Our biggest gripes with Apple's 2018 iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I don't understand why anyone is upset by an article that details why this education-focused iPad is able to be considerably less expensive than their other models. I appreciate the research into how this seemingly identical looking iPad is able to undercut their other models so drastically despite including a digitizer. For those that are butt hurt by this article you really should try to look things objectively. Prior to this article I thought that the 2018 model would be a great replacement for many people that I know with iPads, but now I see that there are limitations that will likely lead me to suggest Apple's more expensive options to get that improved user experience.

But one must wonder.... is Apple disappointed in itself for not being able to keep their hardware fully leading-edge with each release? Or are they just after the dollars after all?
    1) That's like saying Apple is disappointed with MacBook and Mac mini updates because they're not using all the same leading-edge technology as the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

2) Of course they're after a profit.
    Many have explained why VERY clearly.
    My own explanation was:
    Denigrating a Toyota Camry because it doesn't have the same features as a Lexus ES is, frankly, ridiculous.  If he had posed the title and the tone of the video as to why one might prefer a Lexus to a Toyota, it would have been fine.  But instead he chose to trash a very fine product.

Further, in today's world, things get twisted to serve a purpose.  I won't be surprised if I see an article or video coming out "Apple Insider trashes new iPad -- thinks its junk".

If I wasn't more knowledgeable of Apple products and I read this review from a supposed Apple loyalist, I would think was junk too.  But, having bought one (for my grandson) and used it, I know that this video is very misleading. 
    I didn't get any of that from the article, and I'm not sure I'd compare the an inexpensive Toyota to an expensive Lexus when there's no direct comparison since those automobiles are very not mistakable to the buyer. Hell, even with VW and Audi the similarities seem to end with the chassis, which the buyer can't see.

You mean being an "Apple loyalist." Well now you have a single article that will note why your iPad isn't the same as a nearly identical looking educational iPad if you ever need to assert why your purchase asserts your loyalty.
    edited April 2018 gatorguy
  • Reply 42 of 76
    kbeat said:
    Really odd editorial on AppleInsider. Just below a header for a review proclaiming the new iPad an absolute steal, there is this article suggesting it's not worth the tradeoffs in 2018. It can't really be both. 
    Sure it can. It all depends on what features are important to the buyer.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Soli said:
    kbeat said:
    Really odd editorial on AppleInsider. Just below a header for a review proclaiming the new iPad an absolute steal, there is this article suggesting it's not worth the tradeoffs in 2018. It can't really be both. 
    Sure it can. It all depends on what features are important to the buyer.
    That's what it boils down to. It's handy that AI has pointed out the downsides (as well as the upsides in an earlier piece).

The title of this piece says 'our gripes'. Some users might consider them gripes and others might not. The most important thing is that they have been clearly laid out on the table and saved us a bit of work.

Some people just get defensive whenever anything negative is said about Apple. Luckily the majority can see the point of the article and put it into perspective.
    gatorguyasdasd
  • Reply 44 of 76
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I wish a VW drove like a Porsche for the same $25K.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Important caveat about the Apple Pencil performance: it's going to vary depending on the app that you're using. I have the original 12.9" iPad Pro (which is the equivalent of the 2018 iPad for Pencil tech), and you're typically going to find an inverse relationship between lag and complexity of program. It's actually the simpler and less professionally oriented apps that are the MOST likely to have lag. The attention to programming the performance just isn't there. More complex and professionally oriented programs have taken the time to get it right and usually won't have noticeable lag.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    1983 said:
    If the 2018 iPad was offered for a little less...299 Dollars it would be considered a steal, despite its compromises. Anyway once the new iPad Pros with their Face ID and other enhancements come out later in the year. Next years basic iPad will likely finally incorporate a lot of the features mentioned in this article, that it currently doesn’t have.
    You just reiterated Moore's Law...   We've known that since the 80's.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 76
    wiseywisey Posts: 31member
    Please, comparison of the iPad 2018 with the iPad Pro 2017 is not fair.  Not only is the iPad 2018 half the price of the iPad Pro 2017, it is a significant upgrade of the iPad 2017 for a lower price.  That is the comparison that should have been made.  From a business perspective, Apple does not want the iPad 2018 to siphon off sales that would otherwise go to the iPad Pro.  The fact that it is not as good is consistent with the lower price and the absence of the Pro designation.    
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 76
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yet another example of cognitive dissonance in the Apple blogosphere. You wanted cheap? You got cheap? But that’s not good enough either?
    SoliGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 76
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I don't understand why anyone is upset by an article that details why this education-focused iPad is able to be considerably less expensive than their other models. I appreciate the research into how this seemingly identical looking iPad is able to undercut their other models so drastically despite including a digitizer. For those that are butt hurt by this article you really should try to look things objectively. Prior to this article I thought that the 2018 model would be a great replacement for many people that I know with iPads, but now I see that there are limitations that will likely lead me to suggest Apple's more expensive options to get that improved user experience.

