New $329 iPad includes support for the Apple Pencil, A10 Fusion processor

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

crosslad said:
    Thanks...
    When I was in college we didn't have computers...  I did take a programming class -- and we hand wrote the programs on the blackboard so the teacher could copy the answers for the next semester's class (so they wouldn't realize how clueless he was).

But, I cannot imagine doing college level work on an existing iPad.   Nor can I imagine doing professional type work on an iPad (too many spreadsheets!).
    ... Eventually Apple will have to give up and add a cursor...
    ... Or, produce an iOS laptop.
    ........... But then those are pretty much the same things...
    I work for a local authority. A few months back I attended a meeting with the authority’s solicitor. On the train home she used her iPad 2, not iPad Air 2, the the first iPad 2, remotely logged in to her work pc, downloaded a couple of draft documents, completed them and emailed them to the court. These new iPads with pencil support will be great for work. YouTube is full of Galaxy Note videos where users brag about how they can use their SPens to get real work done, and yet people still say you can’t use an iPad for real work!

Yeh, it's good for email and web browsing....   But most business users need more than that.

On Wednesday I watched a Q&A session with the Fed chairman.  There were about 25 reporters there and about 80% had either a MacBook or a ThinkPad.   Not one had a tablet.   Have you ever tried to do any serious typing or spreadsheet work on a tablet?   It stinks.
    And what grade school kids are doing serious typing or spreadsheets?

Cars and trucks. Just because some people need trucks doesn’t mean everyone or even most do. 
    fastasleeptmaywatto_cobraronn
  • Reply 102 of 122
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Jason Snell and Myles Hurley upgrade podcast was good today. Jason was at the event. Good overview of what was announced. I do think it’s a legitimate quesion to ask if Apple should sacrifice more hardware margin in the education sector to take more share. I know many fans are horrified at the thought and think the only thing that matters is profit share but for many school districts even if Apple has the more compelling solution the budgets are so tight that spending $500 on an iPad + Pencil + keyboard is just too much. Apple can push a narrative about creativity, AR, new ways of teaching etc. but budgets are budgets. I think if Apple really wanted to own education and not in just well to do schools in well to do districts they could be more aggressive with their hardware pricing.
  • Reply 103 of 122
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tmay said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 
    I agree with MG Siegler’s take. And he’s not anti-Apple.

https://500ish.com/apple-cedes-735192326da4
    Which he wrote and published yesterday.

What changed since then?

Seems to me, quite a bit.
    He linked to that article on Twitter today so...
    So? MG Siegler is an okay writer, but he's also frequently guilty of the typical blogger handwringing/whining that's all too common in articles about Apple. This post of his is rife with that. Of course, that's probably what you like about it given your propensity for the same.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mavemufc said:
    Looks really good but I’m still waiting for the new Pros, and with how good this new one looks I’m even more excited for them now.
    More or less discovered that face-based instrument controls may likely be part of the new iPad Pros using Apple's GarageBand app, because the updated GarageBand for iPhone X includes such a feature.

UPDATE: Found a demo!

edited March 2018
  • Reply 105 of 122
    Jason Snell and Myles Hurley upgrade podcast was good today. Jason was at the event. Good overview of what was announced. I do think it’s a legitimate quesion to ask if Apple should sacrifice more hardware margin in the education sector to take more share. I know many fans are horrified at the thought and think the only thing that matters is profit share but for many school districts even if Apple has the more compelling solution the budgets are so tight that spending $500 on an iPad + Pencil + keyboard is just too much. Apple can push a narrative about creativity, AR, new ways of teaching etc. but budgets are budgets. I think if Apple really wanted to own education and not in just well to do schools in well to do districts they could be more aggressive with their hardware pricing.
    FUD about shrinking margins followed by a recommendation to shrink margins. /eyeroll

You know Apple has always had educational discounts, right?
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 122
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

crosslad said:
    Thanks...
    When I was in college we didn't have computers...  I did take a programming class -- and we hand wrote the programs on the blackboard so the teacher could copy the answers for the next semester's class (so they wouldn't realize how clueless he was).

But, I cannot imagine doing college level work on an existing iPad.   Nor can I imagine doing professional type work on an iPad (too many spreadsheets!).
    I work for a local authority. A few months back I attended a meeting with the authority’s solicitor. On the train home she used her iPad 2, not iPad Air 2, the the first iPad 2, remotely logged in to her work pc, downloaded a couple of draft documents, completed them and emailed them to the court. These new iPads with pencil support will be great for work. YouTube is full of Galaxy Note videos where users brag about how they can use their SPens to get real work done, and yet people still say you can’t use an iPad for real work!

