Activists stage 'die-ins' at French Apple stores to protest impact of tax avoidance on soc...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    jungmark said:
    I wonder how many of these clowns try to pay as little tax as possible? Do they take deductions and credits? 

Hopefully someone rounded up the "dead bodies" a la "Bring out your dead!" And dumped them in a ditch. 

I am by no means know a whole lot about individual taxes in the EU or the EU countries, however, I suspect they do not have the ability to avoid taxes except to never make a wage. Their taxes are so high and then the government covers all the entitlements. This is what people are complaining about, they not getting the best free education and health care and the government reason is companies like Apple are not paying enough so people blame Apple not themselves for allowing a system like this to be set up and have complete control over their lives.

I personally do not want the government involved in any part of my life, I can make far better decision about my health and well being than any government. Just allow me to make as much as possible so I can pay for what I want not what the government things I need.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    I guess these protesters have plenty of time on their hands with the six months paid vacation they get every year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Why aren’t they staging these outside government offices? You know, the people that actually write the laws regarding taxes.
    That would be too easy. Every protestor should have their picture uploaded to an Apple database and they should be refused entry next time they approach the store.
    That's a very Nazi like solution.

Apple accountants know very well that they are negotiating every legal loophole they can exploit to minimise corporate taxation. In doing so they create an extremely amoral Apple. Civilised nations acknowledge those citizens which have been dealt a bad hand in life and create a welfare system to assist them. This costs loads and is a huge pull on treasury funds. Intelligent humanists understand the economic dynamic of people who exist at the lowest levels of society or who have disabilities or maladies which prevent them making better lives for themselves. It is for this reason that people of compassion and empathy willingly pay taxes, in part, to give aid to those of us humans who are most in need. Apple's CEO and Board of Directors know only too well that the avoidance of tax runs counter to a civilised society. They don't give a shit. For them taking money from the poorest people is fun. Capitalism is a hoot. There's not a lot that's better than loot.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Why aren’t they staging these outside government offices? You know, the people that actually write the laws regarding taxes.
    That would be too easy. Every protestor should have their picture uploaded to an Apple database and they should be refused entry next time they approach the store.

Apple accountants know very well that they are negotiating every legal loophole they can exploit to minimise corporate taxation. In doing so they create an extremely amoral Apple. Civilised nations acknowledge those citizens which have been dealt a bad hand in life and create a welfare system to assist them. This costs loads and is a huge pull on treasury funds. Intelligent humanists understand the economic dynamic of people who exist at the lowest levels of society or who have disabilities or maladies which prevent them making better lives for themselves. It is for this reason that people of compassion and empathy willingly pay taxes, in part, to give aid to those of us humans who are most in need. Apple's CEO and Board of Directors know only too well that the avoidance of tax runs counter to a civilised society. They don't give a shit. For them taking money from the poorest people is fun. Capitalism is a hoot. There's not a lot that's better than loot.
    It's a "Nazi like solution" for a private company to (hypothetically of course, no one at Apple even suggested this) tell people who disrupt their business that they are no longer welcome on their private property?  Gee, and here I thought that the Nazi's "final solution" was the wholesale extermination of millions of "inferior" people.  Who knew they were just trying to get rid of bad customers. /s

To your second point, there are so many points to disagree with that I'll limit myself to pointing out that the vast, vast majority of government spending in all countries goes to programs other than providing for citizens who have been "dealt a bad hand" or "exist at the lowest levels of society."  Of the next dollar that Ireland or France or the EU collects from Apple via various taxes, less than a penny will go to help the poorest of the poor.  Whose fault is that?  Not Apple's.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maestro64 said:
    jungmark said:
    I wonder how many of these clowns try to pay as little tax as possible? Do they take deductions and credits? 

Hopefully someone rounded up the "dead bodies" a la "Bring out your dead!" And dumped them in a ditch. 

