watchOS 4.3 update for Apple Watch arrives with new portrait Nightstand mode, iPhone music...

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple on Thursday released watchOS 4.3 for the Apple Watch, giving the wearable device new features like a portrait Nightstand mode and aesthetic user interface changes, along with the return of the previously-removed ability to browse an iPhone music catalog.

The final public release of watchOS 4.3 follows after six beta builds were issued to public testers and developers, and almost two weeks after the most recent beta shipped for testing.

Initially Apple Watch users will see smaller changes to the appearance of watchOS with refreshed system graphics and other convenience functions, including a new battery charging animation. Users who charge the Apple Watch on a vertical stand can use a new portrait view of Nightstand, showing the display in the correct orientation.

Appearing to largely consist of smaller improvements, there is one standout feature that has arrived in the new firmware, one that was removed with watchOS 4 last September. The update once again allows users to look through the music catalog located on a connected iPhone.

The reinstated controls, seen in the first watchOS 4.3 beta, allow users to access, browse, and control playback of the iPhone's music library. The controls also let users "love" and "dislike" songs, delete tracks, and route audio to AirPlay devices.

The update to watchOS 4.3 can be installed via the Apple Watch app for iPhone.

The previous update to watchOS, which brought it up to version 4.2, enabled support for Apple Pay Cash. The update allowed users to quickly authorize and send payments using the facility directly from their wrist, without needing to use an iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Wondering if this update will impact battery life at all.  One of the 4.2.x updates cut the battery life on my S0 almost in half somehow.  I used to get 2 days before charging - now I have maybe 15% left at the end of day 1.  Really weird.  Love the updates otherwise
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    Will the portrait nightstand mode work with the watch laying flat, like on an AirPower mat?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    robjn said:
    Will the portrait nightstand mode work with the watch laying flat, like on an AirPower mat?
    I wouldn't imagine so.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    The iPhone music feature is cool. It plays on the iPhone not through BT headphones like the previous version did.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    mavemufc said:
    robjn said:
    I wouldn't imagine so.
    I'm pretty sure it does. Why wouldn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Wondering if this update will impact battery life at all.  One of the 4.2.x updates cut the battery life on my S0 almost in half somehow.  I used to get 2 days before charging - now I have maybe 15% left at the end of day 1.  Really weird.  Love the updates otherwise
    I still get over 2 days with my Series 2: you might check settings, sometimes system updates or randomness turns on something that then sits in the background sucking power. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JFC_PA said:
    I still get over 2 days with my Series 2: you might check settings, sometimes system updates or randomness turns on something that then sits in the background sucking power. 
    Quite annoying to me with pre-4.3 versions is that turning off WiFi doesn't stick. Given I keep my iPhone in my pocket 95% of the time (the remaining I turn on cellular), I don't need/want any battery drain from WiFi. Yes, this behavior matches iPhone's control panel. But unlike the iPhone, there is no Settings page (on the watch nor the iPhone watch app) to permanently disable WiFi.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    JFC_PA said:
    Quite annoying to me with pre-4.3 versions is that turning off WiFi doesn't stick. Given I keep my iPhone in my pocket 95% of the time (the remaining I turn on cellular), I don't need/want any battery drain from WiFi. Yes, this behavior matches iPhone's control panel. But unlike the iPhone, there is no Settings page (on the watch nor the iPhone watch app) to permanently disable WiFi.
    You shouldn't want to permanently disable WiFi. Your Watch uses WiFi to communicate with your iPhone when Bluetooth doesn't work or is out of range etc., otherwise it uses Bluetooth to conserve energy automatically. Also even when your iPhone is off/dead/disconnected/etc, it allows your Watch to do all sorts of stuff without passing through the iPhone such as messaging, Siri, so forth. Why would you purposely diminish the experience by manually turning off its ability to function properly?
    edited March 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I’m able to browse my iPhone music library once again...hallelujah! I reckon they initially removed that functionality to get more people to subscribe to Apple Music. Luckily that rouse didn’t work. I have no need or desire to subscribe to yet another streaming service, whatever it may be. Netflix is enough!
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 10 of 13
    JFC_PA said:
    You shouldn't want to permanently disable WiFi. Your Watch uses WiFi to communicate with your iPhone when Bluetooth doesn't work or is out of range etc., otherwise it uses Bluetooth to conserve energy automatically. Also even when your iPhone is off/dead/disconnected/etc, it allows your Watch to do all sorts of stuff without passing through the iPhone such as messaging, Siri, so forth. Why would you purposely diminish the experience by manually turning off its ability to function properly?
    Mainly to prolong battery life. Now that I've turned on cellular service, the only times my watch is out of iPhone BlueTooth range is when I'm working out (only time cellular is on, BlueTooth headset), I'm asleep with the iPhone charging in another room (still in BlueTooth marginal range), or my watch is charging.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    JFC_PA said:
    Mainly to prolong battery life. Now that I've turned on cellular service, the only times my watch is out of iPhone BlueTooth range is when I'm working out (only time cellular is on, BlueTooth headset), I'm asleep with the iPhone charging in another room (still in BlueTooth marginal range), or my watch is charging.
    In which cases the Watch already defaults to Bluetooth and not WiFi in order to save battery without you having to do anything. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    eu4iaeu4ia Posts: 1member
    I downloaded the new 4.3 update and read the improvements.  So the time will now display via a night stand display when turned on it's side.  Tried it.  It works.  Looks great.  Looking forward now to glancing to IT on my desktop when I want to know the time.  Oh No!  After 15 seconds it TURNS OFF!  Researching this tells me I can extend the time displayed to 70 seconds.  Why is there a 70 second upper limit?  The watch is attached to the charger!  Let it stay on the ENTIRE TIME it is on it's side and charging!  I want to read it without having to reach out and nudge it!  You need another update Apple!
  • Reply 13 of 13
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    eu4ia said:
    I downloaded the new 4.3 update and read the improvements.  So the time will now display via a night stand display when turned on it's side.  Tried it.  It works.  Looks great.  Looking forward now to glancing to IT on my desktop when I want to know the time.  Oh No!  After 15 seconds it TURNS OFF!  Researching this tells me I can extend the time displayed to 70 seconds.  Why is there a 70 second upper limit?  The watch is attached to the charger!  Let it stay on the ENTIRE TIME it is on it's side and charging!  I want to read it without having to reach out and nudge it!  You need another update Apple!
    The nightstand mode has been there for years. New is that it there is an upright mode, too, not just one when it’s on its side. 

OLEDs that are constantly on will tend to burn in.