Apple memo reveals 29 leakers caught last year, urges staff to stop leaking confidential i...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
     They should rot in jail.
    SpamSandwichtallest skilracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    What the F* ? This should be even strict law in democratic countries to protect there precious intellectual property, there bread and butter, there survival. I would even have government pass law to prosecute such employee to fine high amount and put them in prison for more than few years. When government or company employ you, they trust you, put roof over your family,food on table and pay bills and some more. You must not do anything that puts other co-workers in disadvantage situation and hurt there future. Once it was said in Apple, "don't F it up for others"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Soli said
    1) What are "Washington trial balloons"?
    A technique used for many years by just about every administration. Tell a reporter "off the record" "from an anonymous source" something they are thinking about doing. Then wait to see what the response is. If the public, and Congress are supportive, or at least not too upset about it, then go ahead and announce the plan. If there are howls from the Hill and protesters in the streets then deny that was ever the plan. Mind you the reporter has to be slightly in on it. They know who told them, but they have to keep that secret so as to allow the administration deniability.
    SpamSandwichking editor the grateSoliAlex1Nwatto_cobratoysandmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    pg4g0001 said:
    Jail time? Nice to know Apple think of this the same way they do treason.
    The punishment for treason is death, period. Not executing convicted traitors is a travesty.
    In all honesty, the criminal charges stuff in this leads me to question my purchasing decisions. 
    lol come the fuck on
    That takes this “leak” stuff from absurd to downright morally bankrupt.
    “Oh no! They’re protecting their intellectual property! No one has the right to do that!” isn’t going to win you any support. I bet castle doctrine makes you pee your pants, too.
    Personally, I hate the leaks. I would prefer a filter on this site which specified “No rumors”. I don’t want to read or hear it, I want a bit of surprise. 
    So don’t come here?
    Treating this as a criminal issue with jailtime consequences where the leaking is not for corporate espionage, though? Come on, that’s below the belt, and completely morally bankrupt.
    You’ve no idea what morality is.
    macseekerStrangeDaysracerhomie3zeus423Alex1Nkuduwatto_cobratoysandmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

The digital forensics of Global Security, used by Apple for its investigations, also discovered the identities of several employees feeding confidential data about the iPhone X, iPad Pro, and AirPods to a blogger at one Apple-focused online publication. Global Security is also credited as working with suppliers to "prevent theft of Apple's intellectual property" as well as leakers, improving security with the third-party firms to "meet or exceed Apple's expectations."

Was it you?  I expect it's somewhat stressful knowing that you sources are putting their careers and livelihoods in your hands.
    Gruber or Gurman.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 48
    pg4g0001 said:
    The punishment for treason is death, period. Not executing convicted traitors is a travesty.
    Are you suggesting people who work for Apple and leak information about an upcoming unannounced device, service or software feature should be put to death?
    Alex1Nspherictoysandme
  • Reply 27 of 48
    DAalseth said:
    Soli said
    Mind you the reporter has to be slightly in on it. They know who told them, but they have to keep that secret so as to allow the administration deniability.
    It's mayhap worthy of note that, while the reporter is complicit in the trial balloon, he/she is also all the way involved in a very serious way. When reporters agree to let a source speak off the record, they are stating their willingness to go to jail rather than reveal the source.

I'm such a wuss, I'd probably go straight to the fascist pigpen and squeal like a stuck pig.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 48
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Meanwhile in Tim Cook’s office...

Tim Cook: So have you caught the f**ker who leaked the 🦄  emoji to MacRumors yet?
    Global Security: Yes Sir. 2 hours of waterboarding and she came clean. 
    TC: Sweet. Now let’s fire her ass.
    GS: Actually Sir, we got Immigration involved and they’re deporting her back to India. 
    TC: Oh...isn’t that a little heavy handed?
    GS: Definately not Sir. If these leaks get into Samsung’s hands, Apple is doomed!
    TC: Good point! Keep up the great work. 
    GS: Ah...there’s just one more thing Sir...
    TC: Yes?
    GS: She’ll be leaving a 3 year old child behind who has US citizenship.
    TC: Right! When that kid grows up they will never work in this industry. Never I tell you!!!
    king editor the grateAlex1N
  • Reply 29 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    ireland said:
    pg4g0001 said:
    Are you suggesting people who work for Apple and leak information about an upcoming unannounced device, service or software feature should be put to death?
    No, he’s referring to treason, not stealing from Apple.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 48
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    ireland said:

The digital forensics of Global Security, used by Apple for its investigations, also discovered the identities of several employees feeding confidential data about the iPhone X, iPad Pro, and AirPods to a blogger at one Apple-focused online publication. Global Security is also credited as working with suppliers to "prevent theft of Apple's intellectual property" as well as leakers, improving security with the third-party firms to "meet or exceed Apple's expectations."

