New $329 iPad includes support for the Apple Pencil, A10 Fusion processor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    macxpress said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    Boy you just like to piss all over everything Apple does huh? Well since its using the A10 Fusion it has 3GB LPDDR4 RAM. Its actually quite an iPad for the price. Too bad all you want to do is complain. In the end, who really gives a shit what type of RAM it is and how much? If you want to create a pissing contest with specs that are meaningless, then go buy an Android device that has more and does less. 
    The amount of RAM in an iPad is not meaningless, im not sure how you ever developed that opinion.   Ive been buying iPads for a long time and can safely say each time RAM was increased in the machine its capabilities and performance increased.  

Beyond that it is a mistake to assume that an A10 implies 3GB of RAM.   We can hope for that but it really needs to be verified. This especially with Apple products targetting the low end, Apple coild easily trim a dime off their costs by using a 2GB chip.  

More importantly RAM in the iPad has nothing to do with Android that is jst a totally ignorant comparison.   People are concerned about RAM in an Pad because of what it does for iOS, A
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 82 of 122
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    Boy you just like to piss all over everything Apple does huh? Well since its using the A10 Fusion it has 3GB LPDDR4 RAM. Its actually quite an iPad for the price. Too bad all you want to do is complain. In the end, who really gives a shit what type of RAM it is and how much? If you want to create a pissing contest with specs that are meaningless, then go buy an Android device that has more and does less. 
    The amount of RAM in an iPad is not meaningless, im not sure how you ever developed that opinion.   Ive been buying iPads for a long time and can safely say each time RAM was increased in the machine its capabilities and performance increased.  

Beyond that it is a mistake to assume that an A10 implies 3GB of RAM.   We can hope for that but it really needs to be verified. This especially with Apple products targetting the low end, Apple coild easily trim a dime off their costs by using a 2GB chip.  

More importantly RAM in the iPad has nothing to do with Android that is jst a totally ignorant comparison.   People are concerned about RAM in an Pad because of what it does for iOS, A
    When educators go to buy iPads, other than storage, they don't look at the friggin' specs such as how much RAM, CPU, etc it has. That's not the selling point of the iPad. Maybe to someone like you it matters, but in K-12 it just doesn't matter. If it did, they wouldn't buy Crapbooks either. So yes, its meaningless to someone looking to buy iPads for K-12. You are not K-12 so your experience is irrelevant. 
    edited March 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 83 of 122
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:
    Ive been buying iPads for a long time and can safely say each time RAM was increased in the machine its capabilities and performance increased.
    And each time you get a new iPad, comparing to the previous model, its CPU is more powerful. So, how exactly did you make that conclusion that that performance increase was the result of memory size increase? I do not follow.

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 122

and teneral performance.  macxpress said:
    fallenjt said:
    I'm glad that Apple doesn't use Face ID on the regular iPad. It's disaster for kids sharing it in schools. iPad pro is more a personal device and I agree it should have Face ID. I'm glad that they make the 9.7" iPad compatible with the Pencil. I wish they make Pencil cheaper like $49.

Yeah FaceID would never work in a K-12 environment. For one, FaceID only supports one face so right there it doesn't work. TouchID for the matter isn't even that great for K-12. I have it disabled on all of our devices as its not necessary for use. 

Yeah, I would have at least liked to see Apple Pencil like $69 or $79 for educational use, not the same $99. So basically you have a $299 iPad and a $99 pencil, so thats $398, and if you want the rugged K-12 case/keyboard that is available for K-12 schools, thats another $99 and 3yr AppleCare+ is another $74 per iPad. The price can go up in a hurry depending on what you want to accomplish. I suppose not everyone needs to have an Apple Pencil with their iPad. I can see those getting lost/stolen pretty easily. 
    The price tag on Pencil just tells me that Apple has lost all understanding of the educational market.   They must think that every district in the country has a bottomless pit of money.   Worse is that unbundled solutions dont go over well in publically fiananced institutions.  

I suspect Apple is hopeful here that parents will buy the pencils and other accessories.  I just dont see schools doing this at all.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 85 of 122
    jcs2305 said:
    You are seriously banging on them for RAM for a $329.00 ( $299.00 if bought by schools ) iPad? Really?

I used an IPad air 2 until upgrading this past Christmas and it ran just fine on IOS11 with the same 2GB of RAM and the A8X processor! My girlfriend is currently using it and it is still running strong.. Please enlighten us on what these iPads would need more ram to do exactly? 

