Final Cut Pro X update brings ProRes RAW format, improved closed captioning

Posted:
in Mac Software edited April 2018
Apple has introduced a new update coming April 9 to Final Cut Pro X, with version 10.4.1 introducing ProRes RAW, combining the visual and workflow benefits of RAW video with the performance of ProRes.

ProRes RAW is a new format from Apple that offers the quality and workflow advantages of RAW coupled with the performance of ProRes. With ProRes RAW, editors can import, edit and grade footage with RAW data from the camera sensor, making it ideal for HDR workflows.

Editors can also play full-quality 4K ProRes RAW files on 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro and 2017 iMac systems in real time without rendering. ProRes RAW files are even smaller than ProRes 4444 files, allowing for better use of storage while providing a format for archiving.

Final Cut Pro editors can work natively with ProRes RAW and ProRes RAW HQ files created by Atomos recorders. The format will be available as a free update for owners of Atomos Sumo 19 and Shogun Inferno devices.

The format will also be available as part of a forthcoming upgrade package to users of the DJI Inspire 2 drone and Zenmuse X7 Super 35mm camera system designed for aerial cinematography.

Closed captioning

Also added to the update are improved closed captioning tools. Users can import closed caption files directly into their project or create them from scratch. Captions appear in the viewer during playback and can be attached to video or audio clips in the timeline.

A new captions inspector makes it simple to adjust caption text, color, alignment, and location. Captions can be created in multiple languages within the same timeline and easily share captioned videos to YouTube and Vimeo.

The 10.4 update to Final Cut Pro X was made available on Dec. 14, with new features including editing full-resolution 8K video, and extension of 360-degree VR video support to Motion and Compressor. The new version of Final Cut Pro X requires macOS 10.12.4.

Final Cut Pro 10.4.1 will be available on April 9 as a free update for existing users, and for $299.99 for new users on the Mac App Store. Motion 5.4.1 and Compressor 4.4.1 will also be available on April 9 as free updates for existing users, and for $49.99 each for new users on the Mac App Store.

Apple's educational bundle is also available containing Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Compressor for $199.99

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It is pretty awesome that every update is free and apparently for life.  That's the massive benefit of Apple being both hardware and software.
    bshank
  • Reply 2 of 7
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    MacPro said:
    It is pretty awesome that every update is free and apparently for life.  That's the massive benefit of Apple being both hardware and software.
    Agreed. With the monthly subscription cost of Adobe Premiere, and the extensive features of Final Cut Pro its a no brainer!
    bshank
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I wonder what kind of compressed raw this will be. RED's strength has been their wavelet compression that Graham came up with 10 years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I wonder what kind of compressed raw this will be. RED's strength has been their wavelet compression that Graham came up with 10 years ago.
    Back when I was buying gear to produce TV shows for ESPN (pre HD I should add)  I looked closely at the new kid on the block 'wavelet compression'.  Compared to Avid and Media 100 it promised real time speed way beyond the rival system but the quality sucked and it never seemed to make off that I observed.  I have no idea RED had standardized on it.  Was it some drastic change from the original back in the day of what was it called ... The Cube rings a bell but I could be wrong.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Hmmmmm, I'm seeing info saying since Prores is DCT (Discreet Cosine Transform) compression, maybe this is? That would be hard to believe. 

• Reply 6 of 7
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Red RAW wavelet quality is solid but it always heavily taxed my Mac Pro and iMac performance. I never could get full quality and full frame rates in my FCPX timeline at the same time. I've since switched to Blackmagic cameras shooting 4.6K and Prores HQ. They look great and has never dropped a frame yet so I'm really excited about this RAW codec from Apple. Considering how the industry got behind Prores, this could be huge.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Hmmmmm, I'm seeing info saying since Prores is DCT (Discreet Cosine Transform) compression, maybe this is? That would be hard to believe. 

I worked in the Hollywood TV post production industry. DCT has been a high quality post format (Ampex Digital VTRs) since then 90s. Many shows had their film dailies transfered as low contrast to DCT tape, then the DCT tape was used to conform and color correct rather than cutting a match negative from the original film. The quality was high enough for studios to accept this workflow.