Apple offers free repairs for Apple Watch Series 2 devices with swollen batteries, power i...

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2018
Apple this week initiated a new service program that grants free, out of warranty repairs to Apple Watch Series 2 owners whose device suffers from a swollen battery or refuses to turn on.

Apple Watch Series 2 with expanded battery. | Source: Reddit

Apple stores and Authorized Repair Providers were informed of the policy change in a note distributed through the company's internal GSX portal on Friday, reports MacRumors.

According to the document, "some" Apple Watch Series 2 models will not power on or exhibit swollen batteries "under certain conditions." An exact description of minimum requirements for eligibility was not included, but Apple is offering free repairs to those devices found to fall under the criteria after a physical examination.

The program is limited to 42mm Apple Watch Series 2 variants, suggesting the same battery issues are not as prevalent on 38mm models. Repairs are available to owners for a period of up to three years after purchase, even if the device is not covered by Apple's add-on warranty.

Notification of the new repair policy was sent to service providers in the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe, suggesting the initiative is a worldwide effort.

Apple has not issued an official statement on the matter, nor is the program listed on the company's Exchange and Repair Extension Programs webpage.

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment.

Apple Watch users have for years complained of expanded, or swollen, batteries across multiple device generations. Like most lithium-ion battery packs, the pouches used to power Apple Watch are susceptible to swelling and expanding when punctured, overcharged, overheated or otherwise damaged. While not a widespread issue, battery swelling can cause power interruptions, operational issues or, in some cases, dislodged displays.

Over the past few months, owners of Series 2 devices relayed information about similar problems via Apple's Support Communities 1, 2, Reddit (1,
2) and other online forums. Public reports also confirm issues in which the device refuses to power on.

The new repair program mirrors a warranty update for first-generation Apple Watch models implemented last year. At the time, Apple extended its standard one-year limited coverage by two years to account for devices suffering from swollen batteries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    With the dozens sold, this might make a huge hit on Apple's bottom line.
    deepinsider
  • Reply 2 of 15
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    We had both a first and second generation Apple Watch with this issue.  Apple replaced the first generation watch with no questions asked; the local store sent it to some more central Apple facilities for “repair”, but when we were called to pick it up, it was a new watch.

My wife’s second-generation watch is currently at the more-central Apple facility.  I wonder if we will get it back repaired or if we will get a new watch.

Neither replacement/repair cost us anything, despite both watches being out of warranty.

I have had no problems with my 3rd generation Apple Watch.

While we had these issues, Apple has certainly taken care of us.  They continue to fine tune and troubleshoot their technology, and I’m certain these issues will be resolved if they haven’t already.  Unlike other manufacturers, such as Samsung, they continue to support their hardware for many years via software/firmware updates.
    watto_cobraStrangeDayschia
  • Reply 3 of 15
    roakeroake Posts: 809member

First iPhones, now Apple Watches. When will Apple get their battery quality under control?

I seem to recall that trying to board a plane with the Samsung Note 7 could literally be grounds for arrest after the DOT declared them hazardous materials and dangerous to flight safety.
    https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/dot-bans-all-samsung-galaxy-note7-phones-airplanes
    • If passengers attempt to travel by air with their Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, they will be denied boarding. 

• Passengers who attempt to evade the ban by packing their phone in checked luggage are increasing the risk of a catastrophic incident.  Anyone violating the ban may be subject to criminal prosecution in addition to fines.

