How to make typing in macOS like iOS with auto capitalization, double-space periods, and w...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    There aren't many things in grammar that I can point to as being absolutely write or wrong (excluding very specific use cases), but the idea that someone is claiming a double-space is requirement after a sentence during a digital age with advanced typography is pretty absurd.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "Add period with double space."  Apple knows what's up: people who add only a single space after a period should be given 40 lashes with a wet noodle.
    No, that’s just viscerally wrong. Not only about what the shortcut does, but about how human beings actually write. As for the shortcut itself, I just can’t seem to break the conditioning. I use it on iOS, but it just feels totally unnatural on my desktop. :p 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    Correct spelling is "Conor" not "Conner".
  • Reply 24 of 26
    apple2c said:
    Even with proportional fonts, a single space after a sentence rather than two spaces makes the text harder to read.  It looks run on.  

The period is a FULL stop, not a quick, breathless rush to the next sentence!

Far too many text entry dialog boxes take one's nicely formatted text, with two spaces after a period (or question mark) and convert them into only one sentence, thereby, making the comment harder to read!

That's also a characteristic of HTML.  Unless you go out of your way to specify a "non-breaking space," all white space--including runs of spaces--are displayed as a single space.  For example I typed 8 or 9 spaces before the word I in this sentence. So if you are editing raw HTML (which also no one does any more, it doesn't matter whether you type 1 or 2 spaces after a period, because only one will show.
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 26
    "Add period with double space."  Apple knows what's up: people who add only a single space after a period should be given 40 lashes with a wet noodle.
    Just to echo the others: You're wrong on both what Apple's doing and what typography calls for. ;)

If you *really* want to use two spaces, you need to make sure you only use monospaced fonts. Then you can two space till you're two spaced-out (but turn this bit of autocorrection off).
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Soli said:
    There aren't many things in grammar that I can point to as being absolutely write or wrong....
    “Absolutely write” is absolutely wrong.  :-)