Apple issues iOS 11.3 only for new 2018 sixth generation iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2018
Apple on Wednesday released its anticipated iOS 11.3 update, but only for the 2018 "budget" sixth generation iPad, which was announced on Tuesday and will only ship to most people in the beginning of April.

Apple 2018 iPad sixth generation

Nevertheless, people who already have the tablet can download it as an over-the-air update by going into the iOS Settings app's General menu. Apple hasn't said when the software will become available for earlier devices like the iPhone X or iPad Pro.

The software is labeled as build 15E216 for 32-gigabyte iPads, and 15E218 for 128-gigabyte models. The current beta has build number 15E5216a -- with the four digits at the tail-end of the release generally noting a so-called "gold master" version.

11.3 has been in testing for some time, and is Apple's most important point release for iOS 11 so far, above all enabling new battery management features. Since iOS 10.2.1, Apple has automatically throttled some devices with chemically depleted batteries, but with 11.3 users will be able to monitor battery health and toggle throttling off except for extreme scenarios.

Other upgrades include promised Messages storage on iCloud, and support for ARKit 1.5, an improved version of Apple's augmented reality platform allowing things like vertical surface detection. Also added is software authentication for HomeKit, which should lower the barrier for accessory makers who once needed authentication chips.

The last iOS 11.3 beta was issued last week.

The 2018 iPad incorporates an A10 processor and Apple Pencil support, but is otherwise similar to 2017's model. It starts at $329 for the public, and $299 for schools.
gilly017

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    That's interesting. Is there something about the new iPad that necessitates an OS fix immediately before other devices get the release?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Any word on fix for broken Face ID, since 11.2? What is holding up repair for such an important feature? Surely this will be addressed before v12.0?  :/
  • Reply 3 of 18
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Any word on fix for broken Face ID, since 11.2? What is holding up repair for such an important feature? Surely this will be addressed before v12.0?  :/
    There is nothing wrong with Face ID
    StrangeDaysshark5150racerhomie3tdknox
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    I'm not at all clear what you're talking about. My iPhone X is on 11.2.6 and the Face ID on it is perfect.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Face ID is "broken" on 11.2? Wow, thanks for letting me know. I guess I must be delusional or in a coma since it has always worked for me. 
    StrangeDaystdknox
  • Reply 6 of 18
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    UPS delivers it tomorrow (3/29 Netherlands), nice!
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I'm not at all clear what you're talking about. My iPhone X is on 11.2.6 and the Face ID on it is perfect.

Please see my comment from Jan. 24 (w/video). This began  after  update to 11.2 :(
  • Reply 8 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Please see my comment from Jan. 24 (w/video). This began  after  update to 11.2 :(
    Not for anyone except you and that YouTube poster. You should make a Genius Bar appointment if you’ve tried doing a backup/restore and it’s still not working. Commenting here isn’t going to fix it. :)
    StrangeDaysmacxpresstdknox
  • Reply 9 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

From your linked comments I get the feeling you don’t have the X or this issue yourself. Care to clarify?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    New iPad price of $299 for schools is awesome. About, 11.3 release for new iPad means the general release should be any day.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    It is FAR from perfect, works horrible in low light, angle has to be just right and is a bit unreliable when used for apps like Canary for some reason...  Even on latest 11.3 beta...
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 12 of 18
    It is FAR from perfect, works horrible in low light, angle has to be just right and is a bit unreliable when used for apps like Canary for some reason...  Even on latest 11.3 beta...
    Mine works just fine in complete darkness and works the same across all apps because it's not app-centric, it's performed at the OS level.
    racerhomie3king editor the gratetdknox
  • Reply 13 of 18
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Works fine for me.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Works fine for me, including in low light, and at reasonably broad angles, and I also use the Canary app.

Maybe you need to retrain the facial recognition.
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 15 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    No problem in low light here, which makes sense since it uses IR.

Apps won’t make any difference whatsoever since they just call the API and don’t even know if it’s a Touch ID or Face ID. 

Angle does have to be one that shows your face in a normal way. 

But the biggest thing is, you have to actually look at it during the auth window. Some people find they aren’t used to doing that, so if you swipe up while not also looking at it it won’t unlock. (unless you disable this added security feature)
    fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 18
    No problem in low light here, which makes sense since it uses IR.

Apps won’t make any difference whatsoever since they just call the API and don’t even know if it’s a Touch ID or Face ID. 

Angle does have to be one that shows your face in a normal way. 

But the biggest thing is, you have to actually look at it during the auth window. Some people find they aren’t used to doing that, so if you swipe up while not also looking at it it won’t unlock. (unless you disable this added security feature)
    I've noticed it seems to work somewhat faster/better at odd angles if I open my eyes wider at times, since I have Require Attention turned on. This may affect certain users more than others I would imagine.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 17 of 18
    hackerhacker Posts: 1member
    According to Apple's release information, this article's statement that iOS 11.3 is available only for the 6th generation iPad is incorrect.

iOS 11.3 is available for iPad Air and later, and the iPhone 5s and later.  It's the iPod touch that's only has availability for the 6th generation.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    hacker said:
    According to Apple's release information, this article's statement that iOS 11.3 is available only for the 6th generation iPad is incorrect.

iOS 11.3 is available for iPad Air and later, and the iPhone 5s and later.  It's the iPod touch that's only has availability for the 6th generation.
    Check the date on this article. At the time this was written, it was only released for that iPad. A day later, it was released for everything else. Congrats on your first post! Better luck on your second. :)