Eight Siri features we want to see in iOS 12, macOS 10.14, watchOS 5, and tvOS 12 at WWDC ...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    ivanh said:
    Is that all for Siri? What a shame.
    Yes we get it, you hate Apple, batteries, Siri, etc.. 
    absolutely wrong. Regarding battery, I want fact, not lies. Regarding Siri, I’m very disappointed. You hate people telling facts, do you? Strange guy, not just strange days.
    holyonewilliamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Memnautikus74Memnautikus74 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    How about the ability to turn on the iPhone when thieves turn them off so we can track it. 
  • Reply 23 of 56
    jalfjalf Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Portuguese from Portugal!
  • Reply 24 of 56
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    insync88 said:
    I honestly just want Siri to work together across all Apple os in a way that makes life a little easier.Why can’t I say hey Siri ,play the latest episode of something on my Apple TV or if I’m watching a music video on my Apple TV say hey Siri ,play this song on my HomePod .I feel like I have 20 different Siri in my home that don’t know each other.
    YES!  And also make Siri more consistent across devices.  On AppleTV I can ask Siri the weather but it doesn't do much else.  There should more feature parity with Siri everywhere else.  (How hard should it be to put Safari on AppleTV?) 

Furthermore, AppleTV is already a Homekit hub.  Why can't I turn the TV on through Siri and Homekit?

And OT but  finally, Apple, you suck at remote controls. The touchpad on the AppleTV remote is not good.  I noticed yesterday using Hulu on a Roku that the Roku remote is an ABSOLUTE JOY compared to the Apple remote. (Using the Remote app is better, but still not good.)
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 25 of 56
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Do other voice assistance enable separate preferences for different users?

Being able to absolutely identify different users absolutely reliably seems a tall order for consumer products. Getting that wrong would mean the possibility of one user accessing another's information.

I'm also in the 'Hey' Not a Fan Camp. It's not always rude, to my thinking, but still sounds off-putting, and feels tedious. Saying 'Alexa...' and whatever command feels so much more natural. I'd like to have the same with Siri.

I'd also like Siri to be more consistent with short answers. I don't need the run down on what was just implemented, just get it done. I've noticed a few more 'OK' and 'Done' answers and appreciate that.

More deep control of OS functions would be nice too. Obviously there's a security issue with too much control, but more would be appreciated.

But Siri still needs work on what it's supposedly able to do currently. It needs its hearing checked, often responding to questions not asked or commands not given.

And Siri needs more autonomy, to do be able to do basic (or more basic) things without an internet connection.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 26 of 56
    I'd mostly prefer Siri being scrapped. It is a waste of time effort and a Mac users intelligence. It's plugged in to crappy old code like DevCALDev which can't handle multiple timed events in a single 24hr period. Siri's problems are very similar to those which the ill-fated Newton suffered from. Asking Siri to do anything beyond the most obviously mundane is like using a first generation Mac from way back when...
  • Reply 27 of 56
    How about something even more simple. “Hey Siri, navigate to my next appointment” seems too hard at the moment for it. Also correcting pronounciation of company names - no matter how hard I try it will only correct first and last names. 
  • Reply 28 of 56
    I'd be pleased to just get a weather report that is useful. Sure, it's going to be 60 and sunny, but she won't tell you the wind is going to blow 30MPH. She also doesn't give things like winter storm warnings. How about integrating with maps and traffic so I can ask how long its going to take to drive to work (which can vary by over an hour where I'm at). Don't even get me started on home kit integration which is literally worse than useless. I have an ecobee thermostat and the only thing Sire has every managed to do is revert it to default settings when I was trying to bump the heat up 2deg.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    I'd like to see Apple fix my three biggest annoyances with Siri:
    1. It needs an internet connection for things that shouldn't require an internet connection, like creating a reminder. I think of tons of stuff hiking, and Siri is useless.
    2. It needs to get much better at understanding what I say. It misunderstands me about 50% of the time.
    3. It needs a much better sense of context. When I say "Remind Me to Call Jan", I don't want a reminder to "Call" dated January first.

frantisekpatchythepirate
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    I'd mostly prefer Siri being scrapped. It is a waste of time effort and a Mac users intelligence. It's plugged in to crappy old code like DevCALDev which can't handle multiple timed events in a single 24hr period. Siri's problems are very similar to those which the ill-fated Newton suffered from. Asking Siri to do anything beyond the most obviously mundane is like using a first generation Mac from way back when...
    Ok well, that certainly isn't going to happen. Siri is too crucial. It is a big feature on literally all of Apple's main products. It is the ONLY way to interface with the HomePod. Siri isn't going anywhere.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    I haven't used Siri since the beginning very much, partly since I found the various keyboard, touch and mouse interfaces much quicker and much more effective. I've continued to keep away from her because of reading various reports of her poor performance - why waste time flogging a dead horse?

Here's a recent experimental example (iOS 11.3 (15E216) on iPhone 7 Plus) :

Me: "Hey Siri"

Siri appears

Me: "Please turn yourself off"

Siri: reply along the lines of "I can't do that, you have to do that in settings" - then, "I hope that you haven't got another assistant"

Me: "You're hopeless"

Siri: "I thought not".

Admittedly, I threw her a something of a non sequitur, but still...

Until I turned her off, she also would occasionally pop up even when I had said nothing like "Hey Siri". It always happened when in conversation with a real person.

Maybe Apple is going to get rid of voice control altogether. For a company that is supposedly rolling in money, they certainly don't seem to be investing in much in the way of software engineers/programmers/sensible designers. I find that disturbing.

And what's happened to my past comments on AI? At my last login, it was reset to zero.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    Having said the above, using her to turn on the torch as suggested in the article, and other deeper level stuff, as suggested by a commenter, could be handy. You can add getting herself to turn herself off to that list.