You sound like this person that argued with me on Reddit saying that IOS 11 ruined his Air 2, and that 2gb of RAM was to blame? I told him that either he needed to restore his Ipad or take it in to get looked at because mine worked just fine on IOS 11.  It was one of the silliest conversations I have had in a long time..
    What is silly is people arguing that RAM isnt important in an iPad.   Obviously some can better make us of that RAM than others but in general iPad has had a history of too little RAM to really perform at its best.   It wasn't until the 2GB machines arrived that more powerfull apps could work reliably.  As the OS itself has improved demand on RAM also increased there.  

The Apple community has had a history of defending Apple's paltry RAM allotment in IPads since the first models arrived.   I dont understand this mentality because each time a new model did come out with more RAM everybody cheered about how well the machine ran.  So either RAM is important or it isnt.   If you say it isnt all i can say is history doesn't support you here.  
    edited March 2018 elijahg
  • Reply 86 of 122
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 
    I agree with MG Siegler’s take. And he’s not anti-Apple.

https://500ish.com/apple-cedes-735192326da4

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)
    New cheap iPad: $329 for consumers, $299 for schools, no bundled Pencil, no Smart Connector. I don’t see this making a big difference in the marketplace when it comes to Apple’s war with Chromebooks.

Fraser Speirs (@fraserspeirs)
    Nothing so far is anywhere close to a game changer.

@happy_roman @easedrop @bradleychambers If you don't trust Google, you should be even more mad at Apple for letting Google dominate schools so much. Have you looked at the K-12 contracts for GSuite for education.

M.G. Siegler (@mgsiegler)
    Still need the hot takes to cool down a bit before I dive in, but my initial reaction to Apple’s education event is pretty meh. It feels like this is the second time in a row (HomePod being the first) that Apple doesn’t quite know the battleground on which they’re fighting.
    Yet he'll be wrong on sales, but hey, he "knows things".

Most of the people commenting on Apple are not anti-Apple, they just don't really have a clue about marketing and what Apple is actually selling.

Funny how Google introduced essentially a worse value tablet and those dumbasses were all jumping up and down like little idiots yesterday.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 87 of 122
    cutykamu said:
    Difference between iPad and iPad Pro is almost none now so I think this years iPad pros will bring Face ID to stand out. Maybe even oled screens. 
    Still in love with 2017 iPad Pro which is so speedy in launching apps n regular use. 
    The iPad Pro is gonna need much more than FaceID as a selling point. This new iPad 6 is a phenomenal value.
    Stuff the pros have:

- bigger screen sizes
    - larger storage capacities 
    - much better cameras
    - TrueTone
    - ProMotion
    - wide color display
    - brighter

...excellent features that exist in the pro versions for those needing or wanting more than standard use cases.
    Beyond that why even compare this iPad too models that will be updated shortly?   Im certain that we will be seeing Pro replacements shortly.   Most likely with a yet again enhanced SOC, expanded AI support, better RAM and Flash suppirt, and hopefully a surprise feature or two.  

It is a bit shocking but people in this thread act like Apple gave up on pro ipads.  
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 122
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I was hoping for new friction nibs for the Apple Pencil :-/
    Really awesome presentation though. Great spirit. And a massive amount of work going into all of this. Wow. I hope it's being put to good use!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 122
    wizard69 said:
    macxpress said:
    Ive been buying iPads for a long time and can safely say each time RAM was increased in the machine its capabilities and performance increased.
    And each time you get a new iPad, comparing to the previous model, its CPU is more powerful. So, how exactly did you make that conclusion that that performance increase was the result of memory size increase? I do not follow.

Well that is eas, far fewer out of memory errors/crashes.  It s fairly easy as a developer to determine RAM pressure.  Im not even sure why people argue this point as it is well proven that early iPads didnt have enough RAM.   The 2GB machines where a huge step forward as apps had access to almost 3X more RAM.  

More RAM means fewer trips back to Flash for data or code.   At times more RAM means sloppy code but a good programmer leverages RAM so as much data as possible is kept in RAM.  It can make for a huge difference in performance.  
    elijahg
  • Reply 90 of 122
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    foggyhill said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)
    New cheap iPad: $329 for consumers, $299 for schools, no bundled Pencil, no Smart Connector. I don’t see this making a big difference in the marketplace when it comes to Apple’s war with Chromebooks.

@happy_roman @easedrop @bradleychambers If you don't trust Google, you should be even more mad at Apple for letting Google dominate schools so much. Have you looked at the K-12 contracts for GSuite for education.

Still need the hot takes to cool down a bit before I dive in, but my initial reaction to Apple’s education event is pretty meh. It feels like this is the second time in a row (HomePod being the first) that Apple doesn’t quite know the battleground on which they’re fighting.

Most of the people commenting on Apple are not anti-Apple, they just don't really have a clue about marketing and what Apple is actually selling.

