schools ) iPad? Really?

I used an IPad air 2 until upgrading this past Christmas and it ran just fine on IOS11 with the same 2GB of RAM and the A8X processor! My girlfriend is currently using it and it is still running strong.. Please enlighten us on what these iPads would need more ram to do exactly? 

You sound like this person that argued with me on Reddit saying that IOS 11 ruined his Air 2, and that 2gb of RAM was to blame? I told him that either he needed to restore his Ipad or take it in to get looked at because mine worked just fine on IOS 11.  It was one of the silliest conversations I have had in a long time..
    StrangeDaysmagman1979ronnradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    AI_lias said:
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    What do you mean by saying "the keyboard?" There is already a keyboard/rugged case specifically made for K-12 schools that connects into the lightning port. 

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ruggedcombo2
  • Reply 43 of 122
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    fallenjt said:
    I'm glad that Apple doesn't use Face ID on the regular iPad. It's disaster for kids sharing it in schools. iPad pro is more a personal device and I agree it should have Face ID. I'm glad that they make the 9.7" iPad compatible with the Pencil. I wish they make Pencil cheaper like $49.

They're not using Face ID on these education iPads for 2 reasons: Cost and the fact that young children's faces are not properly recognized by Face ID due to growth spurts and lack of distinct features that adults have. Apple admits this in their Face ID marketing media.
    racerhomie3radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 122
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    meanwhile iPad Mini languishes at $50 more, an older CPU, and no Pencil. Sucks not being the target audience.
    The Mini (for some reason) starts at 128Gb.  The new iPad with 128Gb is $439 rather than $339 for the 32Gb base model.

My experience is:  if you load a lot of games or even a few videos, you need that extra storage.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 122
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    meanwhile iPad Mini languishes at $50 more, an older CPU, and no Pencil. Sucks not being the target audience.
    You do get 128GB of UFS storage.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    This is why

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/26/17157444/acer-chromebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced
    What schools are deploying that?
  • Reply 48 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    This is why

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/26/17157444/acer-chromebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced
    No one yet. It's not available until next month. 
  • Reply 49 of 122
    AI_lias said:
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    Only the Pro models have the smart connector that supports the Apple keyboard.
    This regular iPad supports 3rd party Bluetooth keyboards such as ones for Logitech.
    ... Actually, I think that's the better option:  The smart connector seems like a throwback to the corded keyboards of 20 years ago.  I have never understood what it offered.
    crosslad
  • Reply 50 of 122
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    This 2018 iPad beets the new Google Chrome OS Table on specs and price, too...

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/26/google-debuts-chrome-os-tablets-ipad-education/

Google Attempt to preempt Apple Education announcement == FAIL!
    To be fair in comparing to the direct price of the $329 ChromeTablet for Education it does comes with a pressure sensitive "pencil" included, tho certainly not Apple Pencil quality or features. The pencil adds another $99 to the new iPad.
    Or $49 if they opt for the Logitech Crayon. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    This 2018 iPad beets the new Google Chrome OS Table on specs and price, too...

https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/26/google-debuts-chrome-os-tablets-ipad-education/

Google Attempt to preempt Apple Education announcement == FAIL!
    To be fair in comparing to the direct price of the $329 ChromeTablet for Education it does comes with a pressure sensitive "pencil" included, tho certainly not Apple Pencil quality or features. The pencil adds another $99 to the new iPad.
    Or $49 if they opt for the Logitech Crayon. 
    Or that too... (thumbs up)
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 52 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:

Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Because you don't understand the education market? I doubt every student would get an iPad that has Apple Pencil and a keyboard. You can also use the $49 pencil Apple mentioned which also works. Apple isn't pushing Xcode...they're pushing Swift. Its obvious Xcode isn't in Apple's future as far as kids go. 

You also forgot the entire Apple Schoolwork suite, which is comparable to Google Classroom, Apple School Manager, etc.
    Read Fraser Spiers Twitter timeline. He’s someone who’s big on iPad in education. Seriously disappointed by today’s event. I honestly don’t see this moving the needle much in education but I’m sure general consumers will love the $329 iPad with Pencil support. 
    muthuk_vanalingamcrossladpatchythepirate
  • Reply 53 of 122
    smcarter said:
    The Apple Pencil is too expensive for the K-12 market. Apple should bundle a special version of the pencil and an iPad case to hold it for the  K-12 and HiEd institutional market; perhaps one that is tethered for security purposes. 
    I’d wager that the $99 pencil upsell
    is a factor in the low pricing. 
  • Reply 54 of 122
    Thanks...
    When I was in college we didn't have computers...  I did take a programming class -- and we hand wrote the programs on the blackboard so the teacher could copy the answers for the next semester's class (so they wouldn't realize how clueless he was).

But, I cannot imagine doing college level work on an existing iPad.   Nor can I imagine doing professional type work on an iPad (too many spreadsheets!).
    ... Eventually Apple will have to give up and add a cursor...
    ... Or, produce an iOS laptop.
    ........... But then those are pretty much the same things...
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 55 of 122
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    gatorguy said:
    dewme said:
    This is why

No one yet. It's not available until next month. 
    OT for sure, but I thought you would like this:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180327/MOBILITY/180329682/

Sweet!
  • Reply 56 of 122
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    cutykamu said:
    Difference between iPad and iPad Pro is almost none now so I think this years iPad pros will bring Face ID to stand out. Maybe even oled screens. 
    Still in love with 2017 iPad Pro which is so speedy in launching apps n regular use. 

The display on the the Pros is still far better quality - color gamut, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 122
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    tipoo said:
    Have a few questions about it that probably won't be answered till reviews, but...

Is the display laminated? Using the pencil without lamination would probably feel weird 
    Is the antireflective coating back? 
    What is the touch and pencil sample rate? 
    Will the Crayon share the same Pencil sample rates/is it active/what does it miss out on for the price? 
    https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/#ipad-pro-10-5,ipad

fastasleeprandominternetpersonronnradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 122
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    cutykamu said:
    Difference between iPad and iPad Pro is almost none now so I think this years iPad pros will bring Face ID to stand out. Maybe even oled screens. 
    Still in love with 2017 iPad Pro which is so speedy in launching apps n regular use. 
    The iPad Pro is gonna need much more than FaceID as a selling point. This new iPad 6 is a phenomenal value.
    Stuff the pros have:

- bigger screen sizes
    - larger storage capacities 
    - much better cameras
    - TrueTone
    - ProMotion
    - wide color display
    - brighter

...excellent features that exist in the pro versions for those needing or wanting more than standard use cases.
    randominternetpersonbrucemcronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 122
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    College isn't the same as grade school classrooms. When it comes intense writing sure a notebook is a better tool. In grade school (especially younger grades where it seems they're marketing these) I wasn't doing much intense writing. Barely any, relatively speaking. Use cases matter for tool selection.

edited March 2018 GeorgeBMacronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 122
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    Does anyone know if this new iPad has the same pressure sensitivity capability as the iPad Pro for use with the Apple Pencil?
    watto_cobra