Apple modular Mac Pro launch coming in 2019, new engineering group formed to guarantee fut...

Comments

• Reply 81 of 269
    Talk abut slow training crawling geez.
    Read all about it!! 
    Apple is releasing a computer in about 20 months.

Get rid of little timmy cookie and his slow motion minions.

Bring back the Guy and let the good times roll again!

• Reply 82 of 269
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So I guess is the new joke is ‘how many years does it take Apple to change a lightbulb?”

The other takeaway is that the meeting where they leaked the Black iMac was a ruse to quell discontent among the screwed over Mac Pro user base. Apparently they were hoping the hopped up iMac would shut people up- they had nothing if they are just now hiring.

Other than EFI, there is not a whole lot of difference between any whitebox PC and a Mac. We do not need Jony’s Stylings or some modular thing with proprietary connectivity that locks us into a dungeon of Apple’s capricious and fickle product plans. An updated Cheesegrater would be just fine- something capable of using standard cards, memory, etc.

l would be willing to bet that if Apple asked H-P to market a Mac version of it’s workstations they could have product ready to ship before WWDC. Apple needs to decide if they want to make computers or just be a lifestyle brand selling phones.
    You think the only thing the ID team at Apple does is styling? Please.
  • Reply 83 of 269
    MacPro said:
    All good news except the delay, I was really hoping for this year. Better late than never though.  Apple should include a software division in the Pro group and move all the pro apps under that group's control. 'Hardware and Software' developed together is Apple's mantra after all.

Perhaps even rehire the Aperture team? / sigh
    What delay? They never said it would ship in 2018. That was projected on them by bloggers. Lol
  • Reply 84 of 269
    So does 2019 mean Q1 or Q4?
    I’d guess they’re targeting WWDC.
  • Reply 85 of 269
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So does 2019 mean Q1 or Q4?
    I’d guess they’re targeting WWDC.
    Maybe, but I seem to recall the last Mac Pro was released in the Winter. Historically, with their high-end workstations they announce and demo with a long lead time before they actually release them.
  • Reply 86 of 269
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    I didn’t like that narrative... “Not this year”, “understanding from soup to nuts” [still?], “internal workflows with real content” sound like bla bla bla to my ears.

Long live iMac Pro.
    tht said:
    Those quotes from Apple sound horrible. They should have just said the Mac Pro will be available in 2019, and left out these weird statements or rationale, which sound devoid of sense to me. Designing for workflows? That’s what drove them down the 2013 Mac Pro route.
    So it wasn't just me then. Was that rambling nonsense an example of what happens when a marketing drone has nothing to spin?

Still. I'm very, very, happy to see Apple opening up a little on the communication side, allowing corporate and institutional customers some fodder for planning.
    muthuk_vanalingamargonaut
  • Reply 87 of 269
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Will it take them to 2019 to give the mini a decent bump too? I have 4 x 2011 i7 server models waiting for an upgrade. It gets a little bit tiresome to scour e-bay for used 2011/2012 server configs.
    I suspect that the Mini is dead!    I recently went with an HP Envy note book because of Apples total disregard for their customers.  The lack of Mini upgrades or for that matter proper configurations is just part ofvthe evidence that says Apple doesnt give a f$@&.   

Think about it who in their right mind would even buy a Mini now?   To keep this product on the market at its current list price just tells me Apple has no respect for its customers.  What is even worse is that the current Mini was junk the day it was delivered!    You are looking at basically 8 years of outdated or crap Minis.  

What is frustrating here is that i wanted to be an Apple customer.   On the other hand i dont want to be screwed over by Apple either.   Their inability to correct the mistakes made with the Mini and other issues, has me running Linux on an HP!    I do believe that there are more than a few idiots managing the Mac line up and this message just highlights how out of touch they are.    Apple really needs to work on customer relations or they will find themselves with very few customers.  

I going to suggest that in your case you should ask yourself if you even need to run Apple hardware!    
  • Reply 88 of 269
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    I am guessing they need a lot of time to figure out how to integrate their ARM chip in Mactels for maximum support and performance. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 89 of 269

wizard69 said:

What is really interesting here is all the focus on performance testing.   If this was an Intel platform  performance would be limited by the Intel supplied chips. In otherwords not much they can control performance wise.   This makes me wonder if the machine will be one if the rumored ARM based machines.