Funny how Google introduced essentially a worse value tablet and those dumbasses were all jumping up and down like little idiots yesterday.
    One could surmise the the Chromebook was always about price, and attached service, for the educations community, but this iPad, with Apple's announced service side upgrades and apps, looks to be very superior for elementary grades over the Chromebook. Surely those same prognosticators above would acknowledge how weak Google's tablet counter offering is comparative to the iPad.

I'm guessing that won't happen though.
    watto_cobrathtronn
  • Reply 91 of 122
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    tmay said:
    foggyhill said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

and a few others:

Stephen Hackett (@ismh)

One could surmise the the Chromebook was always about price, and attached service, for the educations community, but this iPad, with Apple's announced service side upgrades and apps, looks to be very superior for elementary grades over the Chromebook. Surely those same prognosticators above would acknowledge how weak Google's tablet counter offering is comparative to the iPad.

I'm guessing that won't happen though.
    I've not any experience with any of these in a school setting but just based on what I've read (and if price was no object) I think the iPad would be better for the lower grades. High School seems a better place for a Chromebook IMO. But like I said, I'm no educator and have zero personal knowledge about it. 
  • Reply 92 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    macxpress said:

Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Because you don't understand the education market? I doubt every student would get an iPad that has Apple Pencil and a keyboard. You can also use the $49 pencil Apple mentioned which also works. Apple isn't pushing Xcode...they're pushing Swift. Its obvious Xcode isn't in Apple's future as far as kids go. 

You also forgot the entire Apple Schoolwork suite, which is comparable to Google Classroom, Apple School Manager, etc.
    And what do you write & compile the Swift code in? Notes?
  • Reply 93 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    AI_lias said:
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    Only the Pro models have the smart connector that supports the Apple keyboard.
    This regular iPad supports 3rd party Bluetooth keyboards such as ones for Logitech.
    ... Actually, I think that's the better option:  The smart connector seems like a throwback to the corded keyboards of 20 years ago.  I have never understood what it offered.
    In a school environment it's much easier to have things wired than wireless. Wired things don't need pairing and keyboard and iPad mix ups don't result in juggling 30 iPads and keyboards trying to find what's paired to what. Wireless environments in schools are also extremely noisy, so performance is poor.

Apple does still seem to be out of touch with education. Long term these devices are cheaper, but if one gets broken/stolen then it immediately loses the long term argument and is another payout at the original price, especially with the easily losable $99 pencil. This replacement would be much less if it were a cheap Chromebook. From my experience in UK secondary schools, pupils really don't get on with iPads. They're useless for doing any amount of real productivity without a physical keyboard, and by the time you've bought a tack-on keyboard the Chromebook is cheaper, better supported and able to support most existing content without reformatting it as required for iPad. Apple seems good at getting these large iPad supply contracts, but then the untrained teachers try and use them in the same way as the PCs they were bought to replace which ends up bring clunky and awkward.

Between about 2004-2008 Apple's education pricing was excellent. They used to sell the eMac for about £490/~$700 to schools, which was great. With OS X Server centralised storage and authentication worked pretty well, though OS X server was pretty buggy. eMacs were fairly slow and had a cheap CRT with a weird anti-curvature lens, but for secondary education at that price they were perfect. The 2008 17" iMac Core 2 Duo was about £650/$900, again not bad but quite a bit more than the eMac. Now however Apple's cheapest education iMac is £1000/$1700. That's a lot of dough for a non-university level institution to fork out.

There was a fair percentage of pupils who would go on to buying their own Mac after using the ones in the school, so they helped kids to switch too - which was a very successful early strategy by Jobs with the Apple //. I think Apple needs to take a cut on profits for their education gear - and sell it at that lower price only to educational institutions - even if it's just to boost kids chance of a hands-on experience with a Mac.
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 94 of 122
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    wizard69 said:
    cutykamu said:
    Difference between iPad and iPad Pro is almost none now so I think this years iPad pros will bring Face ID to stand out. Maybe even oled screens. 
    Still in love with 2017 iPad Pro which is so speedy in launching apps n regular use. 
    The iPad Pro is gonna need much more than FaceID as a selling point. This new iPad 6 is a phenomenal value.
    Stuff the pros have:

- bigger screen sizes
    - larger storage capacities 
    - much better cameras
    - TrueTone
    - ProMotion
    - wide color display
    - brighter

...excellent features that exist in the pro versions for those needing or wanting more than standard use cases.
    Beyond that why even compare this iPad too models that will be updated shortly?   Im certain that we will be seeing Pro replacements shortly.   Most likely with a yet again enhanced SOC, expanded AI support, better RAM and Flash suppirt, and hopefully a surprise feature or two.  

