Apple debuts macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 with Business Chat and eGPU support

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2018
Apple today updated macOS to version 10.13.4, bringing new features like Business Chat in Messages and support for external GPU (eGPU) enclosures to Mac users.

The public release follows multiple betas seeded alongside previews of iOS 11.3, watchOS 4.3, and tvOS 11.3, final versions of which went live earlier today.

Apple's latest macOS can be downloaded through High Sierra's built-in update mechanisms or through the Mac App Store.

Business Chat lets people communicate directly with companies via Messages and even make purchases. The feature was announced at WWDC and was initially slated to ship with iOS 11 and macOS 10.13 last year.

eGPU support can add extra speed for graphics-heavy tasks, such as VR, gaming, and CAD. This does, however, require a separate Thunderbolt 3 enclosure, as well as a dedicated video card, which together can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 update improves the stability, performance, and security of your Mac, and it is recommended for all users. This update:

In addition to major feature introductions, the update fixes a number of issues including graphics corruption problems impacting certain apps on iMac Pro and a bug that prevented web link previews from appearing in Messages. A series of Safari enhancements are also incorporated, with users now able to jump to the right-most tab with a Command+9 key combination and sort bookmarks by name or URL using the "Sort by..." option. New Safari privacy and security features also come with the update.

Additional enhancements include the ability to sort Safari bookmarks, and more clarity on privacy and personal information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Upgradable graphics for Macs is exciting, but won't we need cards that are Mac compatible? Surely the eGPU doesn't magically make a card work with MacOS. I'm skeptical there will suddenly be MacOS support in graphics cards on account of this new eGPU capability.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Upgradable graphics for Macs is exciting, but won't we need cards that are Mac compatible? Surely the eGPU doesn't magically make a card work with MacOS. I'm skeptical there will suddenly be MacOS support in graphics cards on account of this new eGPU capability.
    Nearly everything recent for AMD works fine in an eGPU plug and play. Everything from the last four years for Nvidia works with assorted hacks from the eGPU community. Nothing requires a flashed card.

At present, I am using a stock Vega 56 on a 4K Acer display to type this at you. I have used a RX580 and a Vega 64 as well -- all stock. We'll monkey with the full release, and talk to some people we know about it in the next few days.
    edited March 2018 fastasleepmagman1979MisterKitroundaboutnowh2pdeepinsiderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    You do need Thunderbolt 3 though so it's only going to be later Macs/MacBooks that are going to benefit from this update.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    You do need Thunderbolt 3 though so it's only going to be later Macs/MacBooks that are going to benefit from this update.
    The biggest beneficiary is the MacBook Pro with an external display, or an external display attached to an iMac. Looping back to the internal display on either the MBP is iMac is possible, but it's a bandwidth constrained environment to begin with, only made worse by doing that.
    h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Business Chat
    How did I miss this? Probably because I don’t really pay attention to Apple anymore. This has the potential to replace all of the individual companies’ websites’ “chat” services COMPLETELY! That crap is TERRIBLE. Moving them all to the best IM framework on the market could massively decrease time spent on these issues. Sounds great. Now to get my Mac Pro to actually accept another OS X update, because 10.13.3 refused to install.
    bshanklostkiwi
  • Reply 6 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I use an NVIDIA GeForce 1050 in my 2012 Mac Pro and it works fine. You just don't get the boot screen which is fine with me. I rarely ever need it anyways and when I do, I just plug in the AMD 5750 that came with it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Update was fine. But starting to use, especially iTunes led to problems with Apple Music iCloud library.

Issue started as soon as I started trying to backup my iPhone X to the new  iTunes 17.7.4.76 that updated first before the new High Sierra update that  my iTunes started hanging. I then had to force quit it twice. Reported the issues, when asked because of force quit, then when restarting again got some thing about reloading library.xml something (longer name) then after a bit it said my library was corrupt? what the heck?  

After a bit it is now in mode of gathering info about my iCloud music library and making it available. My iPhone, iPad and another Mac are ok but this is main Mac and now all my playlists and albums of downloaded Apple Music are missing while it makes the library available again. What the heck is going on? 

