New $329 iPad includes support for the Apple Pencil, A10 Fusion processor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    fallenjt said:
    I'm glad that Apple doesn't use Face ID on the regular iPad. It's disaster for kids sharing it in schools. iPad pro is more a personal device and I agree it should have Face ID. I'm glad that they make the 9.7" iPad compatible with the Pencil. I wish they make Pencil cheaper like $49. 

FaceID adds little to an iPad, IMO. In the iPhone you can get rid of the button and gain some realestate, but that space isn't at the same premium for an iPad, and the moving from one biometric ID to another is not nearly the jump that adding it in the first place is. This is a great announcement - what Apple has done is moved the price point down for a fairly powerful machine. As people have pointed out above, you still need to get a keyboard to make it truly functional for an educational/productivity uses, so that will add to the price, but the other half of the equation for schools and other organizations is the device life expectancy and management tools.

College isn't the same as grade school classrooms. When it comes intense writing sure a notebook is a better tool. In grade school (especially younger grades where it seems they're marketing these) I wasn't doing much intense writing. Barely any, relatively speaking. Use cases matter for tool selection.

True on both accounts. The needs of school districts and their students are different from those in college, especially in regards to device management. A device that works well in one environment won't necessarily work well in another.
    edited March 2018 muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacmwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 122
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    fallenjt said:
    I'm glad that Apple doesn't use Face ID on the regular iPad. It's disaster for kids sharing it in schools. iPad pro is more a personal device and I agree it should have Face ID. I'm glad that they make the 9.7" iPad compatible with the Pencil. I wish they make Pencil cheaper like $49. 

FaceID adds little to an iPad, IMO. In the iPhone you can get rid of the button and gain some realestate, but that space isn't at the same premium for an iPad, and the moving from one biometric ID to another is not nearly the jump that adding it in the first place is. This is a great announcement - what Apple has done is moved the price point down for a fairly powerful machine. As people have pointed out above, you still need to get a keyboard to make it truly functional for an educational/productivity uses, so that will add to the price, but the other half of the equation for schools and other organizations is the device life expectancy and management tools.

College isn't the same as grade school classrooms. When it comes intense writing sure a notebook is a better tool. In grade school (especially younger grades where it seems they're marketing these) I wasn't doing much intense writing. Barely any, relatively speaking. Use cases matter for tool selection.

True on both accounts. The needs of school districts and their students are different from those in college, especially in regards to device management. A device that works well in one environment won't necessarily work well in another.
    An iOS MacBook could work well in both....
  • Reply 63 of 122
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Said the day after Google released a Chrome based Tablet aimed right at the Education market...?
    Time will tell but IMHO, the prospect of cheap devices for cash strapped schools is far too tempting.
  • Reply 64 of 122
    keithwkeithw Posts: 140member
    How about this- Apple starts shipping a "Pencil" with each iPad that can use it, free of charge.  That would go a long way.
    elijahg
  • Reply 65 of 122
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    MplsP said:
    fallenjt said:

An iOS MacBook could work well in both....
    I agree. While Apple is hesitant on a hybrid path for Mac OS, I don't see that it would be a big deal for a hybrid iOS notebook sans x86 support.
  • Reply 66 of 122
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 
    I agree with MG Siegler’s take. And he’s not anti-Apple.

https://500ish.com/apple-cedes-735192326da4

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)
    New cheap iPad: $329 for consumers, $299 for schools, no bundled Pencil, no Smart Connector. I don’t see this making a big difference in the marketplace when it comes to Apple’s war with Chromebooks.

Fraser Speirs (@fraserspeirs)
    Nothing so far is anywhere close to a game changer.

@happy_roman @easedrop @bradleychambers If you don't trust Google, you should be even more mad at Apple for letting Google dominate schools so much. Have you looked at the K-12 contracts for GSuite for education.

M.G. Siegler (@mgsiegler)
    Still need the hot takes to cool down a bit before I dive in, but my initial reaction to Apple’s education event is pretty meh. It feels like this is the second time in a row (HomePod being the first) that Apple doesn’t quite know the battleground on which they’re fighting.
    edited March 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 68 of 122
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

Which he wrote and published yesterday.

What changed since then?

Seems to me, quite a bit.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 122
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    I was really hoping that Apple was going to introduce a college / school grade iMac at a very affordable price. It's all very well for those living in first world countries with strong currencies; but for me, as an educator in South Africa - it is very sad to see Apple slip off the face of education due purely to price. Colleges just cannot justify the price of Apple computers and so gradually crappy Windows all-in-ones are replacing ageing iMacs. It's sad to see. I am one of a dying breed of Apple advocates in mainstream college education. The rest are switching to windows. I have argued until I'm blue in the face about the value of Mac's etc... - but at the end of the day, it's hard to convince a bean-counter that a R22 000.00 iMac is better than a windows PC half the price. Apple needs to be more aggressive with hardware pricing for education.
    elijahgGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 122
    smcarter said:
    The Apple Pencil is too expensive for the K-12 market. Apple should bundle a special version of the pencil and an iPad case to hold it for the  K-12 and HiEd institutional market; perhaps one that is tethered for security purposes. 
    I completely agree. The Apple Pencil is too expensive for the K-12 market. Maybe through a pencil in for free and charge $100 for a replacement. Apple would definitely make their money back. 

