An untapped market...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, I don?t know if this has been brought up before? so please forgive me if I?m rehashing an old idea?

How much sense do you think it would make if Apple made a Blackberry type of device. It seems as if this is the direction that handhelds are going: A very simple product for communication and simple organization that does not require an individual to have a particular OS. Of course, Apple could write an application that would simplify the transfer of information from his/her computer to the device.

Because this market is pretty new, Apple could take existing ideas and expand on them. Using the iPod form factor, apple could do away with the scroll wheel and add a very small keyboard ala the Blackberry and Visor Treo. The iPod screen seems more than capable of displaying all the information to send/receive mail as well as tap into existing wireless networks in order to be used as a hybrid cell phone similar to the new Blackberry.

The design of the product would set it apart from existing hardware on the market today and add to Apple's consumer product lineup; thus, ensuring Apples strategy to have everyone own an Apple product.

This product seems more likely than to develop a camera or similar type of device from scratch, as they would have to play catch-up to various manufacturers like Sony and Canon who have been offering these products for years.

This is a new market with potential to be the next great thing.

What do you people think?

PS. I love mock-ups, so if anyone has some skill, please please please post some pics. Thanks everyone.

PPS. Dont forget motorola's attempt to bring handheld "email" to the masses with it's two way pager.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I think this would work if the screen kinda popped out and tilted up from the longest sides using the iPod form factor so the shorter sides (currently top and bottom on the iPod) would be where you would hold it from). kinda like the current blackberry pagers... BUT I dont think apple will do this because they just arnt all that necssary right now and dont fit into the idea of a digital hub...
  • Reply 2 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Small keyboards = evil. Look at the iPod: Apple designed a dead simple interface that you can use with the thumb of the hand you're holding it in. Tiny keyboards are painful to use, so I don't see Apple going there until they can find a comfortable and intuitive alternative. A good HWR system would be preferable (because although handwriting is slower than typing on a full sized keyboard, it's a lot faster and less painful than pecking away at a tiny keyboard), and the iPod's dual-processor setup is actually well-suited to that: One processor can be dedicated to running the OS and state of the art HWR software, while the other runs the rest of the applications. If something like that ever happens, I don't think it'll heppen for a while.

I actually don't see the camera as so much of a problem: Apple doesn't need to get into optics, they just have to partner with someone who's already there. Kodak, or Nicon, or Canon, or Olympus, or whoever. That's what they did last time. (That doesn't mean that I'm convinced that it's a good idea for Apple to go there, though. They've been there and done that, and paid for it.)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    warpdwarpd Posts: 204member
    <a href="http://www.danger.com"; target="_blank">HERE!!</a>

It's being done, oh, and WOZ is a member of the board!!
  • Reply 4 of 17
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by warpd:

<strong><a href="http://www.danger.com"; target="_blank">HERE!!</a>

It's being done, oh, and WOZ is a member of the board!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

thats what i was looking for but I couldnt rememebr the name
  • Reply 5 of 17
    metacommetacom Posts: 32member
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

thats what i was looking for but I couldnt rememebr the name</strong><hr></blockquote>

It totally forgot about this product. The Sacramento Bee did a story about it a little while ago.

Regarding the keyboard: I dont think that pen input would be a viable option with such a small screen. And the inclusion of an additonal product (the pen) may result in the complication of worrying about losing it... as well as trying to input information with one hand. The mini keyboard has proven itself as a successful form of input for small devices. This makes the product all in one, self contained, and easy to handle in a limited space. Imagine having to operate a cellphone with a pen... what a hassle.

Partners: The fact that this market is new, Apple would not need to depend on another manufacturer of similar devices in order to make a successful product. They can take a whole new approach to the device as Danger Inc. has.

In order to make it different, Apple could include a color screen of some sort with aesthetically pleasing Icons. After looking at the blackberry and handspring devices, one notices that the interface is as simple as can be... as well as boring. Apple could "one-up" these devices by putting more emphasis into the icons and the fluidity of the interface. I know that resources may be hampered by this, but the simplicity of the standard operations may make up for it.

Danger Inc. seems to have something special. I hope that Apple recognizes the possibilites of this kind of product.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Apple could make a handheld device that will check email wirelessly and read yuour handwriting for a response. It's possible, even feasible. Using Apple's knowledge of Newton and iPod and Airport and maybe a little stealing from Blackberry in the form of long-dtiistance data transfer.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Apple is not going to make a handheld computer. They won't return to the Newton. It was Scully's baby, and His Steveness hates Scully, so... No more handhelds.

