Video: Apple's 2018 iPad vs. 2017 iPad benchmark comparison

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2018
We're taking a hands-on look at Apple's new sixth-generation $329 iPad and comparing it to last year's model, complete with benchmark scores.

Here at AppleInsider, we just got our hands on Apple's new 2018 budget iPad. Like last year's model, it's only $329, but this time, it's available in gold. Other than that, the exterior is literally identical to the old one.

On the inside, the processor has been upgraded to Apple's A10 Fusion chip, which came with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. To see how it compares to the A9 chip in last years iPad, let's take a look at benchmarks.

In Geekbench 4's single core test, the new iPad was 44 percent faster. Multi-core showed even more improvement with a 53 percent better score.

For the GPU test, there wasn't as big of a difference, but the new iPad was still 23 percent faster. Running Antutu's benchmark, the 2018 iPad scored around 38 percent higher than the previous model.

We saw exactly the same results in 3D Mark's Slingshot Extreme benchmark, with a 38 percent better score.

Apple 2018 iPad vs 2017 iPad

Moving onto browser benchmarks, the 2018 iPad scored a hefty 45 percent higher in Octane 2.0. We also ran Antutu's HTML5 benchmark and saw a 22 percent better score compared to the old iPad.

One thing we noticed is that the 2017 iPad would lag behind in some of the benchmarks even though we started them at the exact same time.

For being priced exactly the same as last year's model, the new 2018 iPad definitely blows the old one out of the water in terms of performance.

Games and augmented reality apps should definitely run a lot smoother, and even the whole UI in general feels a lot snappier than before.

On top of that, you get Apple Pencil support on the new iPad, which you couldn't previously get without buying an iPad Pro, which costs a minimum of $649.

We've got to hand it to Apple for offering such an awesome iPad for such a cheap price. Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more iPad comparisons coming soon.

Have you purchased the new 2018 iPad? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Where to buy

Looking to purchase a new iPad? Apple authorized resellers are accepting orders with added tax incentives for many. Both Adorama and B&H will not collect sales tax on orders shipped outside NY and NJ, but B&H may report sales in CO and VT*. Both retailers are also offering shoppers free shipping in the contiguous U.S. For a full list of deals and product availability, please visit our 2018 iPad Price Guide.

Those looking for a bargain on a 2017 iPad can also save up to $60 on last-gen models, according to our 2017 9.7-inch iPad Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    At the end: iPad will be the only tablet left...beside junky Amazon Fire lol...
    cornchipradarthekatvannygeeericthehalfbeewatto_cobraalbegarc
  • Reply 2 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It got  a thumbs up from my game playing grandson.   That's the only benchmark I need!

Now, if we can just get him to give a thumbs up to doing his homework on it!  But, with the Bluetooth keyboard, its almost a mini laptop.  So, he should...  We'll see...
    One thing that may help is being able to pull up Google Classroom but keep a window open for Apple Music songs and videos...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Kind of makes me a little irritated I got an iPad Pro + Pencil last year, but I have gotten a lot of use out of it. So there’s that.
    watto_cobrahrguy
  • Reply 4 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    fallenjt said:
    At the end: iPad will be the only tablet left...beside junky Amazon Fire lol…
    I doubt that. The biggest market will likely still be the thousands(?) of no-name brands pushing out crappy Android-based tablet out of China.

I imagine it's much worse in countries that have a harder barrier to entry for quality HW, like the iPad.

edited March 2018
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Is it literally identical to last years model? 
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Still has only 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM!  Called Apple TS to make sure!  
  • Reply 7 of 27
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    Who cares, look at the scores! Most of the iPads don't have a lot of RAM, to begin with, and you can use a pencil now so looks good to me for a cheap iPad...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    My 11 year old grandson says that that's all he needs...   Everything works great!

(Translation:   If you need more, then pay more.  The iPad Pro has 4Gb)
    mwhitewatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 27
    My 11 year old grandson says that that's all he needs...   Everything works great!

(Translation:   If you need more, then pay more.  The iPad Pro has 4Gb)
    For general iPad users I'm recommended it to them. You can pay $309 today for an iPad that will suit your needs and better than the 4 year old model that several of the people asked me about.

One might argue that in a couple years they'll need one with more RAM due to updates. That's possible, but in a couple years there will likely be new iPads that are as powerful or more powerful than the 13" iPad Pro at around the same price point as the this new iPad. In any case that's less money upfront and a small TCO if Apple keeps this pattern going.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 27
    DonaldDuckoDonaldDucko Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple blew it again. It’s too expensive. Over $550 for the cellular model with a decent amount of ram is too expensive. You can buy any number of very good windows laptops for that or less. Would it be a tablet? No. So what. It would be a laptop and much more capable though bigger without the ackward way you have to hold it. Set the screen on a laptop and it’s good to go. Set an iPad down and well it falls flat on its face breaking the glass or falls backwards. 