But one must wonder.... is Apple disappointed in itself for not being able to keep their hardware fully leading-edge with each release? Or are they just after the dollars after all?
    1) That's like saying Apple is disappointed with MacBook and Mac mini updates because they're not using all the same leading-edge technology as the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro.

My own explanation was:
    Denigrating a Toyota Camry because it doesn't have the same features as a Lexus ES is, frankly, ridiculous.  If he had posed the title and the tone of the video as to why one might prefer a Lexus to a Toyota, it would have been fine.  But instead he chose to trash a very fine product.

Further, in today's world, things get twisted to serve a purpose.  I won't be surprised if I see an article or video coming out "Apple Insider trashes new iPad -- thinks its junk".

If I wasn't more knowledgeable of Apple products and I read this review from a supposed Apple loyalist, I would think was junk too.  But, having bought one (for my grandson) and used it, I know that this video is very misleading. 
    I didn't get any of that from the article, and I'm not sure I'd compare the an inexpensive Toyota to an expensive Lexus when there's no direct comparison since those automobiles are very not mistakable to the buyer. Hell, even with VW and Audi the similarities seem to end with the chassis, which the buyer can't see.

You mean being an "Apple loyalist." Well now you have a single article that will note why your iPad isn't the same as a nearly identical looking educational iPad if you ever need to assert why your purchase asserts your loyalty.
    "I didn't get any of that from the article"
    From the comments here, you stand pretty much alone in that assertion.  And, if you don't have time to actually watch the video, perhaps just read the title: 

further, my analogy of trashing the Toyota Camry because it doesn't measure up to the high standards of the Lexus ES is entirely appropriate because, both this video and that analogy are comparing a "consumer grade" product to a high end luxury product costing twice made by the same manufacturer -- and then using that comparison to trash the consumer grade product.   That's just stupid.

I would respond to your last paragraph -- but it makes no sense.

StrangeDayswatto_cobraPickUrPoison
  • Reply 50 of 76
    zonezone Posts: 71member
    It's a budget iPad!!! Not hard to figure out? My budget entry model car had fewer features than the top of the line version. I mean GEE that's so wrong!!! Things I hate about entry-level model cars vs top of the line versions. Come on!
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 76
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    This junk iPad needs a nickname
    iPad SE.

I get that it costs half as much as a Pro, and that’s exactly what they were going for, but non laminated display, really? Back when I had my iPad 2 and 4, I absolutely LOVED the feel of the solid glass display. You tapped on it with your fingernail and it sounded solid. When the first Air came out, I bought that one. Big mistake! Just the feel and hollow sound of that display was a huge disappointment. And if you pressed harder, you could actually see the cover glass bend. I hated that thing. I tried out an Air 2 when they came out and was so happy to see they went back to the solid cover glass display, I traded up right then and there. I believe the Mini or Mini 2 had that same hollow screen. It just sounds so cheap. Stick with the laminated screen. 
    Think you have got this the wrong way around, the Airs had the laminated display not the iPad 2 or iPad 4
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 76
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    Bad article as it doesn’t reference the design and build choices against the target price point. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 76
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    The 2017 iPad was already a steal. The 2018 iPad for the same price is a double steal. That’s just how simple it is.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 76
    78Bandit78Bandit Posts: 238member
    Some of these things are value-engineering, but the non-laminated display in my view is a bad mistake by Apple, heavily affecting the ergonomics with pencil, touch and even viewing for not much benefit in profit. There was a time when 10 or 15 percent profit margins were regarded as exceptional and when Apple is trying to push things north of 50 with certain items they're really pushing their luck. When you consider what they're going up against in the education market it's kind of short-sighted.
    Says here Apple’s net profit margin is 21%:

http://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAPL/profit-margin/apple-inc-gross-operating-net-profit-margin-history
    Says here Apple's gross profit margin is 38.4% which is the one most often cited rather than net.  Even the chart you linked to shows that.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/apple-earnings-iphone-x-helps-drive-record-results

Gross margins on the iPhone were between 49% and 58% back in 2012 according to a court filing cited by CNet (the iPad was 23% - 32%).  I imagine they are still pretty close to that today.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-iphone-margins-hit-58-percent-nearly-double-ipads/

Of course you can cherry-pick whatever statistic you want to make your case, but it certainly helps to either use the same base as the other party or disclose you are looking at something different and state why you think it is a more appropriate measure.
    edited April 2018 gatorguy
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

My own explanation was:

From the comments here, you stand pretty much alone in that assertion.  And, if you don't have time to actually watch the video, perhaps just read the title: 

further, my analogy of trashing the Toyota Camry because it doesn't measure up to the high standards of the Lexus ES is entirely appropriate because, both this video and that analogy are comparing a "consumer grade" product to a high end luxury product costing twice made by the same manufacturer -- and then using that comparison to trash the consumer grade product.   That's just stupid.

I think you're really missing the point. Pretty much anyone can look at a $20k car and a $80k car and know which one is better than the other, even without knowing anything specific about either model. It's easily discernible in how they look, especially in your general and luxury brands from the same manufacturer example.

That's simply not the case with two 10" iPads, and if you look the 11" iPad Pro you're going to get people who think that you're paying an excessive amount more for less larger diagonal display. This article makes it very clear why this is a low-cost iPad for the education market. That shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Why so much animosity in making these basic comparisons? Is your self-professed "loyalist" attitude toward Apple so wrapped up in your identity that you really don't want anyone else to have their products unless they're wiling to pay a premium price for it? If you hate this iPad then you'd really hate my vision for getting less-expensive Macs into consumers' hands.

I really don't understand why anyone could be against an educational iPad. I think this was a sorely needed area and I'm glad Apple found a way to get this made… and with a digitizer, no less. I just hope it's popular enough to keep up the momentum for a long time to come.
    edited April 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 56 of 76
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    78Bandit said:
    Some of these things are value-engineering, but the non-laminated display in my view is a bad mistake by Apple, heavily affecting the ergonomics with pencil, touch and even viewing for not much benefit in profit. There was a time when 10 or 15 percent profit margins were regarded as exceptional and when Apple is trying to push things north of 50 with certain items they're really pushing their luck. When you consider what they're going up against in the education market it's kind of short-sighted.

http://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAPL/profit-margin/apple-inc-gross-operating-net-profit-margin-history
    Says here Apple's gross profit margin is 38.4% which is the one most often cited rather than net.  Even the chart you linked to shows that.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/apple-earnings-iphone-x-helps-drive-record-results

Gross margins on the iPhone were between 49% and 58% back in 2012 according to a court filing cited by CNet (the iPad was 23% - 32%).  I imagine they are still pretty close to that today.

https://www.cnet.com/news/apples-iphone-margins-hit-58-percent-nearly-double-ipads/

Of course you can cherry-pick whatever statistic you want to make your case, but it certainly helps to either use the same base as the other party or disclose you are looking at something different and state why you think it is a more appropriate measure.
    Net profits overall is the most appropriate judge of a company's profitability,

Photo twit is pushing his agenda by being mushed mouth about what he's talking about.