Which is a shame, really-- the Newton was (and still is) the best handheld out there.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the point of palms and handhelds.

I picked up one once and was looking at it. I tried to figure out what is the purpose? To take notes? It is a pain in the *** to write into it, I could just carry around a small notepad to write on, but I have never really found a time where I just got a note I had to write down where I was standing.

A contact manager? My cell phone has all the phone numbers I need in it, plus it is easier to keep them in my phone, because then I select it and it dials. I don't need to grab my pda, look up the phone number, then type it in my phone, and put away my pda. It seems stupid to me.

Todo list/Calander? My todo list is in my head, what I need to do each day, I usually think about in the shower, and I have it planned out. It seems odd to me to pull out a pda just to see what I am doing today. I have a calander on my wall, with my appointments on it. I guess that the pda could hold this data instead, but like I said above, I find it a pain to write the info into my pda, it is easier to just write it on my wall calendar.

I have my cell phone to make calls on. I have my mp3 player to listen to music to. I have my wall calander for my appointments.

So what is the "killer feature" of a pda? I have never been able to get a straight answer on the purpose of owning one.

Thanks,

Ben
  • Reply 9 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by kupan787:

<strong>Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the point of palms and handhelds.

I picked up one once and was looking at it. I tried to figure out what is the purpose? To take notes? It is a pain in the *** to write into it, I could just carry around a small notepad to write on, but I have never really found a time where I just got a note I had to write down where I was standing.

A contact manager? My cell phone has all the phone numbers I need in it, plus it is easier to keep them in my phone, because then I select it and it dials. I don't need to grab my pda, look up the phone number, then type it in my phone, and put away my pda. It seems stupid to me.

Todo list/Calander? My todo list is in my head, what I need to do each day, I usually think about in the shower, and I have it planned out. It seems odd to me to pull out a pda just to see what I am doing today. I have a calander on my wall, with my appointments on it. I guess that the pda could hold this data instead, but like I said above, I find it a pain to write the info into my pda, it is easier to just write it on my wall calendar.

I have my cell phone to make calls on. I have my mp3 player to listen to music to. I have my wall calander for my appointments.

So what is the "killer feature" of a pda? I have never been able to get a straight answer on the purpose of owning one.

Thanks,

Ben</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eventually handhelds will combine all the basic features of the pda, cellphone, and computer. Say you want to check your email, make a phone call, and see what homework is due for the next week or so, birthdays coming up, dentist appointments, dates.. etc. Instead of pulling out your laptop, booting up, launching an email program, download new email, pulling out yet another device and making a phone call, you could pull this cool new device from your pocket and, because of it's always-on ability, see if any mail has come in, read it, respond if you want, then choose the phone feature and making a call. After the call... or during, if you're using a headset and not pressing the thing to your head, you can scroll over to your datebook and see what's going on for the next week, month, year... etc.

We have so many devices to do so many little tasks, why not make a device that can do it all?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    eric d.v.heric d.v.h Posts: 134member
    [quote]Originally posted by ?:

[QBEventually handhelds will combine all the basic features of the pda, cellphone, and computer. Say you want to check your email, make a phone call, and see what homework is due for the next week or so, birthdays coming up, dentist appointments, dates.. etc. Instead of pulling out your laptop, booting up, launching an email program, download new email, pulling out yet another device and making a phone call, you could pull this cool new device from your pocket and, because of it's always-on ability, see if any mail has come in, read it, respond if you want, then choose the phone feature and making a call. After the call... or during, if you're using a headset and not pressing the thing to your head, you can scroll over to your datebook and see what's going on for the next week, month, year... etc.

We have so many devices to do so many little tasks, why not make a device that can do it all?[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.nokiausa.com/communicator/"; target="_blank">Nokia</a> and <a href="http://www.sonyericssonmobile.com/us/spg.jsp?page=start&amp;Redir=template=PS1&B=ie%2 6PID%3D9494%26LM%3DPSM_V" target="_blank">Ericsson</a> already make such a device.

What if Apple were to make one?