Nope. It's about finding problems that don't show up in benchmarks, like this:

“These aren’t necessarily always fundamental performance issues,” notes Ternus. “These aren’t things that you’d find in a benchmark or an automated test flow. You know we have examples where we find something… like it’s a window that a 3D animator uses frequently to make some fine tweaks. The windows are not super graphically intensive in terms of processing and stewing but we have found an issue where that window was taking like 6 to 10 seconds to open and they’re doing that 100 times a day, right? Like ‘I can’t work on a machine like this, it’s too slow,’ so we dig in and we figure out what it was.

“In that case we found something in the graphics driver was not right, and once you know where to look and you fix it, it completely changes the kind of live-on-ability for that system — the productivity for that user completely changed.”

fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 90 of 269
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    ben2020 said:
    Considering the state of other Macs they've released in recent years, such as the non-upgradeable iMac Pro and the MacBook 14,1 that has an over 10% failure rate of USB-C ports (at least in my experience) with John Ternus running things in hardware I wouldn't get my hopes up that Macs are going to get any better anytime soon.  I bet even this year's base model iMac will STILL have a 5400rpm laptop hard drive, which is just insane penny pinching and cost cutting in 2018 but what else would you expect from Tim Crook? 

Post-2015 Apple - Destroying Steve Jobs' Mac legacy one Mac at a time.
    I do have service data. USB-C failure rate is consistent with USB-A failure rate, if not a bit less.
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 91 of 269
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    All Apple has to do for modularity is look at the gamer's built PC industry!  They been doing this for at least 7 years and counting!  If Apple want to be cheap and be standardized.  But know Apple, everything will be proprietary and can only be purchased through Apple for the most profit.
    For the most efficiency, not most profit.  Apple doesn't care to be cheap! They care to make the best products on their class.

If you want cheap go with windows and get what you paid for.
    I think you are completely ignorant on the gaming PC and cutting edge machines and components.  It make s a Mac Pro look like a beginner's gaming PC in comparison.  Apple always uses the upper tier GPU engine that already a year old in their new top line machines!  Apple never use the most high end graphics card because to expensive and they cannot get a good price on them because of the demand. LOL!
    Apple's GPU choice has little to do with cost. It's about control. They have a good relationship with AMD who gives them more access to the metal. Nvidia doesn't play as well with Apple.
  • Reply 92 of 269
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Talk abut slow training crawling geez.
    Read all about it!! 
    Apple is releasing a computer in about 20 months.

Get rid of little timmy cookie and his slow motion minions.

Bring back the Guy and let the good times roll again!

Stop spamming the forums. If you have something useful to say, say it. 

One more time with this juvenile outburst, and you're done.
    edited April 2018 Solieightzerofastasleeppscooter63roundaboutnowmacseekermacxpress
  • Reply 93 of 269
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

NanoFrog said:
    "Tiny % of market"...could this be because Apple is CLUELESS and makes a foolish "pro" machine that is a joke. The Mac Pro was/is nothing, that is why sales are so minimal. NOW they have a "pro" dev team? This is an admission that they have cared nothing for pro users and pro systems, a bald admission really. Chumps can't make a great computer. Apple is the iphone company, like most corporate grifters they go only where the easy cash is. Apple, particularly Apple under Cook, has become almost nothing. Burned out, over-rated, drenched in sloth. This is a monkey butt situation.
    You have it completely backwards. Commodity PCs are the easy cash. That's why everyone else does them. That's also why Apple has little interest in them. Unfortunately, a small but influential group of Apple customers are still professionals that require fast computers. As of late, Apple has been struggling to figure out the desktop market they want to create for their majority of users and this can sometimes contradict with the needs of their smaller but vocal group of pro customers.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 94 of 269
    macxpress said:
    So I guess is the new joke is ‘how many years does it take Apple to change a lightbulb?”

The other takeaway is that the meeting where they leaked the Black iMac was a ruse to quell discontent among the screwed over Mac Pro user base. Apparently they were hoping the hopped up iMac would shut people up- they had nothing if they are just now hiring.

Other than EFI, there is not a whole lot of difference between any whitebox PC and a Mac. We do not need Jony’s Stylings or some modular thing with proprietary connectivity that locks us into a dungeon of Apple’s capricious and fickle product plans. An updated Cheesegrater would be just fine- something capable of using standard cards, memory, etc.

l would be willing to bet that if Apple asked H-P to market a Mac version of it’s workstations they could have product ready to ship before WWDC. Apple needs to decide if they want to make computers or just be a lifestyle brand selling phones.
    Man you love dreaming up nonsense conspiracies. So you think the iMP just popped out of a clamshell, fully formed? Yeah no. It’s a killer workstation with an all new internal thermal design and it too took time to produce. 
    But but...you can make a DIY PC in about 30 minutes on PC Part Picker for half the price and just as powerful, if not more! So why does it take Apple 2yrs to design a Mac? /s