I am by no means know a whole lot about individual taxes in the EU or the EU countries, however, I suspect they do not have the ability to avoid taxes except to never make a wage. Their taxes are so high and then the government covers all the entitlements. This is what people are complaining about, they not getting the best free education and health care and the government reason is companies like Apple are not paying enough so people blame Apple not themselves for allowing a system like this to be set up and have complete control over their lives.

I personally do not want the government involved in any part of my life, I can make far better decision about my health and well being than any government. Just allow me to make as much as possible so I can pay for what I want not what the government things I need.
    Yeh...  That works till you get cancer, your company fires you because they don't like you missing so much work and they really don't like paying those 6 figure health care bills.  So you lose your paycheck and your access to the healthcare you need to stay alive...   They're called safety nets because stuff happens.  That;s actually why we have a healthcare system:  Stuff happens.

As for taxes, if you fold in the cost of our health care, our taxes are far higher -- but we yet get less for them...  I guess somebody's gotta pay for those F35's.

As for education and healthcare -- the U.S. is, at best, mediocre in both.

The answers are easy -- as long as you don't have a problem and you don't look too deeply.
  • Reply 66 of 79

I agreed with what you said -- till you got to the part about Apple being amoral.   Ireland offered them a tax deal that broke the laws of the EU.  They got caught.   Now Apple has to pay the bill that they should have paid anyway.   It was really Ireland breaking the law and being unethical -- enjoying the benefits of being in the EU but not paying their way...  
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 67 of 79
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    I wish I were there to step on them as they get in my way while laying on the floor. These publicity stunts are stupid. If they were serious about change, they would lobby their own government for changing the tax laws. These are just attention seekers. I say, step on them.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

I agreed with what you said -- till you got to the part about Apple being amoral.   Ireland offered them a tax deal that broke the laws of the EU.  They got caught.   Now Apple has to pay the bill that they should have paid anyway.   It was really Ireland breaking the law and being unethical -- enjoying the benefits of being in the EU but not paying their way...  
    Personally I feel Ireland should be on the line for that bill, and yet I also don't really care since this is a minor financial inconvenience for Apple who probably ended up profiting from the lowered taxes for all those years, even if penalties were applied.
    GeorgeBMacrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Soli said:

Personally I feel Ireland should be on the line for that bill, and yet I also don't really care since this is a minor financial inconvenience for Apple who probably ended up profiting from the lowered taxes for all those years, even if penalties were applied.
    That's hard to argue with...  And, I think it's confirmed by the fact that Apple is remaining in Ireland even without the tax break.  It seems that they both get benefit from the relationship...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 79
    It seems that in the current world 1% of people has more than 50% of the richness.
    it seems also that 20/30 years ago the 1% had about 40% of it.
    As I can assume that the people that post here is well below the (I guess) 10M that should be more or less the floor level to the exclusive 1% club I can deduct that many people shares taxation ideas that conflict with their own well being.

I believe that taxes for corporations should be higher (or equal) than the taxes for the employees. And that’s before considering the implications of robot work. 

On the “where to pay it” I also believe that the rules that apply for employees should be applied for corporations (but this topic deserves a longer discussion were I’m not very prepared —- but having all the patents/rd in a fiscal paradise should be banned for corporations—- do not ask me how).

