Wish list: 9 new CarPlay features for iOS 12

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    rob55 said:
    drdb said:
    The only feature I'd like is for it to NOT automatically start playing music the second I plug into the charger on the car.
    I pause playback just before turning off the ignition. The next time I start the car (A4), and plug in my iPhone 7 Plus, the music remains paused. I'm assuming that if I accidentally closed out the music app, the next time I plugged it in, it might automatically start playing like you describe.
    I find the autoplay feature (?) to be very inconsistent with no rhyme or reason as to when it happens in my A4 & 6s. I can use the Audi Maps/navigation while using CarPlay for podcasts, though.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    While you rightly place the burden on the car/audio unit manufacturers to allow wireless connectivity, I'm not sure how hard this is to do. My Ford Connect system wirelessly connects to my iPhone via bluetooth, but of course does so without enabling CarPlay. Can Carplay run over BT? If so, it seems to be solvable by software changes, not specific hardware.

One thing I'd like in CarPlay is for it to also handle car maintenance records. There are ODB dongles with apps. Maybe all that in CarPlay.

For the next outlandish idea, how cool would it be for CarPlay to have the option to pay for parking via ApplePay? Or a road toll? 
  • Reply 43 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    Why can't Apple continue to make their Maps app better while still allowing 3rd-party options? It would be saying that Apple should just make Apple Music better but not allow   other streaming music services on the App Store. While I use Maps I know plenty of people that prefer Waze and don't think it's fair for me to say Waze shouldn't exist because I don't use it.
    In a way, that’s what Apple is doing with Siri.

You cannot use Siri to control Spotify. This is an Apple restriction because they exclude music streaming apps from being connected with Siri, Apple’s awful voice ‘assistant’.

Which causes me to have to control it by touch in my car (or my HomePod). Apple is causing me to operste my phone in an unsafe way because they rather block competition from providing th same amount of usability. I find that a distribing trend and arrogant stance, not putting customers first. In the end Apple is shooting themselves in the foot, because users on Android users have access to a) a better voice assistant that b) works with their app of choice.
    I am surprised that Europe for example hasn’t acted upon the monopoly Apple created by abusing their operating system to put their own apps and services first (e.g Apple Music, iCloud, Apple Maps), creating unfair competition. There used to be a time where a certain operating system developer got into trouble by preinstalling a certain browser. 
    Er, no, that isn't what got Microsoft into trouble. They leveraged their position as monopoly in one area (desk OS) to punish businesses in another product space (browsers). When desktop OEMs began bundling Netscape in their Windows images MS got threatened to revoke their licenses unless they included IE, stopped bundling Netscape, and if including it stopped giving it prominent placement, etc. Basically they leveraged their monopoly market position to strong-arm OEMs.

https://www.justice.gov/archive/atr/public/press_releases/1998/1764.htm

Apple doesn't have a monopoly market position.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    danwells said:
    Another addition that would be useful is the ability to play AUDIO ONLY from YouTube and other sources. A lot of institutions (including Harvard) post lectures on YouTube, and you don't need the video of the professor waving her or his hands to get the point. The same is true of music posted to YouTube - the video is often not the point. I'm guessing 20% of YouTube is really audio presentations (like people say about the news on PBS - the best radio on television) ...
    Whether or not they enable video in some edge cases (in park, screens in the back seats of vans, etc.), the audio would be useful. I was trying to play a lecture from a course I'm auditing, and, as soon as I plugged the phone in (even with the lecture already running), CarPlay silenced the audio and switched to my music library. It should play ANY RANDOM AUDIO STREAM, even if it can't control it. I finally had to go into the car's settings (I was parked), and switch off CarPlay, and then it handled the audio over USB just fine (since the video played on the phone screen, I turned the phone face down).
    Huh, my Sony AX100 can play audio-only from YouTube pretty well. Sometimes it shows the home screen, sometimes it shows a black screen with media playback controls, and occasionally it doesn't want to work and we have to disconnect/reconnect the phone until it works. But on that deck, it's definitely possible. 

