Apple picks Oliver Schusser to head up Apple Music worldwide

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has promoted Oliver Schusser to the position of VP of Apple Music & International Content, effectively putting him in charge of Apple Music globally.

The change was announced to Apple workers by the company's senior VP of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue. Schusser has been with Apple for 14 years, most recently leading teams in 38 international offices. He's also said to have been instrumental in the company's Shazam takeover, which has yet to earn regulatory approval.

Schusser will have to move from London to California, and even then spend time in both Apple Park in Cupertino and offices in Culver City, Variety reported. His replacement will be marketing executive Tracey Hannelly, who has been with Apple since 2007.

The elevation of Schusser won't have any effect on the role of Jimmy Iovine, who joined Apple after the company's Beats takeover in 2014, a Variety source said. Iovine's exact role at Apple Music has been unclear, but he's known for his music industry connections and has at least been making deals for content.

Iovine recently confirmed rumors that he's planning to step back into a consulting role. That will remove him from day-to-day affairs at Apple Music, and may leave it to others to secure the exclusives and label deals that the service is dependent on.

The platform recently reached 40 million paid subscribers. Although it could be poised to eclipse Spotify in the U.S. this summer, the latter has over 71 million paid customers globally, and some 159 million active listeners in total.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The sooner all Beats-related flotsam and jetsam are left behind, the better.
    cornchipDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Didn’t realize Shazam deal was pending..
  • Reply 3 of 7
    As someone who buys music using iTunes and has no intention of ever renting Beats Rental Rap d.b.a Apple Music, please ask him to take away the constant nags for Apple music when I try to play my content on my iPhone.

Do not have Apple Music
    Do not intend to have Apple Music.
    Do not want anything to do with rental music.
    Do not want anything to do with Beats or it's offspring.

The biggest waste of $3 Billion I can think of by a public company.
    edited April 2018 YvLy
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I'm happy to have Apple Music and I really like being able to queue up any kind of music. Sometimes I'm sad when some tunes, eps, albums aren't there, or even artists, but can't do nothing about that short of nagging the artist / labels. Haven't gotten to that yet. I'd like to listen to Beats One more, but it takes so long to start playing..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    As someone who buys music using iTunes and has no intention of ever renting Beats Rental Rap d.b.a Apple Music, please ask him to take away the constant nags for Apple music when I try to play my content on my iPhone.
    Look in settings on your iPhone, Music tab.
    I don’t get any “nagging”.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    JanNL said:
    Look in settings on your iPhone, Music tab.
    I don’t get any “nagging”.
    I turned off Apple’s subscription music feature on the iOS Apple Music app and I’ve gotten pop-ups twice imploring me to subscribe. I don’t want it and that’s final.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I was pretty much like David Gregory when I first heard of the news of the Beats deal and then the Apple Music integration. Now that it's done and integrated, I think of Beats as only sets of headphones that I'll never buy (I don't like any headphones -- but i have bought AirPods for medical purposes), and like Apple Match was, Apple Music is just an extension of iTunes: I still prefer buying music, but sometimes I just want to listen to, e.g., a smart playlist based on a year's top singles, and then Apple Music is just filling in the blanks. Just like the TV app on Apple TV's Watch now can find me free versions of a movie i want to watch in addition to paid iTunes version