Apple releases tvOS 11.3 for Apple TV with new filtering options & more

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited March 2018
Apple has released the final version of tvOS 11.3 for the Apple TV and Apple TV 4K, bringing several expected improvements -- but not anticipated AirPlay 2 compatibility.

If an Apple TV isn't set to download automatically, the update should be available by going into the Settings app, then selecting System, Software Updates, and finally Update Software, after which an Apple TV should restart and install.

AirPlay 2 is intended to let people stream music from an iPhone or iPad to multiple TVs or speakers, and integrate those outputs into HomeKit. The feature was stripped out of later betas, however, for reasons unknown.

Instead enhancements include rating-based content filtering options in device management, upgraded content matching, and the porting of automatic display mode switching from the Apple TV 4K to 1080p Apple TVs.

The update comes on the same day as iOS 11.3 with the beta of Apple's battery monitoring routines and watchOS 4.3 with the return of music browsing on a connected iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    KyneKyne Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Still no word on Dolby Atmos, eh?   :(
    doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 13
    WebMaster305WebMaster305 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I was just going to to ask about Dolby Atmos. FAIL! Come on Apple!
    doozydozenjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Compatibility with Sony TV Dolby Vision?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 13
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Yes, the delay in adding losses Atmos (or DTS:X if this is to be a supported streaming format) is really disappointing... I'm becoming resigned its being pushed to ATV 5 for whatever reason...technically, there is nothing holding the ATV4k from doing this. Perhaps there are licensing issues?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    thrang said:
    Yes, the delay in adding losses Atmos (or DTS:X if this is to be a supported streaming format) is really disappointing... I'm becoming resigned its being pushed to ATV 5 for whatever reason...technically, there is nothing holding the ATV4k from doing this. Perhaps there are licensing issues?
    Those are the (totally un-confirmable) whispers we've heard.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    thrang said:
    Is this also the expected update for Apple's HomePod (handled within the Home app)? I'm assuming it is. 

EDIT: Yes it is.
    edited March 2018 doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 13
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Biggest things I’d like to see from Apple TV is more intergration with the TV app. I’d like more apps to feed into the Sports section and would love to see Hulu & Netflix added to the TV section 
    jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    thrang said:
    The only whispers I've heard involve complications with getting Siri's voice into Atmos mix.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/21/16341876/new-apple-tv-4k-review-2017
  • Reply 9 of 13
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

supadav03 said:
    Biggest things I’d like to see from Apple TV is more intergration with the TV app. I’d like more apps to feed into the Sports section and would love to see Hulu & Netflix added to the TV section 
    I see Hulu in my TV section all the time but Netflix is a holdout.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    vokbainvokbain Posts: 15member
    Well, it's been about two hours and I've already had some random person try to AirPlay to my Apple TV. No sign of any unexpected connections to my network, so it must be coming from somewhere else.

Buggy ass Apple.

• Reply 11 of 13
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,145member
    ...and 11.2.x keeps incessantly asking me to sign in to Apple when all I want to do is watch a netflix movie - my AppleTV has become literally UNUSABLE - why is that...?

• Reply 12 of 13
    vokbain said:
    Well, it's been about two hours and I've already had some random person try to AirPlay to my Apple TV. No sign of any unexpected connections to my network, so it must be coming from somewhere else.

Buggy ass Apple.

I made the mistake of installing a couple Apple TVs in the house next door. Now every time I try to Airplay something, the neighbour's Apple TVs show up on the list of targets along with ours.

That's not an issue by itself, but the list populates gradually after the initial pulldown. The list changes as devices are detected and added. When a new device is added to the list, everything after it moves down one line. That means sometimes the list changes AS I'M CLICKING. I'll move the cursor over "Living Room Apple TV" but the list updates just as I'm clicking, resulting in me accidentally selecting one of the neighbour's Apple TVs.

The access you experienced may be something similarly unintended and innocent.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

AI: and the porting of automatic display mode switching from the Apple TV 4K to 1080p Apple TVs.

I still don't understand what this is. I was hoping it was auto match resolution of content to send to my TV for upscaling, but that option does not appear to available after the update. Guess I'm still switching between 1080p and 4K manually then.