---

The things I'd like are:
    Quicker access to "shuffle all music" - Right now to do this you have to scroll down to touch Songs, then touch shuffle. I was there was a button right on the top level of the Music menu for this. 
    Scrubbing in the Music app - to me, dragging the little slider would be easier and safer than holding the FF button down for several seconds at a time. Right now I sometimes tell Siri to "fast forward one minute" or whatever, and that works OK
    Scrolling song info in Music app - Right now, if the song title is too long, you just never see the whole thing. My old decks would scroll the title for you.
    Show album art - not just as a background
    Google Maps
  • Reply 45 of 72
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    I tried Waze a couple of times a few years ago but quit after it asked me I wanted to make a detour to a (Sponsored) Holiday Inn along my route? WTF. Who wants to have to tap-out of ads while driving!? Nuts.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    eightzero said:
    While you rightly place the burden on the car/audio unit manufacturers to allow wireless connectivity, I'm not sure how hard this is to do. My Ford Connect system wirelessly connects to my iPhone via bluetooth, but of course does so without enabling CarPlay. Can Carplay run over BT? If so, it seems to be solvable by software changes, not specific hardware.

One thing I'd like in CarPlay is for it to also handle car maintenance records. There are ODB dongles with apps. Maybe all that in CarPlay.

For the next outlandish idea, how cool would it be for CarPlay to have the option to pay for parking via ApplePay? Or a road toll? 
    According to Apple, wireless CarPlay requires "Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi access point and location data. Bluetooth is used to discover and reconnect CarPlay devices. ... The Wi-Fi link is used for all audio and video transfer to the CarPlay protocol, as well as iAP2 data transfer."

My Ford has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location data, yet Ford still requires it to be physically attached for CarPlay.

eightzero
  • Reply 47 of 72
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    eightzero said:

According to Apple, wireless CarPlay requires "Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi access point and location data. Bluetooth is used to discover and reconnect CarPlay devices. ... The Wi-Fi link is used for all audio and video transfer to the CarPlay protocol, as well as iAP2 data transfer."

My Ford has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and location data, yet Ford still requires it to be physically attached for CarPlay.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. So indeed this is a feature Ford Connect can support with a software update. 

Interesting that Ford Connect supports wireless android connection and function. 
  • Reply 48 of 72
    I want Track Addict on CarPlay!
  • Reply 49 of 72
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. So indeed this is a feature Ford Connect can support with a software update. 

Interesting that Ford Connect supports wireless android connection and function. 
    Yes, this could be something they bring with an update. Least, I hope so.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    1 I want a weather radar plug in for Apple Maps that shows the weather data over the navigation map and also tells you if NWS watches or warnings are issued along your nav route. Some of us have to drive- rain or shine- because of our jobs. It might be nice to not drive into a Tornado Warning or re-route away from freezing rain as conditions deteriorate.
    There are a number of iOS and Mac apps that allow users to subscribe to live radar- most free apps use data that is commonly 15 minutes old. It also includes live lightning and watches/warnings. It would be nice if nav could alert to flash flood warnings along your route, for example.

2 Apple needs to filter data sharing between devices. If I am at home on my Mac and open Maps while searching a place I read about in the news or for vacation planning, I do not need or want it to show up as suggestions for Destinations. I was using Maps planning for a European Vacation and then saw those destinations listed on nav in my car from my iPhone. I like my car, but doubt it can drive to Europe from the US.

3 I would like to be able to bookmark streaming audio web addresses as web apps that point directly to the stations I like to listen to instead of using Tune In Radio Pro with it’s obnoxious ads. Sun Radio in Austin Texas would be a good example.

4 It would be nice if iOS noticed by my installed apps some of my preferences for navigation. For example, if you have the Bank of America app installed you could extrapolate that those would be the bank branches of interest. If you have the CVS app installed that would like;y be your preferred pharmacy. If you have a Kroger loyalty card, that would likely be your preference for grocery stores. If you have an ExxonMobil Gas card, it would likely be your preference for fuel. 
  • Reply 51 of 72
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Alternative routes, and sequential destinations in maps would be good.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    MplsP said:
    rob55 said:
    drdb said:
    The only feature I'd like is for it to NOT automatically start playing music the second I plug into the charger on the car.
    I pause playback just before turning off the ignition. The next time I start the car (A4), and plug in my iPhone 7 Plus, the music remains paused. I'm assuming that if I accidentally closed out the music app, the next time I plugged it in, it might automatically start playing like you describe.
    I find the autoplay feature (?) to be very inconsistent with no rhyme or reason as to when it happens in my A4 & 6s. I can use the Audi Maps/navigation while using CarPlay for podcasts, though.
    Yes, while it does work as I described (I went and double-checked right after my original post), there are lots of variables with Audi's MMI, and all the sources available (tuner, USB, SD card, BT, disc, etc.). For example, if I'm listening to audio files from an SD card, it will default to that when I start the car the next time, even though I was using CarPlay the last time I drove the car.