Yeh, it's good for email and web browsing....   But most business users need more than that.

On Wednesday I watched a Q&A session with the Fed chairman.  There were about 25 reporters there and about 80% had either a MacBook or a ThinkPad.   Not one had a tablet.   Have you ever tried to do any serious typing or spreadsheet work on a tablet?   It stinks.

Cars and trucks. Just because some people need trucks doesn’t mean everyone or even most do. 
    Which grade school kids?
    My 5th grade grandson for one.   He refuses to use his iPad for Homework and instead uses his mom's junky Windows laptop.

But, my point was not about grade school kids (where an iPad can be perfect) -- it was about college students and professionals who vastly prefer the laptop style for their work.
    edited March 2018 canukstorm
  • Reply 107 of 122
    tmay said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:
    Great bang for the buck and quite possibly the last coffin nail for the vast majority of Android tablets.
    Why would Apple be targeting Android tablets? What’s popular in education is Chromebooks. Not sure how this event really made a dent there.
    Chromebooks are great for keyboard entry. Other than that iPads are better for drawing on and creating video and photographic projects. The iPad can do everything a Chromebooks can do and more. Time to retire my iPad 2 which is still going strong even though it feels slow by today’s standards. It still gets used every day by my now grown up daughter, who has been using it since her school days. I will be picking up an Apple Pencil too.  This will make an excellent work device as well as an educational device. 

What changed since then?

So? MG Siegler is an okay writer, but he's also frequently guilty of the typical blogger handwringing/whining that's all too common in articles about Apple. This post of his is rife with that. Of course, that's probably what you like about it given your propensity for the same.
    Is there something specific in the article you’d like to refute?
  • Reply 108 of 122
    FUD about shrinking margins followed by a recommendation to shrink margins. /eyeroll

You know Apple has always had educational discounts, right?
    Right and Jason Snell said on this podcast that the discounts used to be better than they are now. But hey I get it, Apple is all about premium products at premium prices and if a school district can’t afford it then they obviously don’t deserve the premium experience.
  • Reply 109 of 122

crosslad said:
    Thanks...

Which grade school kids?
    My 5th grade grandson for one.   He refuses to use his iPad for Homework and instead uses his mom's junky Windows laptop.

But, my point was not about grade school kids (where an iPad can be perfect) -- it was about college students and professionals who vastly prefer the laptop style for their work.
    So was this event targeted to grade schoolers? Seems like everything announced could’ve been done so by press release and it was more about PR, Apple saying we care about education too. This is what John Gruber posted on his blog. Ouch.

MAC RUMORS: ‘EVERYTHING APPLE ANNOUNCED AT TODAY’S EDUCATIONAL EVENT IN UNDER THREE MINUTES’ 

Three minutes? I’ll bet they could’ve gotten this down to 30 seconds. I don’t mean that to be sarcastic — it was an interesting event, but there wasn’t a lot of news.

• Reply 110 of 122
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member

crosslad said:
    Thanks...

Which grade school kids?

So was this event targeted to grade schoolers? Seems like everything announced could’ve been done so by press release and it was more about PR, Apple saying we care about education too. This is what John Gruber posted on his blog. Ouch.

MAC RUMORS: ‘EVERYTHING APPLE ANNOUNCED AT TODAY’S EDUCATIONAL EVENT IN UNDER THREE MINUTES’ 

Three minutes? I’ll bet they could’ve gotten this down to 30 seconds. I don’t mean that to be sarcastic — it was an interesting event, but there wasn’t a lot of news.

An Educational Event targeting Educators; persons not educators unhappy that "there wasn't a lot of news".

Duh.
    watto_cobrafastasleepGeorgeBMacronn
  • Reply 111 of 122
    wbmwbm Posts: 12unconfirmed, member
    I think it is great that there is a new iPad.  I like the idea of the pencil, though I can't keep a hold of these things, so I wouldn't expect schools or kids to be able to either, assuming the pencil is a product targeted at them.  It probably is for art, but I am not sure about what else it can be used for.  I'm not in that education market, so I don't know.

keyboards are crucial for creating content.  My kids loved reading from their ipads and still do.  When they need to create a document for school, they have always turned towards computers.  I can type on my ipad with the virtual keyboard, but I know I am way more productive with the physical keyboard.  A $300 ipad and the logitech keyboard, that is good sounding combo, but it depends on whether or not the marketplace buys to the point of profitability.  That is always the magic of the marketplace, sometimes it works great, other times not so much.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 112 of 122
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    I didn’t read every comment but as a parent what I want is an end to physical text books and notebooks. The amount of textbooks and notebooks my kids have had to haul around is ridiculous considering their weight and bulk. I really can’t believe how bulky and heavy my daughter’s backpack was she used to carry to middle school. Couple that with security restrictions that get more stringent every year. For example, even before the most recent incidents at public schools, in my son’s middle school they aren’t allowed to carry backpacks (or bags) going from class to class. I understand the reasons but it really is ridiculous because they haven’t provided a good solution on how the kids supposed to cart all of their books around a large campus. Having all of their text and note books on an iPad would be a great solution and pretty much eliminate the need for a backpack.
    fastasleepGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 113 of 122
    tmay said:

crosslad said:
    Thanks...

