How to check if Facebook gave your data to Cambridge Analytica right now

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It seems to me that most people are missing the significance of this.
    It's not that your data was stolen.  It's what was done with it:  Using highly detailed psychological profiling to identify voting blocks and pin point their hopes, fears and vulnerabilities -- and then use that information to effect the results of an election through the detailed targeted use of propaganda.

Yes, as Mike points out, this has been done since the dawn of campaigning.
    But, the difference is:  the newer technologies have enabled the collection of far more extensive and detailed information and the dissemination of far more effective propaganda than the world has ever previously known.  It is a weapon that we were and are unprepared to deal with.   We know what to do when a weapon is launched in our direction.   We don't know what to do when that weapon is information.

And further:   Previously news and information was disseminated to the people through various news outlets -- and the information was filtered through editors and publishers to insure some level of honesty and integrity.  But now, using tools like Facebook, any person, any organization and any country can feed information (true or otherwise) directly to the people of this country without any filters in place. 

And, this was not a one-off deal.  Nor is it restricted to Cambridge Analytica.   It is the way of the future.  It is the weaponization of information and the future of warfare:  You no longer have to spend lives and money to invade a foreign country.  You just trick them into believing what you want them to believe and voting the way you want them to vote.   And, it's not just foreign countries that we have to worry about but any organization that wants to gain power and control over our country.

Just like gunpowder and atomic bombs introduced new weapons into warfare and nations had to learn how to deal with them, we are now seeing a new weapon that we will need to learn how to deal with.

• Reply 22 of 22
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    It seems to me that most people are missing the significance of this.
    It's not that your data was stolen.  It's what was done with it:  Using highly detailed psychological profiling to identify voting blocks and pin point their hopes, fears and vulnerabilities -- and then use that information to effect the results of an election through the detailed targeted use of propaganda.

Yes, as Mike points out, this has been done since the dawn of campaigning.
    But, the difference is:  the newer technologies have enabled the collection of far more extensive and detailed information and the dissemination of far more effective propaganda than the world has ever previously known.  It is a weapon that we were and are unprepared to deal with.   We know what to do when a weapon is launched in our direction.   We don't know what to do when that weapon is information.

And further:   Previously news and information was disseminated to the people through various news outlets -- and the information was filtered through editors and publishers to insure some level of honesty and integrity.  But now, using tools like Facebook, any person, any organization and any country can feed information (true or otherwise) directly to the people of this country without any filters in place. 

And, this was not a one-off deal.  Nor is it restricted to Cambridge Analytica.   It is the way of the future.  It is the weaponization of information and the future of warfare:  You no longer have to spend lives and money to invade a foreign country.  You just trick them into believing what you want them to believe and voting the way you want them to vote.   And, it's not just foreign countries that we have to worry about but any organization that wants to gain power and control over our country.

Just like gunpowder and atomic bombs introduced new weapons into warfare and nations had to learn how to deal with them, we are now seeing a new weapon that we will need to learn how to deal with.

Here's the thing... I agree with what you've said above. The problem is that there are still powers and 'filters' in place... the real question is who is controlling them and if they are still working (if they ever were), even within the main stream media, let alone social media.

Yes, this is scary and the capabilities more powerful than ever. But, my fear (and I'm already seeing this play out), is whether we want some power putting the 'approved' stamp on the information, such that society gets fed the propaganda under the guise of trusted and reliable news.

As I've mentioned before in posts... if you critique the main stream media, you'll very quickly see how bad it is (I'd say to the point of being purposeful, too). If you can't trust it, then what do you think is going on with social media, and has been for some time now... but TONS of players. This story that seems to have gripped the media isn't anything new at all or unique. So, why the hoopla now? (I can tell you, but then my post gets banned.)