Apple destroys Facebook in poll about trustworthiness with personal data

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2018
Amid the furor over Silicon Valley companies mishandling personal data, Apple is very near the top of the charts for the most trusted company, with the majority of respondents pointing the finger at Facebook for being the least trust-worthy.

There have been various incidents over the years in which Apple has earned the distrust of its customers. Apple Maps. The 2010 antenna controversy. The battery-throttling that came to light last year. But according to a recent survey, it appears Apple is much more trusted by customers than certain other tech giants.

A Recode survey released Tuesday asked American respondents which tech companies are trusted the least with your personal information. In the survey, 56 percent answered Facebook. Google was a distant second, with 5 percent, with Uber and Twitter each getting 3 percent.

As for Apple, it tied for sixth with two other companies, Snap and Amazon, with just 2 percent. Recode added that 20 percent selected none of the above.

The survey is certainly a sign that Facebook is in a heap of trouble, as result of missteps by CEO Mark Zuckerberg and other decision makers when it comes to data security and transparency. It also indicates that, at this moment, user trust in Apple is relatively high, and that the throttling controversy hasn't had a long-lasting effect.

But it's also clear that there's some recency bias at work here. A major reason for Facebook ranking so highly in this survey is that Facebook is currently all over the news for things it has done to earn user distrust, a controversy that is fresh in everyone's mind. If the survey had been taken during the height of the Apple throttling story, or the day after some flashpoint in last year's Travis Kalanick brouhaha at Uber, the survey results may very well have turned out quite a bit differently for those companies.

A survey by The Verge last October, while not precisely the same question, found that around 15 percent each answered that they "greatly distrust" Facebook and Twitter, while around ten percent gave that answer for Apple. In 2013, Apple dropped out of the top 20 in the Ponemon Institute's ranking of most trusted companies in terms of privacy.

Apple periodically suffers in public polling from the "never Apple" crowd in surveys such as these.
ihatescreennames

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I’m going to continue to use FB because it’s the only reasonable way for me to stay connected to many people, but people should know what that they are the product and how to reasonably secure themselves from run he mill data thrives.

2) It’s hard to put faith in a pool that puts Twitter and Apple so close.

3) I didn’t see this referenced but the “logic” speaks volumes.

edited April 2018 muthuk_vanalingamMuntzracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 60
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Well, that poll is kind of like asking 'who do you trust to keep a secret, a mass murder, or your priest?'
  • Reply 3 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Amazon wasn't that bad.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I feel if the question was phrased ‘which one of these companies cares most about privacy’, Apple would come out on top. Also, that Snap and Apple scored the same throws up alarm bells. No friggin way. It’s laughable.
    edited April 2018 SpamSandwichMuntzwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 60
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    Microsoft is better than Apple!?!
    mwhiteiosginowatto_cobracharlesatlasjony0
  • Reply 6 of 60
    viclauyyc said:
    Yeah and Snap is equal to Apple. Pull the other one. This poll is nonsense.
    mwhitemuthuk_vanalingamiosginobaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The moral of the story: Polls may be manipulated to “prove” literally anything.
    zeus423macxpressmuthuk_vanalingamiosginoirelandlostkiwiwatto_cobramonstrosityjony0
  • Reply 8 of 60
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Funny like companies like Uber and Microsoft are so close to Apple on the survey despite gathering prohibited info such as device ID# and loosing gold keys for their back doors. People in the US have gold fish memory...
    mwhiteMuntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 60
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I’ve come to the conclusion that Mark Zuckerberg is asking for Facebook to be regulated by the Federal government now as a means to gain protected monopoly status. He’ll make large donations to politicians and essentially become another unelected and untouchable arm of government which monitors and reports on people who are determined to be enemies of the state.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 60
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    He wants regulation to the extent that it would apply to all players...he doesn't want to make changes in FB only, putting him at a competitive disadvantage to other ad/data driven entities. If he has to eat dog food, he wants everyone else to eat dog food with him.
    muthuk_vanalingamMuntzTomElostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Would have been interesting to see Instagram or WhatsApp on the list of options.
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 60
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Agreed, it's all in how you ask the question and collect your data.
    SpamSandwichTomEwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 60
    I’m really sprised google were so low down the list. Although 23 and me are not officially linked to google, it was hardly supprising after years of saying they wouldn’t sell data from the profiles the determined, they eventually said that that was exactly their business model. What’s that got to do with Google you ask? Well the original CEO of 23 and Me was married to Google’s other co-founder Sergey Mikhaylovich Brin. 

edited April 2018 MuntzTomEwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    viclauyyc said:

That is because they are not smart enough to abuse your personal data...
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 60
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Soli said:
    1) I’m going to continue to use FB because it’s the only reasonable way for me to stay connected to many people, but people should know what that they are the product and how to reasonably secure themselves from run he mill data thrives.

There is a thing called a phone which is really good at allow you to talk to people and share important things in real time.

The only difference between all these companies from a survey stand point and Facebook is blind faith, People are not blind to Facebook anymore, they now know what they wish they did not know. For all the other companies people still do not know so ignorance is bliss.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 60
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    The moral of the story: polls reflect the current public opinions, whether you like it or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 60
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    maestro64 said:
    Soli said:

There is a thing called a phone which is really good at allow you to talk to people and share important things in real time.
    That's about the dumbest reply I was expected to see, but I didn't expect it to be from you.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    maestro64 said:
    Soli said:

The only difference between all these companies from a survey stand point and Facebook is blind faith, People are not blind to Facebook anymore, they now know what they wish not to know. For all the other company people still do not know so ignorance is bliss.
    As well as phone, I find email pretty useful too. :)  I just don't get why anyone needs FB to 'keep in touch'.  
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Amen. Saw a poll on that once.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    viclauyyc said:
    Something hinky there for sure.  My first thought was people hadn't heard of Microsoft so there was no answer there ;)
    watto_cobra