And to add more detail  to this, before iTunes started locking (while I was trying to backup my iPhone X via WIFI) all the Apple Music albums and playlists were populated. They were even playing on my homepod which was also updated to 11.3. It was only after this problem trying to back up my iPhone wirelessly that got iTunes in a fit and gave me the dreaded spinning beachball leading to failure to respond and I got tired of it twice and did that force quit.

Final note now after half hour and researching this and writing this post the info about my Apple Music Library is 80 percent "gathered" so I assume/hope my apple music downloads will reappear on my Mac? And the answer is yes but dang 45 minutes of my iCloud Apple Music library on my Mac vanishing -- at least it was fine on my iOS devices. I have not tried to backup my iPhone X yet letting the final work Finnish -- now uploading to iCloud music library, but my Apple Music playlists and albums I downloaded are all magically back hmmmm
    edited March 2018
  • Reply 8 of 25
    What is the size of the update?

• Reply 9 of 25
    Depends on the machine, wouldn’t it? Mine was 2 gigs and updated flawlessly.
    magman1979
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Depends on the machine, wouldn’t it? Mine was 2 gigs and updated flawlessly.
    Thank you! Mine didn't so I'm updating trough terminal, now I know that something is wrong because it's going for more than an hour! Terminal doesn't show progress on download, or installation.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    The march of the first day of release overloaded server crash test dummies....

maybe a tethered update, download, pause, update. But on the fly over the air? The first day traffic crashes seem too risky.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25

So, uh… why’d they do this to Safari? Why can’t I say “allow first party cookies only”? Look, I know that it never worked. IT NEVER WORKED. I ALWAYS got third party cookies. But this was a conscious decision they made, to change this feature. They took time to go into Safari and actually do something. AND THEY DIDN’T BOTHER TO ADD A COOKIE WHITELIST. Do they care anymore?

Also, is “prevent cross-site tracking” Apple’s way of saying, “We’re wiping the HTTP REFERER when you click on a link,” or is it something else entirely? Because I’d like to wipe my HTTP REFERERs but there’s no Safari extension to do that.
    edited March 2018 deepinsider
  • Reply 13 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    This update went smoothly.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    For me the Safari CMD+9 actually works as CMD+OPT+9.  Perhaps its a setting somewhere.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

So, uh… why’d they do this to Safari? Why can’t I say “allow first party cookies only”? Look, I know that it never worked. IT NEVER WORKED. I ALWAYS got third party cookies. But this was a conscious decision they made, to change this feature. They took time to go into Safari and actually do something. AND THEY DIDN’T BOTHER TO ADD A COOKIE WHITELIST. Do they care anymore?

Also, is “prevent cross-site tracking” Apple’s way of saying, “We’re wiping the HTTP REFERER when you click on a link,” or is it something else entirely? Because I’d like to wipe my HTTP REFERERs but there’s no Safari extension to do that.
    I don't know why block all cookies even exists...in my experience, about 80% or better of the websites you go to don't work unless cookies are enabled. 
  • Reply 16 of 25
    kencokenco Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Can Safari really sort its bookmarks now? Apple, it only took you 15 years. What next? A Mail preference for attachments as icons only?????
  • Reply 17 of 25
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,717member
    Uhm, messages in the cloud? Anyone? Bueller?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Business Chat
    How did I miss this? Probably because I don’t really pay attention to Apple anymore. This has the potential to replace all of the individual companies’ websites’ “chat” services COMPLETELY! That crap is TERRIBLE. Moving them all to the best IM framework on the market could massively decrease time spent on these issues. Sounds great. Now to get my Mac Pro to actually accept another OS X update, because 10.13.3 refused to install.
    Yep. Agree, this could be huge! Great convenience to owners/users, and Apple edges in on Facebook, Google, etc territory. Future generations of Siri possible beneficiary too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    On a sidenote I was surprised how difficult it was to make a Genius Bar appointment over the phone a month ago. Several phone calls, switch to national line in US, and wait of maybe 4-5 minutes-- an eternity for a brat like me. (Thankfully, once at the Apple store everything went 5 stars.) Hope Biz messages ensures that never happens again to any Apple user, besides allowing us to order an occasional pizza, etc without downloading a Dominoes, Papa John, etc app.
    lostkiwih2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Hmmm... Updated... Doesn’t boot... SSD no loner shows up. Unfortunately was part of Fusion drive. :-/
    h2p