My pre tax 2c
    willcropoint
  • Reply 71 of 79
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    How many of our posters send their government more taxes than they are required to pay?  Is it unethical to pay only what the government expects?
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 72 of 79
    Unethical? I believe is moronic support the rules that wide the gap between the fabulous 1% and the salaried rest of the world.
    But it seems that having 100 shares of AAPL makes many people believe that they share something really important with them, their values ... but not their money nor their tax burden ...
  • Reply 73 of 79
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I made some poor choices in life.  I should have instead found a way to go down the path where I am a perpetual victim, always outraged by something new and exciting.  Instead I chose to take a route that makes me a responsible father/husband/adult who gets up and goes to work every day to provide for my family.   Some I guess prefer to pretend to die in stores to advocate for taking more of what others have earned.  
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Unethical? I believe is moronic support the rules that wide the gap between the fabulous 1% and the salaried rest of the world.
    But it seems that having 100 shares of AAPL makes many people believe that they share something really important with them, their values ... but not their money nor their tax burden ...
    I recommend studying a little economics.  Raising taxes on corporate activities by $1 does not take $1 out of the pockets of the "1%."  Instead some portion of that tax burden is passed onto the consumers in the form of higher prices, some is passed onto employees, some to company executives, and some to the investors (most of whom are mutual funds which are owned by workers and retirees).  Moreover every dollar of taxation introduces some fraction of a dollar of inefficiency into the system whereby production decisions choose less efficient options and a sub-optimal mix of goods are produced.  In other words, Taxes are hard, Barbie, so simplistic "die ins" and bumper sticker solutions are rarely productive.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    roake said:
    How many of our posters send their government more taxes than they are required to pay?  Is it unethical to pay only what the government expects?
    A more appropriate question is:  "How many pay less taxes than the law demands?".
    Remember:   Ireland and Apple were busted by the EU for tax evasion.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 76 of 79
    airnerd said:
    I made some poor choices in life.  I should have instead found a way to go down the path where I am a perpetual victim, always outraged by something new and exciting.  Instead I chose to take a route that makes me a responsible father/husband/adult who gets up and goes to work every day to provide for my family.   Some I guess prefer to pretend to die in stores to advocate for taking more of what others have earned.  
    Yeh, justice is such a horrible thing... It should be against the law....
  • Reply 77 of 79
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    steveh said:
    DAalseth said:
    Early Europeans fled Europe to evade taxes. Let that sink in for a minute
    Not really. Most were fleeing religious or ethnic persecution.
    The majority were leaving for someplace with better opportunity for them and their families. The persecuted were a minority in most cases, along with a few transportees modulo various criminal convictions.
    True. But not to evade taxes
  • Reply 78 of 79
    MacPro said:
    bshank said:
    Oops, sorry I tripped over you. Didn’t mean to drop my MacBook Pro on your face #naturalconsequences
    That was my immediate, visceral reaction as well.  Seeing these people lying on the floor of an Apple store makes me angry, but at the protesters not about Apple.

And their protest is so disconnected from the problem they are complaining about, it's bizarre.  If they had sat on the floor with tin cups asking for handouts, at least it would align with their message that Apple isn't paying its fair share.  But Apple isn't killing anyone.
    Not disagreeing but ... and I'm just guessing perhaps they believe people could die if the French health system can't get its hands on some more of Apple's money. Hence the dying part.  Coincidently a good friend of mine retired from England to France and he was just explaining the French laws of inheritance to me this morning and the way women are unbelievably discriminated against.  They certainly pick and choose their priorities to protest about.  Then again we all know protesters and mobs in general both here in the US and abroad are often puppets in the hands of calculating provocateurs and the real motive for protests are not always what they seem.
    I do not quite understand what your friend implies as far as inheritance and women are concerned. Since at least the Holland's presidency, or even the Sarkozy's one, France has been in a craze to equalize men and women rights on many fronts, most notably salaries and hirings (e.g. a company must do its best to hire an equal number of men and women for every type of position it opens or face the consequences). On the inheritance side, the official documentation is here: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/N173. What I know is that the legacy is shared equally among children (if they are alive of course, or the next level of heirs  as defined by law if not), the spouse or husband has more priority than children but its actual share depends on various factors. Nowhere the sex has any incidence on the inheritance, shares or whatever.

About the Attac protest, I could not say if they are in the hands of "calculating provocateurs". But IMHO, they look like left wing extremists who fight a system (i.e.: globalization) which is far stronger than them, and the installment of which is ineluctable. Looks like the French have more issues with change than others.