iOS 11.3 with battery improvements, ARKit 1.5, HomeKit authentication now available for iP...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jcs2305 said:
    So, according to the new Battery Health (Beta) feature, it says that my iPhone 6 Plus (bought in late October of '14) is 99% of what it was when I purchased it.  Which is just bunk.  I'm on the list to get a new replacement battery because it can't make it through the day without a recharge.
    Have you tried anything at all to help battery life?  Turn the screen down a bit, kill the background app refresh etc?  Have you restored your phone recently? Is there an app eating your battery that you aren't aware of?  Have you done anything at all to try and see what the cause of your drain? Even a good battery can be drained prematurely if there is something causing the drain..

What's "bunk" are people who jump on the internet and trash an update, or a new function yet have no idea how to maintain their device?
    Many folks buy iPhone due to the fact you don't have to think about that kind of stuff as compared to something running Android. It just works. Scolding someone for not being technically knowledgeable seems counter to that. 
    edited March 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    elijahg said:
    Seems after removing Airplay 2 and iCloud iMessage sync there's not really anything of any significance in iOS 11.3. New animojis and a UIView for data the OS already knew..! Yay...  these things should be in a minor point update, not major. What is going on at Apple? I can imagine iCloud message sync is pretty complex, but Airplay 2? With the number of engineers Apple has, and the seeming near-complete state of Airplay 2, what on Earth are they actually doing? Development seems soooo slow nowadays.
    Agreed.  I appreciate the security updates, but between improvements (US Only), improvements (iPhoneX Only), and improvements (For AppleMusic Subscribers only), and things I couldn't give a RA about (Animojis even if I had an X) there isn't much left to get me excited. 

I downloaded it on my iPP and SE and it seems to run fine. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 43
    You do know that iOS 11.4 is following close behind......right?

Apple has already signalled this.....
    https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=03272018a
  • Reply 24 of 43
    GaryB2GaryB2 Posts: 1member
    The battery page now lists "Battery Health (BETA)" - Don't ever remember Apple releasing a feature with a beta tag in settings like this.

Also battery health feature not available on iPad. Did a chat with support and they confirmed not released for iPad.

Also seeing 99% health on an iPhone 7 that's been a test device for a year; it hardly lasts two hours not connected to power.

Not feeling the love; feels more like they were drug kicking and screaming to give us this half-baked feature.

/meh

edited March 2018
  • Reply 25 of 43
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Battery health says my capacity on my iPhone 6 with its original battery is at 80%.  Sounds about right.  Nothing about throttling, but I've got a feeling I'll get a random shutdown pretty soon and it will be activated.  Gonna get the $30 replacement in the next couple of months and hopefully it will do fine until this fall when the 6.1" LCD model comes out and I can relegate it to a backup device.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    tnewton50 said:
    aaaaand runs like crap on iPhone X... great
    Smooth as butter on my ipX and 10.5 Pro. Noticeably snappier and smooth   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tnewton50 said:
    aaaaand runs like crap on iPhone X... great
    Works just fine on mine. What's your problem?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43

macseeker said:
    iPod Touch?  What's that?  /s
    Yes, iPod Touch 6th generation can be upgraded to iOS 11.3.

On another MAJOR problem:

CRAP!!  I mean CRAP!!  iOS 11.3 requires iTunes version 12.7.3 to be installed.  I use version 12.6.3 to manage my apps on my iPads and iPod Touch.
    Have you tried Configurator 2 instead?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    ireland said:
    elijahg said:
    Seems after removing Airplay 2 and iCloud iMessage sync there's not really anything of any significance in iOS 11.3. New animojis and a UIView for data the OS already knew..! Yay...  these things should be in a minor point update, not major.
    Not defending Apple but this isn’t a major update. It’s a point update. Let’s hope they are holding back on Messages in iCloud and Airplay 2 because they are not happy with how they work and intend on reengineering both to make them rock solid. As for me I’m I beta 6 I think and I have messages in iCloud. But all of my Macs are running Sierra so it’s of no use to me ha.
    I meant this is a major point update, i.e. nn.X. A minor point update would be nn.n.X. I'm sure they've not released it as they don't want it to be buggy, but geez. They've had a year to work on it, and the AR stuff has had major improvements in that time, despite AR being an order of magnitude more complex than Airplay 2. Similarly to you I had messages in iCloud, but never had a 10.13.4 beta to try it on.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    jcs2305 said:
    So, according to the new Battery Health (Beta) feature, it says that my iPhone 6 Plus (bought in late October of '14) is 99% of what it was when I purchased it.  Which is just bunk.  I'm on the list to get a new replacement battery because it can't make it through the day without a recharge.
    Have you tried anything at all to help battery life?  Turn the screen down a bit, kill the background app refresh etc?  Have you restored your phone recently? Is there an app eating your battery that you aren't aware of?  Have you done anything at all to try and see what the cause of your drain? Even a good battery can be drained prematurely if there is something causing the drain..