And definitely a seamless experience across ALL devices!
  • Reply 33 of 56
    j3luntj3lunt Posts: 2member
    How are there no comments on improving Siri while driving??

I am constantly distracted from maps during my drives. When I need to make a call, "hey Siri call home." I am not returned back into my map application. I have to stare at a number pad.

What's worse is that after the call is done, my phone goes to sleep! Now I have to pick the phone up, FaceID it, choose "I'm not driving", engage maps again, and then be on my way.

My iPhone knows I am driving. Shouldn't it make the call and dump me back to maps? Maybe let me say something like, "Hey Siri, call home and return to maps."

And I'll take my comments off the air.
    edited April 2018 frantisekpatchythepiratezoetmb
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Ok well, that certainly isn't going to happen. Siri is too crucial. It is a big feature on literally all of Apple's main products. It is the ONLY way to interface with the HomePod. Siri isn't going anywhere.
    Siri, sir, is not a big feature. Big features feature bigly. Siri's comprehension is not dissimilar to a drunk who is high on LSD. Siri is the computing equivalent of a person hard of hearing and suffering irreversible dementia. Apple needs to start afresh. Rip all Siri code completely from their products and start over. There has to be startup companies or private individuals who have prototype voice recognition code which is way beyond Siri's current capabilities. I remember when early Mac's had poor voice recognition and dictation prefs which performed almost as well as Siri does today and in some instances was better. 
    williamlondonpatchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 56
    ascii said:
    Some good ideas there! 

I would like to see it answer to "Computer?" instead of "Hey Siri!" I was taught growing up that yelling "Hey!" was rude. And using the brand name all the time ("Siri") makes me feel like a shill. One of the rules of product design is to make the customer feel good, but this product makes me feel bad before I've even stated my query.

It would be nice to be able to customize that wake up phrase entirely.  Yes, I know some people would change it to "Hey, sexy..." or "Wake up, b---h..." but still.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    That’s it? This is a very lame list of suggestions.  What about making Siri actually smart instead of just responding to your questions? She doesn’t learn anything at the moment.  

The only smart feature that is currently available I can think of is travel time alerts for appointments, as they take traffic conditions into account. Otherwise she’s dumb as f...

One small example: I ask her directions to a store. Siri, in all her wisdom, suggests a store on the other side of the world. So I lookup the store by typing the name. Two minutes later I ask Siri again and she again points me to the other side of the world. She’s not learning anything and remains as frustrating to deal with. 

I don’t know about Alexa or google Home as I don’t use those but Siri is not “behind” in terms of capabilities, she’s just not smart. By a long stretch.
    williamlondonzoetmb
  • Reply 37 of 56
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    ajminnj said:
    mike1 said:
    "First, one could just holler "Hey Siri!" into a room where the iPhone has been misplaced. Siri could them respond in a loud ping or some other audio cue to help the phone be located."

Isn't this how Siri normally works?

"Siri currently can change many different settings on your phone, like disabling Bluetooth. It doesn't, however, have the ability to toggle the flashlight."

If I'm holding the phone to use as a flashlight, why would I need Siri to turn on the flashlight?!

No, when you say Hey, Siri she will wait for you to say a command. After a few moments, she will say something like "I'm listening". What I'm looking for is like a loud pinging tone akin to when you use your Apple Watch or Find My iPhone. Siri doesn't make any noises this loud.

You could say the same thing about almost everything Siri can do. If I'm holding the phone, why do I need Siri to toggle off the WiFi? If I'm holding the phone, why do I need Siri to text someone for me? It's partially a consistency thing part accessibility thing. If the phone is unlocked, I'm not sure my grandmother would know to open Control Center and find the flashlight toggle, but she does use Siri most of the time.

I am not sure that I like this solution, but I agree with the concept.  Maybe, "Hey Siri, Where are you?" would be better, so it actually has a command to trigger the ping.
    Took the letters off my keyboard.
  • Reply 38 of 56

Siri list

Route video to the TV screen

Route video to my iPhone

Siri talk with me

Show me pictures from last month in the tv

One by one

Page forward

Page backwards

Keep paging

Faster

Slower

Shuffle

Restart

Finished

Slide them

Flash them

Fade them

Pause

Identify faces

Zoom in

Zoom out

Move left

Move right

Original size

Select my video playlist roll

Play two minutes of each video

Shuffle two minutes of each video

Nice

Mark this section

Shuffle highlights of each video

Show me my heart rate today

Listen Siri

That was the doorbell

That was the fire alarm

When I’m not home and the doorbell rings send me a message

When I’m not home and the fire alarm rings send me a message

Siri I’m leaving listen for unusual sounds

Siri I’m home

Siri use my camera

Siri release my camera

Picture

Snap

Siri use my gimbal

Move left

Move up

Find my face

Track my face

Video

Snapshot

Watch the room

If anything changes send me a note

Siri listen to NPR today

If you hear astronaut send me a note

Siri read me Moby Dick

Add illustrations for each major paragraph before each section

Siri project yourself

Siri project yourself as me

Siri project yourself as my sister

Siri project yourself as Lady Gaga

Siri project yourself as a skeleton

Siri show me CNN

Siri translate tv into Spanish I can Read

Siri translate TV into Spanish I can see

frantisekwilliamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 56
    If you are healthy you have many wishes. If ill you have only one. Be healthy.

If you do not have Siri in your language, you have only one wish....

Accuracy anytime
    Listen whether will follow another command for some seconds
    Be able open settings for apps. It works 1 of 5 attempts even command is recognized.
    + many of mentioned .
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 40 of 56
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Multi-user support on iPads. iPhones are typically used by a single person, but iPads are often shared amongst family members. Separate login/apps/customizations/etc. for adults/kids.
    williamlondon