2018 iPhone may sport three-lens camera system to boost image quality

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2018
Reports from the supply chain are predicting that at least one model of 2018 iPhone will have a three-lens system to improve photo quality, and possibly increase the optical zoom.

A supply chain based report claims that one of the three expected fall 2018 iPhones will somehow incorporate a 5x optical zoom in the place of the existing 2x installation, with a 6P lens system. The extra lens could possibly add to low-light quality, or be some kind of rangefinder to enhance the camera, possibly with a depth-mapper like used in Face ID to help with ARKit applications.

The Economic Daily News has little else to say on the matter, and isn't clear on the specific details of the lens, or the camera's performance. Furthermore, the publication has a poor track record on predicting Apple's future plans.

Early discussions from 2017 about what would ultimately be called the iPhone X predicted that Apple would adopt another lens on the rear camera protrusion for range-finding. Early suspicions pegged a front and back VCSEL on the device, with the final device having only the one on the front of the device for Face ID.

Should there be three lenses, it might be similar to the Huawei P20 Pro, which has a three-lens system. However, the picture quality has not always been heralded to be better than that in the iPhone X, despite the company declaring victory in the smartphone camera wars with the release.

The current crop of rumors suggests Apple has a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone on tap for launch in the second half of 2018. This handset would presumably serve as a sort of "iPhone X Plus," taking the general size of a Plus-sized iPhone and adding an edge-to-edge OLED display.

Apple is also said to be working on a new LCD model with a large 6.1-inch display. Analysts predict that this model will be targeted toward the low-end and mid-range smartphone markets.

The low-cost flagship is expected to have a lower-resolution display to achieve a price point between $650 and $750. But it's likely that this model will feature Face ID and advanced cameras to replace Touch ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    I have used the iPhone X & it does feel like the future.
    But I just like the home button so much. I feel like buying a 256GB iPhone 8 rather than a 10.
    Any opinions ?
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 61
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    But I just like the home button so much. I feel like buying a 256GB iPhone 8 rather than a 10.
    Any opinions ?
    I stopped looking for the Home button about 30 minutes into ownership of the X.
    h2pRayz2016caladanianolshummerchinechasmSnickersMagoomavemufcjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 61
    minisu1980minisu1980 Posts: 132member
    mike1 said:
    Any opinions ?
    I stopped looking for the Home button about 30 minutes into ownership of the X.
    My experience mirrors the above comment. One thing I found myself doing for a bit after that initial period was trying to activate the readability feature and therefore looking for the home button. Turns out I really didn't need it given the dimensions of the X. FWIW the iPhone X is hands down the best phone I have owned.
    h2pRayz2016gilly017chasmSnickersMagoowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Once you get used to iPhone X, home button looks so old school. Swiping up on the iPhone X is so much better and faster than the home button.
    caladanianhummerchinechasm
  • Reply 5 of 61
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    All 3 lenses on Huawei P20 have OIS. Wonder if this will be the same with the next iPhone. The P20 camera is getting really good reviews.
    LukeCageKITA
  • Reply 6 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    All 3 lenses on Huawei P20 have OIS. Wonder if this will be the same with the next iPhone. The P20 camera is getting really good reviews.
    They also have AIIS  running through the NPU and predictive AF which is what many are calling a 'game changer' in smartphone camera technology.
    KITA
  • Reply 7 of 61
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    I’m still pretty happy with the 7 Plus but would love the Face ID feature, though not quite enough to get the X at this time. A 3-lens system would suck me in though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Don't say it. Samsung will come out to be the first with Galaxy s10
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hard to believe the weird stuff folk used to do on these things – like call each other. 
    edited April 2018 gilly017watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 61
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Any opinions ?
    If old form factor is okay with you, then stick with iPhone 8.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Any opinions ?
    Navigation wise, you’ll move past the home button very quickly. Swipe to home is very natural feeling. You may miss the home button a little if you use the app switcher often but wasn’t an issue for me. I personally prefer Touch ID over Face ID but I’m likely in the minority with that. Overall, I’d absolutely recommend the X if your looking to purchase a new phone.
    racerhomie3hummerchinewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    2019 iPhone, not 2018.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    clarker99clarker99 Posts: 230member
    OLED Plus - 3 lenses
    OLED - 2 lenses
    LCD - 1 lense

Gonna be tough to not go with the 3 lense Plus variant, if this is true. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    ireland said:
    2019 iPhone, not 2018.
    An actual translation, not a Google translate, suggests the next phone (meaning this year), not the next year's iPhone. That said, I'll get a different person to translate for us, and get back to you.

Regardless, the source isn't that reliable.
    curtis hannahwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 61
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member

Just wonder how many lenses are really necessary. Feel like we’re getting into razor territory “our new razor has 5 blades!” Google’d Pixel has a pretty great camera, mostly on par with the X & S9, while only having 1 lense. I’d be surprised if this triple lens prediction comes true. 
  • Reply 16 of 61
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Word "MAY" means guess. Next iPhone may use 4 lens camera.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Any opinions ?
    If you like the home button buy an iPhone 8. Forget about buying the future. Buy the phone you want.

Edit: misread that you owned an X. Now I don’t know what to advise. Either way you’re richer than me.
    edited April 2018 Boonmee udomjit(รวมพล)
  • Reply 18 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    supadav03 said:

,Just wonder how many lenses are really necessary. Feel like we’re getting into razor territory “our new razor has 5 blades!” Google’d Pixel has a pretty great camera, mostly on par with the X & S9, while only having 1 lense. I’d be surprised if this triple lens prediction comes true. 
    I think it makes sense to wonder that.

I was holding off on any opinion until the first reviews appeared (as opposed to hands on) and they are now appearing.

All of them put the P20 Pro triple camera front and foremost and agree that it is taking photos that simply aren't achievable on any other phones (Huawei Mate RS excepted of course). That, coupled with the versatility of the three camera set-up.

Some don't like the post processing on the 'mode' shots but that can be disabled or you can shoot RAW if you prefer.

So far, it seems to have been well worth the effort. Not sure if we'll see triple front facing cameras but dualies already exist.
    supadav03KITAmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 61
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Are we just going to keep stacking lenses on to the phone? Maybe it’s for 4x zoom this time?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Any opinions ?
    The iPhone X has an AssistiveTouch option which might be a sufficient alternative to the home button. 
    watto_cobra