How to see which applications on your Mac are 32-bit and won't be supported in the future

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Flash?  Seriously Flash?

Get that security nightmare off your computer! 
    I don't have Flash player on any browser but I do still use Animate (formerly Flash Professional). I haven't found anything else that can do what I use it for. We have these HD TVs in our trade show booth. They are installed vertically and we run animations on them. In Animate you can script executables to run full screen and rotate them to run vertically. Animate is really nice to program in and all the text is Postscript so you can zoom it or use transparency and it is perfectly crisp. You can embed just about anything, loop videos, etc. Is there any other application that can do what Animate can do?
  • Reply 22 of 50
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    goldenclaw said:
    Let's say you have a 32-bit app on your computer as opposed to 64-bit.

So what? Is it really that big of a deal? It seems this Kool-Aid is rather strong. If it's that big of a problem we should be able to run it extra sandboxed. Or something.

Apple is really not making people happy in the enterprise and education spaces with these decisions. We can't buy new hardware/apps every couple years just because Apple wants us to feed their business model. Meanwhile Windows 7 is chugging along quite happily with end of support a couple years away. I *like* being able to download or install an app I have paid money for, and have it actually work.
    Anybody how cites using W7 as a business model is an idiot. Anybody doing 'business' with that model that includes the security of other people's data, is negligent. Lucky for them criminal liability is as yet, near nil. I hope that changes, similar to the Enron fiasco.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    MaxLeopoldMaxLeopold Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    In System Information, I can still find these Apps on 32bit: Apple's DVD Player in v5.8 // WebEx // Crestron AirMedia // LogMeIn // Wormhole ( for j5Create USB Transfer Cable ) & in Activity Monitor - I have only the aforementioned "DropBox Process"
    edited February 2018
  • Reply 24 of 50
    I have loads of 32 bit apps apparently. Things that probably won't be updated, and for which there will probably never be alternatives for. So if this is right, I'll be sticking with High Sierra for the foreseeable. Just as I'm sticking with iOS 10 for the same reason.
    davenSpamSandwichbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 50
    That is only half true how to check it. You are only checking what is installed in "Application" folder and this not only location where applications may be installed. I have private folder that contains applications that do not need even App Store, but they are downloaded from vendors (yes there are open source vendors that do not consider any paid Apple stores and we will always use them regardless if Apple likes it or not).
  • Reply 26 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    That is only half true how to check it. You are only checking what is installed in "Application" folder and this not only location where applications may be installed. I have private folder that contains applications that do not need even App Store, but they are downloaded from vendors (yes there are open source vendors that do not consider any paid Apple stores and we will always use them regardless if Apple likes it or not).
    Should check anything installed. Note the "obtained from" column in the report.

Will check Steam apps that don't live in the Application folder, and I've got two apps on my desktop, and they're on the list.
    edited April 2018 longpath
  • Reply 27 of 50
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I don't know why people are surprised by Apple going to 64-bit only on the Mac.  They just went through this on iOS.  I have my 32-bit Apps all in a folder, and a couple of them have been updated to 64-bit and I pulled them out of that folder to be used once again.  But most will never see an update.  That kind of sucks, but on the other hand, out with the old, check out some new apps!!!  I see the same happening with the Mac also.   Most of your stuff should continue to work.  
  • Reply 28 of 50
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    lkrupp said:
    Haven’t and won’t upgrade to High Sierra. Not gonna happen.
    Live in the past forever, stuck in time for all eternity.
    Apple is really not making people happy in the enterprise and education spaces with these decisions. We can't buy new hardware/apps every couple years just because Apple wants us to feed their business model. Meanwhile Windows 7 is chugging along quite happily with end of support a couple years away. I *like* being able to download or install an app I have paid money for, and have it actually work.
    This is poppycock. It’s not about Apple’s “business model” it’s about fast, secure, modern computing. Same thing happened with shift from win16 to win32. Deal.

And what’s your source that this is upsetting to enterprise? I’m in enterprise, and we routinely replace our software and hardware. More than I would at home. 
  • Reply 29 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Not too worried. Most of my 32 bit apps are crap, like Hallmark Card Studio, Print Shop 3, and Toast 14.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 30 of 50
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    Really appalled to see so much of Adobe's most recent Creative Suite with a No.... Just as shocked to see Maxon in the same camp....
    rotateleftbyte
  • Reply 31 of 50
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    *cough* Steam *cough*
    Can't be all that hard for Valve to update surely?
  • Reply 32 of 50
    Every app in my Mac is 64 bit, except everything from epson.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    I'm still shell-shocked from seeing Flash on a current Mac... on top of that, on someone's Mac who should've known better than have it on, plus advertising it to the whole AI community.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I'm still shell-shocked from seeing Flash on a current Mac... on top of that, on someone's Mac who should've known better than have it on, plus advertising it to the whole AI community.
    We do have test machines for all kinds of stuff, you know.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Thank goodness, Stickies is 64bit.

That said, I've got a huge pile of 32bit apps, some of which I fear won't be updated (classic games, even recent ones). Aside from those, I'm actually looking at bit forward to a big purge of junk. Might even start fresh with my next Mac and not do migration assistant at all, which sounds like a horrible process, but would get rid of 15 years of cruft buildup.
    I can’t live without the MacOS Stickies! 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 36 of 50
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Here is a step AI may want to add to the article.  If you click on the 32/64 bit header in the list, the app will sort by 32/64 bit which makes finding 32 bit apps easier.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Would be good if the Mac App Store showed any 32-bit apps in your purchase history with a little icon (e.g. warning road sign). That way you could tell without having to install it.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Thank goodness, Stickies is 64bit.

That said, I've got a huge pile of 32bit apps, some of which I fear won't be updated (classic games, even recent ones). Aside from those, I'm actually looking at bit forward to a big purge of junk. Might even start fresh with my next Mac and not do migration assistant at all, which sounds like a horrible process, but would get rid of 15 years of cruft buildup.
    I can’t live without the MacOS Stickies! 
    Multiple people in my office have actual stickies hanging off their monitors. I keep wanting to tell them, "There's an App for that!™"
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Not sure if this is a stupid question... but could I potentially create a Parallels VM using an older version of macOS to run 32bit apps, while the parent macOS version no longer allows them? That seems like it would be a relatively painless way to be able to access really old/classic stuff occasionally, maybe not for high productivity apps. Thinking more like it'd be fun to boot up old games and such once in a while.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    volcan said:
    Flash?  Seriously Flash?

Get that security nightmare off your computer! 
    I don't have Flash player on any browser but I do still use Animate (formerly Flash Professional). I haven't found anything else that can do what I use it for. We have these HD TVs in our trade show booth. They are installed vertically and we run animations on them. In Animate you can script executables to run full screen and rotate them to run vertically. Animate is really nice to program in and all the text is Postscript so you can zoom it or use transparency and it is perfectly crisp. You can embed just about anything, loop videos, etc. Is there any other application that can do what Animate can do?
    That has nothing to do with running the Flash Player plugin in your browser, which is a security vulnerability. Running an executable in a kiosk machine has nothing in common with that as it's a) not running in your browser and b) your Flash content not written by a 3rd party bad actor.

And the fonts get converted to SVGs, not Postscript, fyi.