Here's what I want:
    • integrated TV/FM/AM Tuner

• Tri or Dual StrongARM CPUs(One for main CPU work, one for graphics and one for IO/miscellaneous/audio

• Cellular data/fax/voice modem

• Full voice recognition

• Camera

• Folding LEP(Light Emitting Polymer) display like on the Apple Knowledge Navigator

• Flat panel speakers behind display

• Microphone

• Wacom-ish pressure sensitivity

• 32-Bit 96Khz audio in/out

• 24-Bit video in/out

• S/PDIF

• FireWire

• PCMCIA Zoomed Video Cardbus type II slot

• Optional slide on type III converter(Adds extra type II slot onto existing one)

• Either runs OS X or System 7

• Includes PPC emulator for StrongARM. StrongARM emulator for PPC also included on all PPCs

• Lithium polymer battery

• Case is covered with solar panels

After all. if your going to dream. dream big!

Eric,

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Eric D.V.H ]

[ 03-06-2002: Message edited by: Eric D.V.H ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 17
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    [quote]Originally posted by Metacom:

<strong>

Eventually handhelds will combine all the basic features of the pda, cellphone, and computer. Say you want to check your email, make a phone call, and see what homework is due for the next week or so, birthdays coming up, dentist appointments, dates.. etc. Instead of pulling out your laptop, booting up, launching an email program, download new email, pulling out yet another device and making a phone call, you could pull this cool new device from your pocket and, because of it's always-on ability, see if any mail has come in, read it, respond if you want, then choose the phone feature and making a call. After the call... or during, if you're using a headset and not pressing the thing to your head, you can scroll over to your datebook and see what's going on for the next week, month, year... etc.

We have so many devices to do so many little tasks, why not make a device that can do it all?</strong><hr></blockquote>

So basicly, right now handhelds suck you are saying, and current handhelds have no real purpose/killer function?

And you are also basicly saying that people want a laptop that will fit in your hand, and do everything it would normally do, plus phone (and tv as some one mentioned above)? Checking email and surfing the internet on a 3 inch screen (or whatever it is) doesn't sound fun. Plus with all the flash content, quicktime movies, and such, could a pda that small ever be able to do it?

I guess I just don't get it. Maybe it is just one of those gadgets that people see as having to have. It is like the fold out keyboard that was made for the palm. If you are going to carry around a palm, and a foldout keyboard, why not just get the laptop that can do more?

Right now, if I could buy this super pda device or an iBook, I would go with the iBook. Yes I know the iBook probably runs a few hundred more. I am guessing that the super pda with the 5 GB HD, TV tuner/radio tuner, phone, mp3 player, contact manager, calendar, color screen, and wireless internet would go for like $800. I get this by:

i705 costs $450

the 5GB hd found in the iPod cost around $300

a color lcd would be at least $50

Now throw in the extras, like tv/radio tuner, and it is right around $800

an iBook (one of the latest ones) is about $1200.

Ben
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mithralmithral Posts: 68member

<strong>

So basicly, right now handhelds suck you are saying, and current handhelds have no real purpose/killer function?

I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. I tend to use my handheld for managing Quicken accounts on the go, and for the To-Do List. Nothing that couldn't be done with a pad of paper, I suppose. But, knowing this, I went for the $120 model rather than the $400 model. Avant-Go is nice, too, though hardly indispensable.

You're quite right that handhelds, in their current form, aren't must have equipment for the average business person, much less the average user. The next generation however, has the potential to impress, especially if it can be delivered at a reasonable price point. <a href="http://www.danger.com"; target="_blank">Danger</a> for example, has a product that actually seems useful.

I think this may be why Apple has stayed out of the PDA market thus far - wisely so, I think. If they can get together with Woz & co. to produce a truly compelling product, they'll find themselves much better off than if they push out some PalmOS based gizmo.

Think about the iPod -- it's a compelling product. If you have one, you use it compulsively -- all the time. If you don't have one, you want one, knowing almost instinctively that it'll add to your musical enjoyment. A Palm?? Quite simply, if you don't have one, you probably don't feel an aching void. In fact, even if you own one, you may find yourself using it less and less...

Danger may be different...

-mithral
  • Reply 13 of 17
    I think we need to wrap our brains around the idea that right now Apple does not want to be in the business/communications device market, and they're pretty happy with what others are doing in the area. Your Palm can sync with a mac fine; many other devices can't. Apple has made it more than clear that, for now, they are interested more in media than organization.

