Snapchat harnesses TrueDepth on iPhone X for ultra-realistic Lenses

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2018
Snapchat on Friday rolled out a set of three iPhone X-exclusive Lenses that use data from the TrueDepth camera array to mold realistic AR overlays, or masks, onto a user's face.

Source: Snapchat via The Verge

The new Snapchat Lenses, which include a Mardi Gras mask, Day of the Dead face paint with matching flower headdress and an ornate masquerade eye cover with rose hair ornaments, will begin rolling out to iPhone X users today, reports The Verge.

As seen in the photos above, the TrueDepth-enabled AR masks are more tightly mapped to a user's facial topography than the usual Lenses offerings.

Unlike traditional Lenses that rely on information from a phone's 2D camera to recognize dominant facial features, like a user's eyebrows and mouth, iPhone X Lenses tap into data produced by TrueDepth. The depth information allows Snapchat to more accurately pin virtual objects onto a subject's face.

Thanks to TrueDepth, the Lenses reflect surrounding light in a more realistic manner and add a touch of blur to the background, Snap said.

Snapchat first previewed its specialized iPhone X Lenses at Apple's iPhone event in September, where Apple SVP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi conducted a short onstage demonstration showing off the feature's ability to track facial movements.

Snapchat is one of the first major apps to integrate TrueDepth facial data since iPhone X launched in November. Apple's facial recognition system and underlying depth-sensing technology sparked the concern of privacy advocates, who questioned whether third parties should be granted access to such sensitive data.

Currently, Apple strictly limits developer access to TrueDepth. Specifically, the mathematical representation of a user's face, utilized for Face ID authentication, is kept secure and remains inaccessible by third parties. Apps can, however, access visual mapping data generated by TrueDepth, as well a set of 50 different facial expressions, the latter of which powers Apple's Animoji feature.

Apple in its developer agreement states face data cannot be used for advertising, marketing or generating user profiles. Last year, an Apple employee not authorized to speak publicly about the matter told AppleInsider that developer access to TrueDepth data is "profoundly, seriously limited."

Apple's most advanced biometric security solution, TrueDepth and Face ID are expected to make their way into other product lines in the coming months, with the latest rumors suggesting iPad Pro is next in line to receive an upgrade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The one one the left is just fantastic, this is just the beginning of what all the tech on the Iphone are be going to do.
    coolfactormavemufc
  • Reply 2 of 24
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    I wonder how many people that complained about the "useless Animoji" feature are going to be using this feature?! This just goes to show you that the 3D tech will go far beyond what we can currently imagine. But first it needs to exist. I applaud Apple for having that forward thinking.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple is ahead here no doubt. Who in their right mind would give Snap their data though, that’s the question.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Installed snapchat to try these out.  Just as glitchy as the basic snapchat filters tbh. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 5 of 24
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    I wonder how many people that complained about the "useless Animoji" feature are going to be using this feature?! This just goes to show you that the 3D tech will go far beyond what we can currently imagine. But first it needs to exist. I applaud Apple for having that forward thinking.
    ...to such a nice birthday party @MacDonalds
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 6 of 24
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,247member
    How is this ‘useful’ though?
    SnickersMagoo
  • Reply 7 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    Hmm... I wonder if it has a 'paper bag' option that can be applied on the viewer's end? Would make viewing news sites more tolerable.
    bonobob
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    They're pretty pretty good!
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ireland said:
    Apple is ahead here no doubt. Who in their right mind would give Snap their data though, that’s the question.
    As evidenced by all the Facebook news, people do not seem to care much about that.

I have never used Snapchat. Iis setting up an account required to use the app at all or can it be used in a basic way without an account?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    irnchriz said:
    Installed snapchat to try these out.  Just as glitchy as the basic snapchat filters tbh. 
    I found them to be really good. Not as glitchy unless you turn your head to an extreme angle and eventually lose it. overall snapchat has been doing some cool AR stuff for while now. 
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Life is also fun! Not just "useful" things all the time
    paisleydiscoStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 24
    What a useless feature....! I can't believe someone actually spent time developing that crap...
  • Reply 13 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm glad Apple allowed public APIs right away.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Life is also fun! Not just "useful" things all the time
    One could argue that fun is a necessary part of life. Releasing dopamine, relieving stress, creating pleasure, etc. are extremely important to our health, wellbeing, and longevity.
    edited April 2018 bonobobStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Is giving up ownership of your identity worth it?
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 16 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I thought all this face scanning information remained resident on the phone and isn't actually handed over to the app company.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I thought all this face scanning information remained resident on the phone and isn't actually handed over to the app company.
    FTA: "Currently, Apple strictly limits developer access to TrueDepth. Specifically, the mathematical representation of a user's face, utilized for Face ID authentication, is kept secure and remains inaccessible by third parties. Apps can, however, access visual mapping data generated by TrueDepth, as well a set of 50 different facial expressions, the latter of which powers Apple's Animoji feature."

I'm pretty sure they talked about this during the keynote and iPhone X introduction.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 18 of 24

cpsro said:
    Is giving up ownership of your identity worth it?
    As I mentioned earlier, I haven't used Snapchat so I'm somewhat out of the loop.  How does this feature result in someone giving up ownership of their identity?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    What a useless feature....! I can't believe someone actually spent time developing that crap...
    News flash - people are diverse and enjoy different things. You may be suffering from Techie Identity Syndrome, whereby you’re under the mistaken impression that everyone is just like you. It’s on the sprectrum. 
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 20 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I find this crap to be exactly as idiotic and useless as the facially-animated emoji. Where exactly is the practical need for this? There's so much more useful stuff to do with depth sensor tech. This is the junk food of tech gadgetry.