15% gross profit margin on one product has never been considered "good" for a tech firm, it's a good way to becoming bankrupt.

So, this is a LIE.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

My own explanation was:

I think you're really missing the point. Pretty much anyone can look at a $20k car and a $80k car and know which one is better than the other, even without knowing anything specific about either model. It's easily discernible in how they look, especially in your general and luxury brands from the same manufacturer example.

That's simply not the case with two 10" iPads, and if you look the 11" iPad Pro you're going to get people who think that you're paying an excessive amount more for less larger diagonal display. This article makes it very clear why this is a low-cost iPad for the education market. That shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Why so much animosity in making these basic comparisons? Is your self-professed "loyalist" attitude toward Apple so wrapped up in your identity that you really don't want anyone else to have their products unless they're wiling to pay a premium price for it? If you hate this iPad then you'd really hate my vision for getting less-expensive Macs into consumers' hands.

I really don't understand why anyone could be against an educational iPad. I think this was a sorely needed area and I'm glad Apple found a way to get this made… and with a digitizer, no less. I just hope it's popular enough to keep up the momentum for a long time to come.

I think you misunderstood GeorgeBMac's comment. He is NOT against budget iPad. He likes it. His criticism is against THIS article which to us (him/me/many other commenters in this thread) focusses exclusively on the negative aspects of the iPad 2018, to the extent that it gives an impression that it is a useless tablet. Apparently not you, the interpretation varies from person to person. His concern is about the misleading nature of the article, nothing else. And I concur with him, many others who commented on this topic as well.
    StrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 58 of 76
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

My own explanation was:

I think you misunderstood GeorgeBMac's comment. He is NOT against budget iPad. He likes it. His criticism is against THIS article which to us (him/me/many other commenters in this thread) focusses exclusively on the negative aspects of the iPad 2018, to the extent that it gives an impression that it is a useless tablet. Apparently not you, the interpretation varies from person to person. His concern is about the misleading nature of the article, nothing else. And I concur with him, many others who commented on this topic as well.
    I guess maybe Apple should never make a mainstream product...
    Because then people will complained it is crap when price isn’t a problem.
    Maybe it’s better to change an arm and a leg after all.

I mean think about it, when your famous YouTuber uploaded his 2-Terabyte fully spaced out MacBook Pro video, he complained that “A 4000 USD COMPUTER THATS NO FASTER THAN MY CUSTOM BUILD WORKSTATION WTF APPLE #EVILBUSINESS”, forgetting the fact that his “CUSTOM BUILD WORKSTATION” only has a 1080p monitor, crappy case, budget-friendly motherboard, and a storage that’s no bigger than 512G...

Then he got an iPad that has a performance that can still considered a mid-high tier, he said “everything else other than the performance is crap”.

I guess no rest for the Internet.
    Just kidding.
    edited April 2018 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 76
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    78Bandit said:

Yes except the guy I was replying to didn’t specify gross or net, he just made a vague claim. You specify gross but have to turn back time to 2012 to cite something near 50%. Which doesn’t make sense since he also claimed 10-15% was considered “exceptional”. So you’re saying a 15% gross margin is exceptional?

Yeah no. Try again. 
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

My own explanation was:

1) Based on your comment I do feel that I misunderstood George's reasoning, but I'm still perplexed by the negative comments. It's a lesser device in nearly every way. How else do you make a comparison without noting any of that? Should AI ignore its comparative shortcomings or should they use marketing speak to make it sound better than it really is? I'd say that would be misleading. This isn't a shady website pushing crappy used cars.

2) What specific statements that give you the impression that this iPad is "not fulfilling or not expected to achieve the intended purpose or desired outcome"? Based on this article I now have a much idea of what to expect from this iPad, why it's a bargain for $300, and why I would and wouldn't recommend it over more expensive options available, so I honestly don't see how anyone is coming away feeling as though they have less knowledge toward an informed purchase.
    edited April 2018 avon b7