First look: iPhone X (PRODUCT)RED Leather Folio Case

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2018
Though it's not scheduled to hit store shelves until Friday, we got our hands on Apple's (PRODUCT)RED folio for iPhone X, a bold color option to the already fantastic case lineup. Check out our early hands-on, as well as a comparison to other (PRODUCT)RED cases.

The (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 and 8 Plus launch this Friday, but unfortunately there is no red equivalent for iPhone X. At least not yet.

Instead, Apple is launching a (PRODUCT)RED version of their popular folio case. We got our hands on one a few days early to check out.

The new folio is exactly like the others, made from a specially tanned European leather, but dyed in a beautiful red finish.

One of the best features of the folio is its ability to wake and lock the iPhone X when the flap is opened or closed. Thus far, only a few third-party cases (like the SurfacePad by Twelve South) have adopted this functionality.

Inside the front flap of the folio is a pair of pockets, one designed to fit a few credit cards, the other larger for some ancillary cash or business cards.

We tried the original folio for a few months, and while the leather held up quite impressively over time, the material does start to stretch. We recommend not over-stuffing the pockets in front unless you are prepared to keep them that full.

If you'd like to pick one up, the (PRODUCT)RED iPhone X folio is available directly from Apple for $99.

Aside from the folio, Apple also makes silicone and leather snap-on cases for the iPhone X. The latter two are also available for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and older iPhone models.

You can view all of Apple's (PRODUCT)RED accessories, which includes the cases, watch bands, and special edition Beats products on their (RED) landing page. (PRODUCT)RED Apple accessories are available at the company's online and brick-and-mortar stores, as well as third-party resellers, such as Amazon and B&H Photo.

Apple donates a portion of proceeds from all (PRODUCT)RED purchases to Global Fund, which helps fund HIV/AIDS grants that provide testing, counseling, treatment and prevention programs. Since partnering with (RED) in 2006, Apple has donated more than $160 million to the Global Fund.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Looks like DEADPOOL!!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    jagbatth said:
    Looks like DEADPOOL!!
    That is what we need. An official Apple Deadpool case.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,312member
    I have a good quality non-Apple leather portfolio case. I love how it looks, feels in my hand, and how easily it goes in and out of my pocket. However, my leather portfolio case makes taking photos more awkward and for some reason the leather case causes the iPhone’s screen to fog over with splotches when I place the phone w/case in my pocket. The splotches wipe away easily with a microfiber cloth but it’s annoying nonetheless. I periodically switch cases but the annoying aspects of the leather portfolio keep it out of the rotation longer than my other cases.

Anyone with similar experiences with Apple’s leather portfolio case?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    dewme said:
    I have a good quality non-Apple leather portfolio case. I love how it looks, feels in my hand, and how easily it goes in and out of my pocket. However, my leather portfolio case makes taking photos more awkward and for some reason the leather case causes the iPhone’s screen to fog over with splotches when I place the phone w/case in my pocket. The splotches wipe away easily with a microfiber cloth but it’s annoying nonetheless. I periodically switch cases but the annoying aspects of the leather portfolio keep it out of the rotation longer than my other cases.

I can see that being an issue. I don't see that with Apple's. What I actually like about folio cases when it comes to photos, is it actually acts as a sort of hood. I use the volume button as the shutter, and the front flap of the folio keeps the glare off my screen in the sun!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    dewme said:

I have been using the black folio since day one and so far no issues whatsoever, including the one you described above. BTW, I don't put anything in its pockets though. And the only reason I am using folio case is to protect the screen and earpiece speaker from lint, dust, etc when in my pocket or in car and it serves the purpose very well. Not to mentioned it protected my iPhone X from 3 falls, and all three falls were similar (while stepping out of my very high SUV). I normally clean it with microfibre cloth that is slightly damped in distilled water. I am reluctant to use any chemicals though.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mavemufcmavemufc Posts: 326member
    It is really nice and Red is my favourite colour but the price is a big no for me.
  • Reply 7 of 8

I don't find this Red one that appealing, but I'm sure it is a finely made piece of work. I had a tan Apple Leather Case for my iPhone 6 Plus. It is a very nicely made case.

Having said that, after I got the Jet Black iPhone, I started opting for transparent cases. I find them to be a good compromise on showing off the beauty of the iPhones and protecting it from my clumsy hands.

I'm not the kind of guy who'd be able to handle an iPhone without the case.

• Reply 8 of 8
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Beautiful, but at $99, it's a plain NO for me.