As far as the machine goes, this iPad is a good price with good guts for k-12. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 122
    Thanks...
    When I was in college we didn't have computers...  I did take a programming class -- and we hand wrote the programs on the blackboard so the teacher could copy the answers for the next semester's class (so they wouldn't realize how clueless he was).

But, I cannot imagine doing college level work on an existing iPad.   Nor can I imagine doing professional type work on an iPad (too many spreadsheets!).
    ... Eventually Apple will have to give up and add a cursor...
    ... Or, produce an iOS laptop.
    ........... But then those are pretty much the same things...
    I work for a local authority. A few months back I attended a meeting with the authority’s solicitor. On the train home she used her iPad 2, not iPad Air 2, the the first iPad 2, remotely logged in to her work pc, downloaded a couple of draft documents, completed them and emailed them to the court. These new iPads with pencil support will be great for work. YouTube is full of Galaxy Note videos where users brag about how they can use their SPens to get real work done, and yet people still say you can’t use an iPad for real work!

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 122
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    macxpress said:
    fallenjt said:

Yeah, I would have at least liked to see Apple Pencil like $69 or $79 for educational use, not the same $99. So basically you have a $299 iPad and a $99 pencil, so thats $398, and if you want the rugged K-12 case/keyboard that is available for K-12 schools, thats another $99 and 3yr AppleCare+ is another $74 per iPad. The price can go up in a hurry depending on what you want to accomplish. I suppose not everyone needs to have an Apple Pencil with their iPad. I can see those getting lost/stolen pretty easily. 
    I believe the Apple Pencil is $89 for schools and $99 for everyone else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 122
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)
    New cheap iPad: $329 for consumers, $299 for schools, no bundled Pencil, no Smart Connector. I don’t see this making a big difference in the marketplace when it comes to Apple’s war with Chromebooks.

@happy_roman @easedrop @bradleychambers If you don't trust Google, you should be even more mad at Apple for letting Google dominate schools so much. Have you looked at the K-12 contracts for GSuite for education.

Still need the hot takes to cool down a bit before I dive in, but my initial reaction to Apple’s education event is pretty meh. It feels like this is the second time in a row (HomePod being the first) that Apple doesn’t quite know the battleground on which they’re fighting.
    Show me how to do this on a Chromebooks:
    https://youtu.be/IprmiOa2zH8
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 122
    ZRyserZRyser Posts: 40member
    This will sell like crazy
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 122
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    slurpy said:
    brucemc said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    I hear ya!  Still no user replaceable battery or ability to do your own RAM upgrades, let alone a proper USB port to support peripherals!  What is Apple thinking...?

No wonder Apple is in such dire trouble...

Is this post for real? Yes, no? Serious question, I can't fucking tell anymore with all the trolls on this forum. 
    I thought it over the top enough to be evident...and you can always checkout my comment history...
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 122
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)

Oh my...oh my...whatever is Apple to do...oh my...(picture wringing hands, hopping around)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 122
    brucemc said:
    slurpy said:
    brucemc said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    I hear ya!  Still no user replaceable battery or ability to do your own RAM upgrades, let alone a proper USB port to support peripherals!  What is Apple thinking...?

No wonder Apple is in such dire trouble...

Is this post for real? Yes, no? Serious question, I can't fucking tell anymore with all the trolls on this forum. 
    I thought it over the top enough to be evident...and you can always checkout my comment history...
    That comment of yours was very obviously snark.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 122
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    keithw said:
    How about this- Apple starts shipping a "Pencil" with each iPad that can use it, free of charge.  That would go a long way.
    The majority of people do not even need it and will leave it in the box. It makes no sense. And for those who are interested in that, they will find a way to pay.
    fastasleepGeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 122
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    AI_lias said:
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    Only the Pro models have the smart connector that supports the Apple keyboard.
    This regular iPad supports 3rd party Bluetooth keyboards such as ones for Logitech.
    ... Actually, I think that's the better option:  The smart connector seems like a throwback to the corded keyboards of 20 years ago.  I have never understood what it offered.
    The Logitech rugged keyboard case advertised by Apple today is wired to the lightning port. It has a connector for the keyboard that connects magnetically to the case that looks remarkably similar to the Apple Smart Connector so the tablet can be easily separated from the keyboard.

The reason for the smart keyboard and this similar solution from Logitech is to avoid having to charge yet another device. They work off the power of the Lightning port and don't require external charging. And any wired solution should be more reliable than bluetooth though Apple seems to have that problem solved in the last few versions of iOS. I've read people having some trouble with the smart keyboard on the iPad Pro but I have one from each generation and have had no trouble. Wired really should be very robust.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 122
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    dr. x said:
    Does anyone know if this new iPad has the same pressure sensitivity capability as the iPad Pro for use with the Apple Pencil?
    It might not be identical but it definitely has tilt and pressure sensitivity. We'll probably have to wait for reviews for comparisons.
    watto_cobra