What's "bunk" are people who jump on the internet and trash an update, or a new function yet have no idea how to maintain their device?
    Someone's triggered.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    macseeker said:

CRAP!!  I mean CRAP!!  iOS 11.3 requires iTunes version 12.7.3 to be installed.  I use version 12.6.3 to manage my apps on my iPads and iPod Touch.
    ...those buggers in Cupertino aren't going to stop boiling us frogs until they can track every time we pass wind... The main reason for 'streamlining' as I see it is they now know what apps are on each device - %$!* Apple... Yosemite 10.3 introduced photos with image tagging with NO OFF SWITCH and we think facebook is bad...
    <p>
    Anyone using iCloud ? Feeling safe there ? Server deprecation ? Really ? Interlinked...?
    Blade Runner 2049 - Memory Facility Scene [HD] - YouTube
    Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test (Both Scenes) - YouTube
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 32 of 43
    GaryB2 said:
    The battery page now lists "Battery Health (BETA)" - Don't ever remember Apple releasing a feature with a beta tag in settings like this.

Also battery health feature not available on iPad. Did a chat with support and they confirmed not released for iPad.

Also seeing 99% health on an iPhone 7 that's been a test device for a year; it hardly lasts two hours not connected to power.

Not feeling the love; feels more like they were drug kicking and screaming to give us this half-baked feature.

/meh

Wouldn't it need a full charging cycle to calibrate, like the remaining battery indicator? Just guessing...
  • Reply 33 of 43
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    My battery is at 85% for a 22 month old phone (it's a 6s), so about what I expected, still getting peak performance but would probably need a battery replacement by early next year.
    I'm not a very heavy user and used my 3GS 3.5 years before replacing the battery.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 34 of 43
    GaryB2 said:

/meh

Seems doubtful, I got 85% on  2h year old phone and yeah, I last more than 2h,

Look a wth you are running on that phone, even crap batteries run longer than 2h unless you are getting a shutdown (and not because the battery is mere depleted to 0%) because the batteries real bad (can't furnish peak power) and that's "badness" is not well detected (considering that same detection is the one giving the throttling, that means you were not getting throttled).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    tipoo said:
    Looks like beta 6 was the final build, no update available here. Hm. I still had a few niggling bugs. 
    Then you are not on the final build. Remove the 'Beta' profile you have on the device... then turn off the device and restart it. Check for an Update and you will see the actual Final 10.3 GM build asking to be downloaded.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 43
    I've just updated on my iPhone 6, and it feels like I got a new phone! Everything is MUCH faster. Apps load faster, animations don't stall, I no longer have to wait 10 seconds before I can start typing in a text message, etc. This was a great update for me.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    jcs2305 said:

Everything you noted I already know.  What I'm simply saying is that after using my iPhone for 3 1/2 years, there is no way that my battery is 99% of what it was when new.  The 6 Plus has a big battery, and used to run well into the second day before needing a recharge.  Now it won't make it through the day.  Can I mitigate it with all of the tricks you note?  Of course.  Doesn't change the fact that whoever designed the algorithm for battery life is probably the same guy who figures how much time is left for a software install ("Time remaining: 46 minutes <1 minute later> Time remaining: 5 minutes").
  • Reply 38 of 43
    jcs2305 said:

Everything you noted I already know.  What I'm simply saying is that after using my iPhone for 3 1/2 years, there is no way that my battery is 99% of what it was when new.  The 6 Plus has a big battery, and used to run well into the second day before needing a recharge.  Now it won't make it through the day.  Can I mitigate it with all of the tricks you note?  Of course.  Doesn't change the fact that whoever designed the algorithm for battery life is probably the same guy who figures how much time is left for a software install ("Time remaining: 46 minutes <1 minute later> Time remaining: 5 minutes").
    Yet, it ALSO MEANS YOU WERE NOT GETTING THROTTLED. After 3.5 years, you should change the god damn battery anyway, so do it.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, looks like iOS 11.3 has really screwed up WiFi connectivity on the iPad and iPhone... the WiFi connection intermittently pops on and off for no reason. I'll try to find out if others are having the same issue. This is not good.

UPDATE:  Looks like I had to delete my WiFi password across all devices, then re-enter the password and now it's solved. Really strange.
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 40 of 43
    macseeker said:

...those buggers in Cupertino aren't going to stop boiling us frogs until they can track every time we pass wind... The main reason for 'streamlining' as I see it is they now know what apps are on each device - %$!* Apple... Yosemite 10.3 introduced photos with image tagging with NO OFF SWITCH and we think facebook is bad...
    <p>
    Anyone using iCloud ? Feeling safe there ? Server deprecation ? Really ? Interlinked...?
    Blade Runner 2049 - Memory Facility Scene [HD] - YouTube
    Blade Runner 2049 Baseline Test (Both Scenes) - YouTube
    It's medication time. 

watto_cobra
    iu.jpeg 12.9K