Fake news: Apple isn't killing iTunes music downloads

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Apple should offer ALAC (Apple Lossless) files for a slightly higher price. As it is, I buy the CD and rip it to iTunes in ALAC or buy from HD tracks. If you order a CD from Amazon you also get digital tracks to use and it is no more expensive than iTunes.

I am done with iTunes for music until they up their game. Not going to rent music from Apple or anyone else.
    unbeliever2
  • Reply 22 of 29
    YvLy said:
    "Digital downloads are now being outsold by CDs and vinyl" Really??? Wow .... that alone would be worth a story!! Can you elaborate on that? (Me too, I recently "re-discovered" my CD's ... the sound ... soo much better ... )
    It was in the news last week:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/22/17152120/digital-downloads-cd-vinyl-riaa-2017-report
  • Reply 23 of 29
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Another comment. There are two core reasons I can see to "own" your music. The first is you are not some one who moves along with the times and are still concerned about logging in online. The second which I have experienced is if you use some music devices to stream music you have to own it to play it through the device. Not an issue though if you stick to Apple's ecosystem. But could be a huge issue for many.
    And then there is 'going off grid'. I know that it is frowned upon in this always connected world but flicking your device into 'Airplane Mode' (my iPad has not been online for 6 months) allows you to get on with life without the 'connected world' butting in every 30 seconds with a FB Notification or something equally inane from Twitter etc.
    I do not allow any 3rd-party app to use notifications. If this ever became not under our control, i would stop using any 3rd-party app that had notifications (and be pissed that Apple removed our control).
    baconstangnunzy
  • Reply 24 of 29

YvLy said:
    "Digital downloads are now being outsold by CDs and vinyl" Really??? Wow .... that alone would be worth a story!! Can you elaborate on that? (Me too, I recently "re-discovered" my CD's ... the sound ... soo much better ... )
    I buy way more music on CD than any other way. It irritates me that Trent Reznor thinks vinyl is better than CD and has opted to offer vinyl but NOT CD for some of his releases. I will buy digital when it's the only option, but I SEEK the CD. I've even bought CDs for things i originally bought digital, once they became available later.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    As for the "Fake News" declaration in the article title... they've messed it up. Adding a colon after "fake news" means that the rest of their sentence is characterized as "fake news". Time to brush up on grammar...
    tallest skilsfolax
  • Reply 26 of 29
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Apple doesn't sell any music. Apple only licenses music. When I buy an actual CD from a store, I can resell it because the CD is mine. I can't resell music that I buy from Apple, so it's not mine. In fact I can't even bequeath it to someone when I die, (the music is "non-transferrable") even if I invested $10,000 in music from their store. You are merely renting it, just as Apple Music allows you to rent music. The difference is price. I pay about $10/month/allsongs for Apple Music, while I pay $1/life/onesong for "buying" (licensing) a song on iTunes. Which one is more economical? That depends on your age and how much you want to spend. If you're over 50 then "buying" music is probably a bad idea since it all disappears the day you die. But in any case, let's stop all this talk about "buying music online." Rent, or rent not, there is no buy. (Apologies to Yoda.)
    tallest skilnunzygatorguy
  • Reply 27 of 29
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Apple doesn't sell any music. Apple only licenses music... If you're over 50 then "buying" music is probably a bad idea since it all disappears the day you die.
    I made your argument, oh... maybe a decade ago. People didn’t listen then, either. Only when the back end of the service is shut off will anyone realize just what they don’t own. But then again, people aren’t grabbing their guns over property taxes or the concept of apartment rent, so I doubt anyone will actually care even if they do “realize.”
    nunzy
  • Reply 28 of 29
    CNET doesn't own news.com.au.

edited April 2018
  • Reply 29 of 29
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    Apple doesn't sell any music. Apple only licenses music. When I buy an actual CD from a store, I can resell it because the CD is mine. I can't resell music that I buy from Apple, so it's not mine. In fact I can't even bequeath it to someone when I die, (the music is "non-transferrable") even if I invested $10,000 in music from their store. You are merely renting it, just as Apple Music allows you to rent music. The difference is price. I pay about $10/month/allsongs for Apple Music, while I pay $1/life/onesong for "buying" (licensing) a song on iTunes. Which one is more economical? That depends on your age and how much you want to spend. If you're over 50 then "buying" music is probably a bad idea since it all disappears the day you die. But in any case, let's stop all this talk about "buying music online." Rent, or rent not, there is no buy. (Apologies to Yoda.)
    It ain't gonna disappear the day I die.  It'll still be right there on my hard drive, easy for my heirs to import into their own iTunes accounts.