Apple is in serious doo doo. I’m not sure why they’re worth what they are. They haven’t had a must have product in years and have been playing catch up for a good decade. New home speaker? Not as good as anyone else’s. New iPhone? Good, but it’s a thousand dollars and not really better than any other. The other iphones look the same. iPads to expensive. iMacs? AWOL. MacBooks? Too expensive. On and on.

Sooner or later people are going to wake up and say you know what this premium isn’t worth it. I don’t need the apple logo. I can buy a darn good phone for 1/2 the price. A tablet for 1/2 the price. A laptop for 1/3 the price. Personally I have been waiting and waiting for that next got to have it product and it hasn’t come yet. The Apple Watch was close, but honestly it’s useless. It’s just a gimmick. You don’t need it. Apple better start wowing us and innovating soon. 

And when the Chinese finally get serious watch out everyone. 
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 11 of 27
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Apple blew it again. It’s too expensive. Over $550 for the cellular model with a decent amount of ram is too expensive. You can buy any number of very good windows laptops for that or less. Would it be a tablet? No. So what. It would be a laptop and much more capable though bigger without the ackward way you have to hold it. Set the screen on a laptop and it’s good to go. Set an iPad down and well it falls flat on its face breaking the glass or falls backwards. 

Apple is in serious doo doo. I’m not sure why they’re worth what they are. They haven’t had a must have product in years and have been playing catch up for a good decade. New home speaker? Not as good as anyone else’s. New iPhone? Good, but it’s a thousand dollars and not really better than any other. The other iphones look the same. iPads to expensive. iMacs? AWOL. MacBooks? Too expensive. On and on.

Sooner or later people are going to wake up and say you know what this premium isn’t worth it. I don’t need the apple logo. I can buy a darn good phone for 1/2 the price. A tablet for 1/2 the price. A laptop for 1/3 the price. Personally I have been waiting and waiting for that next got to have it product and it hasn’t come yet. The Apple Watch was close, but honestly it’s useless. It’s just a gimmick. You don’t need it. Apple better start wowing us and innovating soon. 

Troll go away......
    GeorgeBMacapplepieguychiaericthehalfbeedhawkins541watto_cobraStrangeDays2old4fun
  • Reply 12 of 27
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    My 2017 10.5" iPad Pro remains an excellent device. I won't need a new iPad for years to come.
    GeorgeBMacjcs2305watto_cobraalbegarc
  • Reply 13 of 27
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    mwhite said:

Troll go away......
    Ahem!...April Fool?
    watto_cobra2old4funrandominternetperson
  • Reply 14 of 27
    bluefire1 said:
    My 2017 10.5" iPad Pro remains an excellent device. I won't need a new iPad for years to come.
    Yeh, buying Apple products -- for most non-rich people -- requires a long term strategy.   And that becomes increasingly true as they introduce new products.

Should I invest in a new iPhone?  A new Apple Watch?   A new iPad?   A new MacBook? ????

The decision includes considerations of your own needs, the state of your current products and Apple's product cycle.    Unless you have a ton of money, it takes a lot of strategy to do it the best way possible.

That is one of the reasons why I am grateful for ai:   The information they provide helps me to understand the current state of Apple products and where they are headed.
    watto_cobra2old4fun
  • Reply 15 of 27
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    mac_dog said:
    Is it literally identical to last years model? 
    No it has Pencil support 
    watto_cobra2old4fun
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Excellent video, Max. As usual!. :) 

Thanks for posting.

Best
    watto_cobra2old4fun
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Still not sure why Apple charges so much for LTE and memory. They need to get more aggressive in their pricing.

since I have the big iPad Pro, I’ll keep what I have. Would have loved an up to date iPad Mini with LTE.

BTW- we are 1/4th through 2018 and no update for the Mac mini and no Mac Pro. For a company with the financial and human resources Apple has, they should be able to walk (take care of iOS & devices) and chew gun (macOS and devices) at the same time.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member

Seriously ?  Then you circled back and “liked” your own BS post. Hahaha April Fools !  This must be a joke. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Stop obsessing over RAM. The RAM becomes less important as faster SSDs are approaching to the speed of RAM. RAM is used only for data that needs to be rapidly accessed, read, and written. We will NOT see doubling of RAM as quickly as it used to be because of SSD. When we had HDD, we definitely needed a lot of RAM because HDD was too slow for access. Again, let me emphasize that RAM requirements are not as crucial as it would be with HDD as long as you use high speed SSD.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays2old4funrandominternetpersonjcs2305
  • Reply 20 of 27
    netrox said:
    Stop obsessing over RAM. The RAM becomes less important as faster SSDs are approaching to the speed of RAM. RAM is used only for data that needs to be rapidly accessed, read, and written. We will NOT see doubling of RAM as quickly as it used to be because of SSD. When we had HDD, we definitely needed a lot of RAM because HDD was too slow for access. Again, let me emphasize that RAM requirements are not as crucial as it would be with HDD as long as you use high speed SSD.
    I agree with you about the importance of ever faster SSDs, but we’d see a slowing of RAM doubling simply because of exponential growth is both unsustainable and not needed for RAM.
    2old4fun