I think the iPod is a good place to start...future devices will either be included in the iPod or in other Pod-like designs, I would imagne. Here's what I see as the next early steps:

1. iPod gains larger HD/ability to store iMovies and Photos. Remote control, video out (make current audio out an A/V out like on iBook), method to browse pictures and movies. Display slide shows for photos and iMovies via video out.

2. Pod-like digital camera. This one might have a color LCD. 4-Megapixel under $400...something like 100MB internal memory to keep costs down, plug into iPod via Firewire to transfer to the larger HD.

3. iDock. I really believe that once media other than music can be stored/organized on a Pod, Apple will find a way to integrate it fully with your home audio/video component system.

-S
  • Reply 14 of 17
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

<strong>Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the point of palms and handhelds.

I</strong><hr></blockquote>

The expensive colour handhelds are indeed wasteful.

But I've picked up a low cost PalmVX and it does the trick for appointments.

It's particularly helpful if you've got tens of appointments during the week.

(not much need if you've only got one or two things to accomplish in a week).

Inputing info onto these things are actually quite easy if it's a few words or so. Don't bother if it's a paragraph.

Personally, I wouldn't spend more that $200 on a PDA today. Perhaps more once Apple re-enters the market and makes a really easy one to use
  • Reply 15 of 17

<strong>

And you are also basicly saying that people want a laptop that will fit in your hand, and do everything it would normally do, plus phone (and tv as some one mentioned above)? Checking email and surfing the internet on a 3 inch screen (or whatever it is) doesn't sound fun. Plus with all the flash content, quicktime movies, and such, could a pda that small ever be able to do it?

I guess I just don't get it. Maybe it is just one of those gadgets that people see as having to have. It is like the fold out keyboard that was made for the palm. If you are going to carry around a palm, and a foldout keyboard, why not just get the laptop that can do more?

Right now, if I could buy this super pda device or an iBook, I would go with the iBook. Yes I know the iBook probably runs a few hundred more. I am guessing that the super pda with the 5 GB HD, TV tuner/radio tuner, phone, mp3 player, contact manager, calendar, color screen, and wireless internet would go for like $800. I get this by:

i705 costs $450

the 5GB hd found in the iPod cost around $300

a color lcd would be at least $50

Now throw in the extras, like tv/radio tuner, and it is right around $800

an iBook (one of the latest ones) is about $1200.

What is said was:

"Eventually handhelds will combine all the BASIC features of the pda, cellphone, and computer."

PDA's like Palms are already pretty simple in their current form. The same goes with cellphones. However, computers are a different story. I think that the majority of computer tasks require large screens and a lot of processing power which handhelds dont even come close to. The most basic of tasks on a computer, at least in my mind, is email. A large screen and massive processing power is not needed.

I think Danger Inc. has the answer with their device.

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Metacom ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 17
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    [quote] Maybe someone can explain this to me, but I just don't get the point of palms and handhelds.

Thanks,

Ben <hr></blockquote>

This man speaks the truth. Words of wisdom.

PDAs are status symbols, nothing more, nothing less. They do little that couldn't be done with a small notepad, pen, and calendar. Plus the calendar has pretty pictures on it, try that with a tiny PDA! You can't.

I see it all the time...yuppies, techno-geeks, they whip out a PDA only after checking to make sure someone is there watching them. It's about showing off, trying to impress others. I personally don't give a sh!t so a PDA is worthless to me.

Also, think about the advantages of a paper notepad:

?You can drop it from great heights without breaking it.

?It never runs out of batteries.

?It's compatible with both Windows and Macs.

?It costs nothing compared to a PDA.

But of course, pulling out a pad of paper to take notes doesn't give the aura of importance that a PDA does.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

This man speaks the truth. Words of wisdom.

PDAs are status symbols, nothing more, nothing less. They do little that couldn't be done with a small notepad, pen, and calendar. Plus the calendar has pretty pictures on it, try that with a tiny PDA! You can't.

I see it all the time...yuppies, techno-geeks, they whip out a PDA only after checking to make sure someone is there watching them. It's about showing off, trying to impress others. I personally don't give a sh!t so a PDA is worthless to me.

Also, think about the advantages of a paper notepad:

?You can drop it from great heights without breaking it.

?It never runs out of batteries.

?It's compatible with both Windows and Macs.

?It costs nothing compared to a PDA.

But of course, pulling out a pad of paper to take notes doesn't give the aura of importance that a PDA does.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Blackberry type of devices on the other hand are very useful. Who would not want access to email at any moment?