Surprise! Spotify now says its Weeknd debut beat out Apple Music

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    mavemufc said:
    So streams of an artist that isn’t so relevant anymore are big news?

reaching for anything I guess. 
    The Weeknd is definitely relevant.
    Meh, never heard of this person/band before in my life.  But I'm old, being in the 35-46 demographic.  
  • Reply 22 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    airnerd said:
    Could I listen to it on Spotify without paying for Spotify service?  Because I know everyone listing on Apple Music paid to listen to it.  
    There's a free introductory for Apple Music AFAIK, I thought a fairly lengthy 3 months but maybe not. Anyway tho point made, most Apple Music listeners are paying for it directly. On Spotify some artists/music owners are paid in ad revenues rather than direct subscription. They're still paid. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    adm1 said:
    Anyone else see the irony in the comments here? If any report or publication criticises Apple, people call for Apple to correct them and set them straight. Suddenly when a report puts Apple ahead, only for Spotify to correct it, it's a negative thing? :confused: 
    There is no irony, find a dictionary and read what we wrote.

Spotify did no such thing, they obfuscated. Why should I believe their numbers? 
    At most, the numbers are in dispute.
    randominternetpersonmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Soooo... let me get that straight... We got a record label who just got the final tally on how many views happened on two major services. This number is actually relevant, as they are getting paid for each view, since they are the provider of the actual music and music videos. The artist gets paid by how successful this act is, and the final paycheck is equivalent to that number in there.

So, that record label gets the tally, and omgwtfbbqit ponies dieing, there's more views on Apple iTMS than Spotify! They announce this, saying they got more from Apple than Spotify.

Then, Spotify miraculously finds more than 90% additional views, days after, and Spotify (not the record label) flaunts that number saying omg we are much better!

We wouldn't presume Spotify would actually downball these numbers in order to pay less of the share to the record label, and, by extension, to the artist, aren't we? Like any artist would get approximately 50% of what they are supposed to actually get? Naaaahhh that must be unintentional!

But seriously, if they can "find" these so easily, that raises a huge question on how they actually tally these numbers, and as an artist, that would put a definite strain on that warm happy feeling of knowing you're in good hands. That's probably enough for asking an independent inquiry on grounds of potential breach of contract.
    docno42randominternetpersonmagman1979cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    I have said this over abd over again: if Apple wants to make a killing in the medica business, all it has to do is set up a comprehensive monthly sunscription service for all of their media: Apple Music, itunes, IBooks.  The consumer would pay a monthly fee that would give them an overall discount on these products and allow them to access music, tv, movies and books for one flat fee. Just like Apple Music, you can use it all as long as you are a subscriber. Apple need not fight over money with the entetainers, publishers or corporate networks and studios: it can continue to pay thier fees, absorb the costs and it would be easily offet by millions of new subscribers.  Spotify, Amazon, and others would then have to compete financially, and in that arena Apple wins hands down.  Not a bad way to use a portion of the great tax windall they will be reaping.  And i say this as an investor and extensive user of Apple products.  Who in their right mind would not want get access to all of these products at a discount, especially Apple users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Apple Music 99% of the subscribers are using the service specifically on an Apple device or through itunes. Spotify, available on all devices and computers.

To be off my a few million is nothing when you compare the amount of devices a service is available on. 
    Huh?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.android.music&hl=en

Yeah, Apple Music may not be native on edge devices like Roku's, Tivo's, etc. but it's on the bulk of devices where the majority of mainstream users are. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 27 of 29
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    ABiteaDay said:
    I have said this over abd over again: if Apple wants to make a killing in the medica business, all it has to do is set up a comprehensive monthly sunscription service for all of their media: Apple Music, itunes, IBooks. .
    lol - and if Apple owned the rights to all that media I'm sure they would do so in a heartbeat.  The movie guys are far more conservative than the music people were - aint gonna happen.

Heck go search around on the whole MoviePass fiasco for an "all you can eat" movie model with the machinations (advertising, selling user data, arbitrary restrictions to play hardball with studios/movie chains, etc.) they are using to make it profitable.  And that's just for film in theaters; forget discussions about back catalogs.

As for music, it was more an accident than anything else that iTunes and digital music ever happened.  If Apple hadn't started iTunes when they did I shudder to think where things would be today.  It truly was a unique nexus of where the the music industry was and Apple's perceived niche status at the time that let it happen.  There's no way it would have gone down the same way if Apple had been bigger or more influential and I have no doubt the music industry would be in a much worse place.  

Movies and books are an entirely different kettle of fish and have entirely different dynamics.  Prioritizing ease of consumption by you is not first and foremost on any of their minds, that's for sure. 
    randominternetpersoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    docno42 said:
    ABiteaDay said:
    I have said this over abd over again: if Apple wants to make a killing in the medica business, all it has to do is set up a comprehensive monthly sunscription service for all of their media: Apple Music, itunes, IBooks. .
    lol - and if Apple owned the rights to all that media I'm sure they would do so in a heartbeat.  The movie guys are far more conservative than the music people were - aint gonna happen.

Heck go search around on the whole MoviePass fiasco for an "all you can eat" movie model with the machinations (advertising, selling user data, arbitrary restrictions to play hardball with studios/movie chains, etc.) they are using to make it profitable.  And that's just for film in theaters; forget discussions about back catalogs.

As for music, it was more an accident than anything else that iTunes and digital music ever happened.  If Apple hadn't started iTunes when they did I shudder to think where things would be today.  It truly was a unique nexus of where the the music industry was and Apple's perceived niche status at the time that let it happen.  There's no way it would have gone down the same way if Apple had been bigger or more influential and I have no doubt the music industry would be in a much worse place.  

Movies and books are an entirely different kettle of fish and have entirely different dynamics.  Prioritizing ease of consumption by you is not first and foremost on any of their minds, that's for sure. 
    Agree with everything you said, plus toss in the inevitable anti-trust objections Apple would face.
    cornchipwatto_cobradocno42