Which grade school kids?

An Educational Event targeting Educators; persons not educators unhappy that "there wasn't a lot of news".

Duh.
    Here’s someone who works in the education field:

Bradley Chambers (@bradleychambers)
    3/27/18, 9:48 PM
    I think I’ve finally figured how to sum up my thoughts from today. 

Tim mentioned they’ve been working in education for 40 years. 

Book 1 was the Mac

Book 2 was the iPad. Today’s announcement is chapter 6 of book 2.

I’m looking for Book 3, and I hope it’s being worked on. 

And another:

Fraser Speirs (@fraserspeirs)
    @easedrop @happy_roman Sorry guys. The reason you find my tweets valuable is because I tell you exactly what I think and right now I'm seriously concerned about Apple's direction in education.

I think yesterday was a PR event for Apple to say yes we care about education too and not much more. I don’t see it making a dent in Google’s grip on the classroom. School’s #1 concern is their budgets not marrying technology with liberal arts. Apple made a big deal over 200GB free iCloud storage. Well Google’s GSuite for eductation is unlimited (for everyone else it’s 1TB). Microsoft gives Office 365 users 1TB too.

elijahg
  • Reply 114 of 122
    wizard69 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    meh, announcement!  I am guessing with same 2GB LPDDR3 too!  LOL!  You get exactly what you pay for with this educational version.
    You are seriously banging on them for RAM for a $329.00 ( $299.00 if bought by schools ) iPad? Really?

I used an IPad air 2 until upgrading this past Christmas and it ran just fine on IOS11 with the same 2GB of RAM and the A8X processor! My girlfriend is currently using it and it is still running strong.. Please enlighten us on what these iPads would need more ram to do exactly? 

You sound like this person that argued with me on Reddit saying that IOS 11 ruined his Air 2, and that 2gb of RAM was to blame? I told him that either he needed to restore his Ipad or take it in to get looked at because mine worked just fine on IOS 11.  It was one of the silliest conversations I have had in a long time..
    in general iPad has had a history of too little RAM to really perform at its best.  
    Reference needed. I’ve never held that opinion as a Day 1 user.  

My own iPad Air would have been better off with 2GB RAM instead of 1GB RAM. It reloads Safari tabs all the time, terrible to use for browsing between multiple tabs. In any case, I would be buying this new iPad 2018 or iPad 2017 to replace my iPad Air.

One question on this iPad 2018 though - How many useful iOS updates do you expect this iPad to receive in future, WITHOUT terribly impacting performance? My expectation is ZERO. I will never update it beyond iOS 11 once I buy it and use it for 4 years without EVER updating it. I am perfectly fine with it. What about the people who say "Always update your iOS device, no matter what"?  Would you recommend people to update this iPad to iOS 14 in 2020? Will it be useful? Wouldn't iOS 13 or iOS 14 brick this iPad for all "practical" purposes?

• Reply 115 of 122
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    tmay said:

crosslad said:
    Thanks...

Which grade school kids?

Duh.
    Here’s someone who works in the education field:

Bradley Chambers (@bradleychambers)
    3/27/18, 9:48 PM
    I think I’ve finally figured how to sum up my thoughts from today. 

Tim mentioned they’ve been working in education for 40 years. 

Book 1 was the Mac

Book 2 was the iPad. Today’s announcement is chapter 6 of book 2.

I’m looking for Book 3, and I hope it’s being worked on. 

And another:

Fraser Speirs (@fraserspeirs)
    @easedrop @happy_roman Sorry guys. The reason you find my tweets valuable is because I tell you exactly what I think and right now I'm seriously concerned about Apple's direction in education.

I think yesterday was a PR event for Apple to say yes we care about education too and not much more. I don’t see it making a dent in Google’s grip on the classroom. School’s #1 concern is their budgets not marrying technology with liberal arts. Apple made a big deal over 200GB free iCloud storage. Well Google’s GSuite for eductation is unlimited (for everyone else it’s 1TB). Microsoft gives Office 365 users 1TB too.