Was it you?  I expect it's somewhat stressful knowing that you sources are putting their careers and livelihoods in your hands.
    Gruber or Gurman.
    At least with Gruber I think , the Apple executives are OK.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 31 of 48
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    hentaiboy said:

Tim Cook: So have you caught the f**ker who leaked the 🦄  emoji to MacRumors yet?
    GS: Actually Sir, we got Immigration involved and they’re deporting her back to India. 
    GS: Definately not Sir. If these leaks get into Samsung’s hands, Apple is doomed!
    TC: Right! When that kid grows up they will never work in this industry. Never I tell you!!!
    This should definitely happen.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ireland said:
    No, my apologies. I should have expanded on the statement and been more clear. His claim was “Apple treats leakers like traitors”, and he meant “Apple [gets] traitors arrested.” My rebuttal is that the punishment for treason is death (and should be executed as such, rather than as imprisonment, et. al.), and I should have more explicitly said that by stating that the punishment for treason is death, Apple is not only not treating people like traitors, but the way real traitors are being treated is improper, by law.
    king editor the grateAlex1Nwatto_cobraSpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DAalseth said:
    Soli said
    A technique used for many years by just about every administration. Tell a reporter "off the record" "from an anonymous source" something they are thinking about doing. Then wait to see what the response is. If the public, and Congress are supportive, or at least not too upset about it, then go ahead and announce the plan. If there are howls from the Hill and protesters in the streets then deny that was ever the plan. Mind you the reporter has to be slightly in on it. They know who told them, but they have to keep that secret so as to allow the administration deniability.
    Thanks for the detailed response.
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 48
    ireland said:

Gruber or Gurman.
    At least with Gruber I think , the Apple executives are OK.
    Gruber is a critic so he can’t afford to not reveal certain things. Gurman is a reporter on the other hand, so that’s his job.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 35 of 48
    hentaiboy said:

This should definitely happen.
    What a sad comment.
    spheric
  • Reply 36 of 48
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    ireland said:

Gruber or Gurman.

The linked Bloomberg article by Gurman that this piece is based upon says, “Global Security’s digital forensics also helped catch several employees who were feeding confidential details about new products including iPhone X, iPad Pro and AirPods to a blogger at 9to5Mac.”

It rather disingenuously does NOT mention, however, that Gurman and Bloomberg themselves were at the receiving end of a number of stories that got at least one Apple employee fired (as Gruber points out in his Daring Fireball piece).
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 37 of 48
    hentaiboy said:

Satire should be somewhat credible.  As far as I know Cook doesn't speak/act like that.  There's no reason to believe that Apple treats all leaks the same.  If a mother is deported, little kids don't get left behind (unless the mother chooses to have the kid stay with other family.  All in all, a failed attempt at humor (although the premise of the unicorn emoji was a good start).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 48
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 122member
    If they keep leaking secrets then eventually they’ll be trapped in a ship that leaks from the top.  
  • Reply 39 of 48
    FranculesFrancules Posts: 122member
    Stop the leak! 🌊💧
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 48
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    pg4g0001 said:

In all honesty, the criminal charges stuff in this leads me to question my purchasing decisions. That takes this “leak” stuff from absurd to downright morally bankrupt.

Personally, I hate the leaks. I would prefer a filter on this site which specified “No rumors”. I don’t want to read or hear it, I want a bit of surprise. But there is no way to get fast, breaking actual Apple News in one location without getting an inundation of rumors and gossip. Treating this as a criminal issue with jailtime consequences where the leaking is not for corporate espionage, though? Come on, that’s below the belt, and completely morally bankrupt. Fire them, sure. Their record is tarnished in the industry. But jailtime makes me ask “do I really want to support this company?”
    Obviously you haven't been around the corporate block.  Almost every company that generates a product uses NDA's & CA's (non-disclosure agreement & confidentiality agreement)  And if you think that is bad, try the military - used to be you could be shot.. court martialed at the least.  Not a problem in my book.

Operations with R&D secrets need the ability to keep their secrets.
    tallest skilwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam