Hands-on: Apple's new (PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Sure, it's "just" a different colour, but when that colour is so striking, it generates attention and desire -- exactly what Apple wants to happen, both for itself and the money it will generate for the Global Fund. There is also the point that it raises money for a very worthy cause.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I really like the idea behind Product Red...  But I refuse to carry around a red anything.   To me, it's a harsh color that reminiscent of blood and violence.   I'm sure there's a reason for picking red, but...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I really like the idea behind Product Red...  But I refuse to carry around a red anything.   To me, it's a harsh color that reminiscent of blood and violence.   I'm sure there's a reason for picking red, but…
    It seems clear to me—it stands out. But we can also get more esoteric and draw comparison to HIV/AIDS being passed via blood (even though other transmissions are possible and HIV actually infects white blood cells).

PS: You post makes me think of The Village (2004).

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    evilution said:
    I would seriously consider an 8+ in red but where it's $799 in the US, it's £799 in the UK. That's equivalent to $1137 and it's too much.
    That's more than the Americans can get the X.
    This is a 42% tariff.  Why Trump does not complain UK? 
    It’s not the tariff. It’s the higher local costs of doing business (labor and distribution costs are much higher in Europe), VAT-inclusive price quotes (US prices are quoted pre-tax), higher costs associated with required recycling of electronic products at the end of life, exchange rate uncertainly, etc. 
    I am not convinced. Is medium income in UK several times higher than in US? Apple Store in US can sell for $799, why can't Apple Store in UK sell similarly? 
    I am guessing you didn't understand the issues raised in my post.

It has nothing at all to do with whether "medium [sic] income in UK is several times higher than in US".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    I really like the idea behind Product Red...  But I refuse to carry around a red anything.   To me, it's a harsh color that reminiscent of blood and violence.   I'm sure there's a reason for picking red, but…
    It seems clear to me—it stands out. But we can also get more esoteric and draw comparison to HIV/AIDS being passed via blood (even though other transmissions are possible and HIV actually infects white blood cells).

PS: You post makes me think of The Village (2004).

Yes, it does stand out.  It does make a statement...  And, that was its purpose...
    watto_cobra