Carolina Milanesi's article is also worth the read: https://techpinions.com/apple-renews-its-love-for-education-not-the-education-market/52562

"You have heard me before being very critical of the current school system where kids are measured on standardized tests and teachers teach in the same way they have done for the past several years. That is what Apple is setting up to change. The new tools in ClassKit allow to build a much more personalized teaching environment. Not all teachers might have the flexibility to build their own curriculum but they can take a more tailored approach to teaching based on what teaching method resonates best with a student. It might not be an approach that results in the biggest market share grab but it sure is strongly impactful."

This is another interesting perspective by Laptop Magazine. They're implying that Chromebooks perse are not the problem but they way in which the US approaches education: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/new-ipad-analysis-chromebooks

""Apple has always targeted the type of customer that is looking to invest in creative technologies for learning while Chromebooks have prioritized providing an affordable solution to bring digital productivity into classrooms and support online testing," said Futursource's Ben Davis. "Our market data suggests that the U.S. market to date has prioritised digital productivity and testing rather than creativity. "

Davis says Apple's announcement should give schools more cause to consider the type of creative learning that Apple promotes, especially as more schools consider content offerings in areas like computer science and multimedia arts."

edited March 2018 fastasleep
  • Reply 116 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Davis says Apple's announcement should give schools more cause to consider the type of creative learning that Apple promotes, especially as more schools consider content offerings in areas like computer science and multimedia arts."

Buuut you can't do any real computer science on an iPad: you can't write in any language that requires compilation. When using an iPad I feel like I do when using Windows, that's having a hand tied behind my back. The touch interface is too slow for most tasks, the continual tap-and-wait while its "are they going to tap a second time" timer expires is infuriating. And short of using force touch everywhere, its not really solvable.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 117 of 122
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Thought the same, still gonna be too expensive for most schools but I am glad Apple are trying to do something about it.
  • Reply 118 of 122
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    mavemufc said:
    Why do get the feeling this is more exciting for the non-education sector general consumer? For education an iPad plus Pencil plus keyboard is pushing $500. What’s compelling about that? And kids can learn to code on iPad but if they want to make an app they have to use a Mac because Xcode isn’t available on iPad. And the only changes to iWork apps worthy of mentioning is Pencil support? Apple in education still seems a bit confused.
    Thought the same, still gonna be too expensive for most schools but I am glad Apple are trying to do something about it.
    Apple could do with the iPad as they did with the eMac, they could create a cheap, stripped down education-only iPad with lower specs; perhaps without cameras, Touch ID and with an A9 CPU and bundled keyboard. Touch ID is pretty useless in a shared environment anyway, and even with one iPad per child projects its useful but not exactly required. And as I said earlier, typing on iPad without a keyboard is crap, and certainly worse than typing on even the cheapest laptop keyboard. Schools just don't see the value in iPad, when it's so limited without extra hardware. Even though the experience for kids is sub-par in some instances with Chromebooks, they can do everything without extra hardware and with little re-formatting of existing teaching resources.
    edited March 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 119 of 122
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    elijahg said:

Buuut you can't do any real computer science on an iPad: you can't write in any language that requires compilation. When using an iPad I feel like I do when using Windows, that's having a hand tied behind my back. The touch interface is too slow for most tasks, the continual tap-and-wait while its "are they going to tap a second time" timer expires is infuriating. And short of using force touch everywhere, its not really solvable.
    really, you can't connect with a terminal with a simple keyboard, run docker, kubernetes, aws, compute engines, machine learning.
    So, what more does using a small laptop offer in those cases, nobody's buying those monster 17 inch laptops anymore so it's not like you are getting much more screen space.

If anything, modern development is easier on such platforms than ever before when you were somewhat bound by the device you were  on.

I'm am currently CTO, but started by career on clunky terminals in the early 80s. and the claims of what is "needed" to be productive by some always amuses me.
    If people spent less time typing and more times thinking, programs would be less buggy... 

A lot of modern devs work that's supposed to be "reuseable" and less prone to bugs... looks to be neither.
    I come from the systems side were this kind of "libs/framework" of the week is frowned upon.

Java for me has always been an abonimation and that Google used it is somewhat fitting... "evil" breeds "evil" ;-).

edited March 2018 ronn
  • Reply 120 of 122
    tmay said:
    crosslad said:
    dewme said:

What changed since then?

Is there something specific in the article you’d like to refute?
    Sure. Complaining about the FCPX release when most of the initial gripes have been addressed long ago. Complaining about the Mac Pro when we know with no uncertainty that this was a mistake that Apple is aware they made (ie not ceding anything) and are fixing. Complaining they removed the glowing Apple when it’s clear the next step is going to OLED, ie no backlight. All of this is whiny handwringing and has nothing to do with the educational market. 
    thtronn