It is a bit shocking but people in this thread act like Apple gave up on pro ipads.  
    Flash support? As in Adobe Flash?
  • Reply 95 of 122
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crosslad said:
    Thanks...
    When I was in college we didn't have computers...  I did take a programming class -- and we hand wrote the programs on the blackboard so the teacher could copy the answers for the next semester's class (so they wouldn't realize how clueless he was).

But, I cannot imagine doing college level work on an existing iPad.   Nor can I imagine doing professional type work on an iPad (too many spreadsheets!).
    ... Eventually Apple will have to give up and add a cursor...
    ... Or, produce an iOS laptop.
    ........... But then those are pretty much the same things...
    I work for a local authority. A few months back I attended a meeting with the authority’s solicitor. On the train home she used her iPad 2, not iPad Air 2, the the first iPad 2, remotely logged in to her work pc, downloaded a couple of draft documents, completed them and emailed them to the court. These new iPads with pencil support will be great for work. YouTube is full of Galaxy Note videos where users brag about how they can use their SPens to get real work done, and yet people still say you can’t use an iPad for real work!

Yeh, it's good for email and web browsing....   But most business users need more than that.

On Wednesday I watched a Q&A session with the Fed chairman.  There were about 25 reporters there and about 80% had either a MacBook or a ThinkPad.   Not one had a tablet.   Have you ever tried to do any serious typing or spreadsheet work on a tablet?   It stinks.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 96 of 122
    argonautargonaut Posts: 128member
    Wow, just wow. omfg - They knock it out of the park imho with this iPad release. In terms of value for money/spec for a starting level iPad... £320 in uk pounds. bargain!   
    I know what my girls are getting this year as an upgrade to their iPad Mini 4's :blush: 
  • Reply 97 of 122
    brucemc said:
    slurpy said:
    brucemc said:
    I hear ya!  Still no user replaceable battery or ability to do your own RAM upgrades, let alone a proper USB port to support peripherals!  What is Apple thinking...?

No wonder Apple is in such dire trouble...

Is this post for real? Yes, no? Serious question, I can't fucking tell anymore with all the trolls on this forum. 
    I thought it over the top enough to be evident...and you can always checkout my comment history...
    I got it right away.   Well almost right away.  I think you're both right:  As you said, it WAS over the top enough to be evident.  But these days, with the crazy trolls, you're never really sure how crazy is crazy.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    jdb8167 said:
    AI_lias said:
    Looking at the Apple website, it looks like this one will also support the keyboard, won't it? Isn't that a big deal also? I don't see it mentioned in the article.
    Only the Pro models have the smart connector that supports the Apple keyboard.
    This regular iPad supports 3rd party Bluetooth keyboards such as ones for Logitech.
    ... Actually, I think that's the better option:  The smart connector seems like a throwback to the corded keyboards of 20 years ago.  I have never understood what it offered.
    The Logitech rugged keyboard case advertised by Apple today is wired to the lightning port. It has a connector for the keyboard that connects magnetically to the case that looks remarkably similar to the Apple Smart Connector so the tablet can be easily separated from the keyboard.

The reason for the smart keyboard and this similar solution from Logitech is to avoid having to charge yet another device. They work off the power of the Lightning port and don't require external charging. And any wired solution should be more reliable than bluetooth though Apple seems to have that problem solved in the last few versions of iOS. I've read people having some trouble with the smart keyboard on the iPad Pro but I have one from each generation and have had no trouble. Wired really should be very robust.
    Wired?   Yeh, retro is cool!

WTF!   We don't even use wires to connect to something half way around the world.  Why should we need wires to connect to something 6 inches away?
    radarthekat
  • Reply 99 of 122
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    wizard69 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    You are seriously banging on them for RAM for a $329.00 ( $299.00 if bought by schools ) iPad? Really?

I used an IPad air 2 until upgrading this past Christmas and it ran just fine on IOS11 with the same 2GB of RAM and the A8X processor! My girlfriend is currently using it and it is still running strong.. Please enlighten us on what these iPads would need more ram to do exactly? 

You sound like this person that argued with me on Reddit saying that IOS 11 ruined his Air 2, and that 2gb of RAM was to blame? I told him that either he needed to restore his Ipad or take it in to get looked at because mine worked just fine on IOS 11.  It was one of the silliest conversations I have had in a long time..
    in general iPad has had a history of too little RAM to really perform at its best.  
    Reference needed. I’ve never held that opinion as a Day 1 user.  
  • Reply 100 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    tmay said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

Which he wrote and published yesterday.

What changed since then?

Seems to me, quite a bit.
    He linked to that article on Twitter today so...