The only real joke is the content of his posts...
    Actually it is a very rational question!   Designing Xeon based PCs is a well established practice.   If apple keeps slipping and falling there must be something wrong at Apple.  It strikes me as a project that has restarted many times due to the lack of direction and no solud design parameters.   Either that or they are working with totally new non Xeon hardware.  
  • Reply 95 of 269
    onepotato said:
    God, I hope Jony doesn't have any input into the design of this machine. Otherwise we'll be seeing something that looks pretty and is totally unfit for pro use.
    Er, but what about all his other products that people love? The cheese grater is amazing, the iMac is amazing, the MBP, etc... 
    The iMac is irrefutably absurd. Ive sacrificed thermal performance and drive accessibility to achieve an utterly pointless objective: thinness in a device that realizes absolutely zero benefit from being thin, at a point where the user is not even able to perceive it!

It's a great product and sells very well, but let's not dress it up with any Emperor's Clothes bullshit about Jony's infallibility. Sometimes his decisions are awesome, other times they're just goofy.
    bitmod
  • Reply 96 of 269

wizard69 said:

What is really interesting here is all the focus on performance testing.   If this was an Intel platform  performance would be limited by the Intel supplied chips. In otherwords not much they can control performance wise.   This makes me wonder if the machine will be one if the rumored ARM based machines.

Nope. It's about finding problems that don't show up in benchmarks, like this:

“These aren’t necessarily always fundamental performance issues,” notes Ternus. “These aren’t things that you’d find in a benchmark or an automated test flow. You know we have examples where we find something… like it’s a window that a 3D animator uses frequently to make some fine tweaks. The windows are not super graphically intensive in terms of processing and stewing but we have found an issue where that window was taking like 6 to 10 seconds to open and they’re doing that 100 times a day, right? Like ‘I can’t work on a machine like this, it’s too slow,’ so we dig in and we figure out what it was.

“In that case we found something in the graphics driver was not right, and once you know where to look and you fix it, it completely changes the kind of live-on-ability for that system — the productivity for that user completely changed.”

That is general OS maintenace that has little to do with the new machine hardware.  
  • Reply 97 of 269
    onepotato said:
    God, I hope Jony doesn't have any input into the design of this machine. Otherwise we'll be seeing something that looks pretty and is totally unfit for pro use.
    Er, but what about all his other products that people love? The cheese grater is amazing, the iMac is amazing, the MBP, etc... 
    The iMac is irrefutably absurd. Ive sacrificed thermal performance and drive accessibility to achieve an utterly pointless objective: thinness in a device that realizes absolutely zero benefit from being thin, at a point where the user is not even able to perceive it!
    If it reduces weight and volume which in turn allows for Apple to reduce shipping and storage costs how you can say that's "an utterly pointless objective" for Apple? Even excluding utility, if the tapered edges are more attractive to buyers thereby increasing overall sales how can you say that's "an utterly pointless objective" for Apple. It's not about you. It's never about you. It's always about Apple's aggregate user base in terms of how much money a product can generate for the them.
    pscooter63argonautwonkothesanemacxpress
  • Reply 98 of 269
    Before i leave this thread for awhile one thing poped into my mind.   What if the problem isnt with the Xeon implementation but with a new Apple descreet GPU designed to support the latest trends?    That would better explain the long stretch of time to deliver yet another Xeon box.  
  • Reply 99 of 269

tipoo said:
    "Throughout, the idea of modularity was omnipresent. An iMac Pro with two iPad Pros hooked up to it allows for direct control, shortcuts and live access to the Logic manual all while you’re mixing a song on the main device. "

Uh wait, you can do that? If not...Why not?! I always wanted tighter integration to use iPads to make Macs better. 
    Likewise. Also, the bigger point is being missed by Apple here... people want touchscreen capability on their displays!
    Yeah no. 
    Uh, yeah, yes.

Lemme guess, you were among those who argued Apple will never offer a stylus for the iPad, right?

Apple is glacially slow to grasp the obvious, but the benefits of touch are too obvious for even Apple to ignore forever, even if you can.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 100 of 269
    wizard69 said:
    Before i leave this thread for awhile one thing poped into my mind.   What if the problem isnt with the Xeon implementation but with a new Apple descreet GPU designed to support the latest trends?    That would better explain the long stretch of time to deliver yet another Xeon box.  
    I don't why anyone would think it's a problem with Xeon at all. There are countless other complexities in PC that far exceed the engineering hurdles of creating a sock for an Intel chip.