In another example, if the non-CarPlay source selected is the SD card, but the card had since been removed, then I am greeted with silence before it engages the Audi smartphone interface and CarPlay. Then, if my last CarPlay source was left paused, then it will be still be paused when I resume CarPlay.

Lastly, the only time CarPlay overrides the vehicle's NAV is when I'm using Apple Maps. All other audio apps work fine with it. Fortunately in my scenario, I can have CarPlay  on the center infotainment display, and the vehicle's NAV on the virtual cockpit instrument display.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    I can see how I need to activate service and I need WiFi access with this... beacuse Apple suspects that car was stolen and fell of the grid and now is back. No thank you after traveling to Europe and using roaming on iPhone when it was reported to Verizon and special program enabled... Apple let me down withy that dumb suspicions that disrupted business work (finance). Last thing I need some "help" with my life in this fashion. If I lose it I will report - do not do any "convenience work" for me that I did not ask for.
  • Reply 54 of 72
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Since my cars don’t support it, I’d like the CarPlay UI on the iPhone screen itself when driving. Used it in a rental car and fell in love.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    wg45678wg45678 Posts: 47member
     Some add-ons I'd like to see

1) More map options including the ability to use offline maps (Waze, Map.Me, etc.) I sometimes use Apple Maps on the display but run Waze in the background on the phone so I get traffic, hazard, etc. warnings. 
    2) Allow OBD-II connected apps to use the car display to show information so you can monitor performance or detail diagnose the vehicle while driving. Some car manufacturers already do this (ie. Dodge Charger) with performance pages etc in the on-board systems. 
    3) Extend Notifications so when using say, Maps in the foreground you get a notification of song playing, etc. They already do this with Messages; why not other apps? At least this way native apps on the radio/display, as well, device could communicate with you in CarPlay mode without having to switch out of CarPlay mode. Given the limited space on the most displays at present (VGA/SGA) it seems an acceptable way to NOT make the display cluttered. 
    4) Way to get to native apps (overlay, perhaps) without exiting CarPlay so I can use the tuner if I want. I'd rather have a launcher bar type menu with radio native apps than have to push the icon for the manufacturer's display and then tune the radio if I choose to use it. 
    Soli
  • Reply 56 of 72
    I really like the improvements in the Carplay. But, I what's your opinions on this iOS 12 Concept?
  • Reply 57 of 72
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Forget about CarPlay with third party hardware manufacturers. Used old Apple TV3 and SmartView HD to give your car Apple TV capability. Also, you can use AirPlay for any map on your phone to the car display!
  • Reply 58 of 72
    MeiDoctor said:
    I really like the improvements in the Carplay. But, I what's your opinions on this iOS 12 Concept?
    Um.. I wish it had a few other changes. Some things I disagree with. 

First, I actually like swipe to unlock on my iPhone X. I don't want the phone to automatically unlock every time I look at it.

Split view could be ok, but that seems pretty basic and like it would match the Plus sized phones better than the X.

Group notifications in this mockup look a little dated to me, and I haven't had too much an issue with notifications as is honestly. And I get a lot!

I think guest mode is a neat idea, but something that makes more sense on an iPad?

I think from what we've heard, iOS 12 will be more behind the scenes work and less flashy new features, but I'm sure we will see a few great things!
  • Reply 59 of 72
    MplsP said:
    i continue to have intermittent connectivity problems with CarPlay in my A4. Most of the time it works perfectly, but not infrequently I’ll plug my phone in and the CarPlay screen will come up, but audio plays over the iPhone speaker rather than the car speaker. Apple blames Audi and Audi blames Apple and I’m just annoyed 
    I own a VW- the company that owns and makes Audi- and am also a shareholder (ADR). I am pretty sure both use the same technology (Blackberry QNX) and I have no problem. With USB it uses the CarPlay interface and with Bluetooth only it streams using the Native UI.

Have you tried someone else’s iPhone to localize the problem?
  • Reply 60 of 72
    I tried Waze a couple of times a few years ago but quit after it asked me I wanted to make a detour to a (Sponsored) Holiday Inn along my route? WTF. Who wants to have to tap-out of ads while driving!? Nuts.

Every time I see one of those ads, I ignore it, and it goes away after a few seconds.  I've never had to "tap out" of any of them.