Free iCloud storage for teachers and students boosted from 5GB to 200GB

Posted:
in iCloud edited March 2018
In another part of Apple's big education push, teachers and students will get a forty-fold increase in free iCloud storage to better utilize today's software offerings in the future.

Apple said during its event Tuesday in Chicago that teachers and students will receive 200GB of free iCloud storage -- a huge increase over the 5GB typically offered for the free tier of iCloud.

"iCloud safely stores students' documents and creative projects, keeping them up to date, secure and accessible from any device," the company said in a statement after the event. "And starting today, any teacher or student with a Managed Apple ID has access to 200GB of free iCloud storage."

The addition of the storage will greatly assist in the future release of Schoolwork, and Classroom, a pair of features expanding from the iPad to the Mac later in 2018. The cloud-based Schoolwork app lets teachers digitally pass handouts to students and set up assignments for them to complete. Notes, PDF documents, and web links can be sent to students using the iPad app, with teachers able to monitor their progress and receive assignments back once they are completed.

Apple plans to release the Schoolwork app in June, giving teachers time to learn how best to use it for classes.

Classroom has been around for two years on iOS, as a way for teachers to manage iPads used by students in the classroom, automatically connecting to a class' iPads. It can be used to remotely open apps, launch websites, or access books, with educators also able to remotely monitor the student's screen, and to lock all devices to refocus the student's attention.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24

Gosh, a company that can make money and support actual education, rather than just paying it lip service while raking in the cash and leaving adopters with piece o' crap hardware.

What a concept!

doozydozenanton zuykovjbdragonlibertykrscornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    They should just make this available for everyone tbh.
    djkikromelongpathmacseekerjbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 3 of 24
    djkikromedjkikrome Posts: 189member
    mavemufc said:
    Agreed. 
    mavemufc
  • Reply 4 of 24
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    It's disappointing that they don't make this available to all students, even if they only want to make this an education market exclusive.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Seriously!  I just broke down and bought extra storage for my teacher account. Two days ago!!  Dang it!
  • Reply 6 of 24
    bageljoey said:
    Seriously!  I just broke down and bought extra storage for my teacher account. Two days ago!!  Dang it!
    Contact them. They're usually pretty good about refunds in cases like this.
    LukeCagejbdragonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    galfridus said:
    bageljoey said:
    Contact them. They're usually pretty good about refunds in cases like this.
    I agree, Apple is really good when it come to this type of thing, there's a good chance you will be refunded 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    LukeCageLukeCage Posts: 166member
    I wonder when they will increase that free storage to at least match the storage your iPhone has. 
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mavemufc said:
    Very unlikely, but yeah this is only for schools, which means no change for any regular icloud user.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Everyone else, let’s celebrate 8 years of 5GB! Even after paying for a 128GB or large phone. Small enough to annoy every user with pop ups and get many of them to just disable cloud backup features. 

Honestly though, Dropbox initially only offering 2GB isn’t much better. That’s been going on for ~15 years, thought they do have their referral program.

its unfortunate that the user experience suffers due to the lack of given space. I understand it isn’t free, but it significantly improves functionality by giving additional space. Especially considering the unlimited space google gives for photos (amazon maybe as well). Apple devices generally cater to functionality and simplicity, and both are lost a bit due to this.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    mavemufc said:
    And you should be working for free, to be honest!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24

No more "the dog ate my homework" excuses . . .

watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Avid MacAvid Mac Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    mavemufc said:
    Or, maybe you should just pay for it and stop whining.
    Notsofastwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    mavemufc said:
    It is under $36/yr. Less if you do what I do and do my iTunes subscriptions with frequently found discount gift cards. If $2.99/month is a hardship for you then you aren't likely using Apple devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    mavemufc said:
    Apple doesn’t have the storage built out yet to accommodate their massive customer base. Also, remember that Apple people are data hogs compared to, say, Android users.

And finally, remember that Apple the hardware company is new to the data services business, unlike Google and Amazon. And it takes time tobuild data centers.
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    mavemufc said:
    This. Why don't all students have access to this? I'm a verified student with an Apple Music discount, why can't I qualify for this? Oh wait, Apple is a business looking to make as much money as possible. Apple gets huge street cred and profit when iPads are used in the classroom. The losses from offering extra iCloud storage (worth peanuts) are FAR outweighed by the benefits of entering the education market. I'd like to believe that Apple is a decently fair company, as they try to come off as friendly to the student. But read between the lines a bit, and they fail MISERABLY.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    mavemufc said:
    And how many people need more than 50GB which you can get for a whopping 99cents a month?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member

mavemufc said:
    This. Why don't all students have access to this? I'm a verified student with an Apple Music discount, why can't I qualify for this? Oh wait, Apple is a business looking to make as much money as possible. Apple gets huge street cred and profit when iPads are used in the classroom. The losses from offering extra iCloud storage (worth peanuts) are FAR outweighed by the benefits of entering the education market. I'd like to believe that Apple is a decently fair company, as they try to come off as friendly to the student. But read between the lines a bit, and they fail MISERABLY.
    Just give up one of those Starbucks lattes for one afternoon and that will pay for almost a half of year of the 50GB storage.
    Rayz2016watto_cobraanton zuykov
  • Reply 19 of 24
    EphEph Posts: 8member
    Now I have to figure out how to switch my paid 200gb account to the free one.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member

No more "the dog ate my homework" excuses . . .

Pffff....watch this:
    My iPad went glitch-y yesterday, right after I started doing my assignments!
    -a pupil with an iPad