One group that could have benefited from the Note 7 was ISIS, using them as dirt-cheap explosives in their suicide vests.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hmmm/comments/7l0kiw/hmmm/

Your trolling reminded me of that little bit of nastolgic trivia from the (very recent) past.  Thank you for reminding us about companies with battery-quality issues.
    edited April 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    My wife have series1 38mm, battery swollen, took to Apple and replaced w new, no BS questions.
    watto_cobracaladanianchia
  • Reply 5 of 15
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I’ve had my Series-2 for about 2 years and no problems. I hope it remains that way. Maybe the battery swelling issue was mainly with first production run models. I purchased mine quite late into that model’s production run. So maybe the issue had already been solved?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    No issues with my Series 0/first-gen Apple Watch. Still runs exactly as it did when new, though I do expect to replace it at some point in the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Three AWs, one AWS2, no battery issues. That's only four data points, but it gives me confidence. I'm getting an S3.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I still have the Series 0, which I absolutely love. It is, however, the third one. I had to return two for swollen battery issues
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    My wife have series1 38mm, battery swollen, took to Apple and replaced w new, no BS questions.
    Same with my gf’s series 1. As soon as the tech saw it he said it needs to be “ sent out” for repair but it will be replaced. No other question 2 days later they called me to pick up the replacement. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    roake said:
    We had both a first and second generation Apple Watch with this issue.  Apple replaced the first generation watch with no questions asked; the local store sent it to some more central Apple facilities for “repair”, but when we were called to pick it up, it was a new watch.

My wife’s second-generation watch is currently at the more-central Apple facility.  I wonder if we will get it back repaired or if we will get a new watch.

Neither replacement/repair cost us anything, despite both watches being out of warranty.

I have had no problems with my 3rd generation Apple Watch.

While we had these issues, Apple has certainly taken care of us.  They continue to fine tune and troubleshoot their technology, and I’m certain these issues will be resolved if they haven’t already.  Unlike other manufacturers, such as Samsung, they continue to support their hardware for many years via software/firmware updates.
    My experience too:  In two warrenty/Apple Care+ repairs I received a "new" watch in return.   I suspect both were refurbished units.  But, new to me.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    My series 0 works really well, except the breathe notifications only trigger about every third week or so. 
  • Reply 12 of 15
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    1983 said:
    I’ve had my Series-2 for about 2 years and no problems. I hope it remains that way. Maybe the battery swelling issue was mainly with first production run models. I purchased mine quite late into that model’s production run. So maybe the issue had already been solved?
    Bought Nike Series 2 6 months late & is issue free. Knocks wood.

And my Series 0 (SS) is still going strong. Knocks wood.
    edited April 2018
  • Reply 13 of 15
    1983 said:
    Something about your statement doesn't make sense.  The Series 2 came out in September 2016 (about 18 months ago).  You couldn't have had it for nearly two years regardless of the "production cycle" timing.  Perhaps you are talking about the Series 0 or you meant to say you have had your Series 2 about 1 year as you bought it late into the now 18 month old cycle?  If the later is the case, then it may not have gone thru enough charging cycles yet for the problem to manifest.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    My wife 38mm Series 2 face broke off like the picture. We took it in and we have AppleCare. They confirmed the battery was swollen causing the face to break. They sent it off and about 5 days went by without hearing anything. I checked the status and it said waiting for revised estimate. I called and they said we'd need to pay the $69 co-pay. I said read the notes and a supervisor was put on the line with me. She agreed and had the replacement watch sent right out. The replacement came and it looked great BUT the Taptic ending wasn't working at all... After two hours working with a very nice apple genius, he determined it wasn't a software issue (he synced the watch to a different iPhone) etc. We are now once again waiting for another watch to show up. I was really hoping for apple to step up to the plate and see what a hassle this has been and just give us another watch. sigh. Overall apple has been very pleasant but wifey not happy.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Mark MahonMark Mahon Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Bought my 1st Apple Watch series 2 Space Gray 42 mm serial: FH7TQ0SWHJLJ around nov 2017 in the US while in vacation in Florida. Back in Brazil, less than two years after purchased, recently while adjusting on my wrist the whole screen cracked evenly around the edge of all screen perimeter :/ . Next day, I looked into it on the web and found that apple posted a quality issue about a premature crack screen on AWS2. I called apple support next day and opened a complaint, case #: 100892091022, they were very polite and told me that I should dispatch my watch to an Apple authorised shop in order to better assess the damage (OMNI INFORMATICA) and so I did reporting exactly so. A week later the shop sent me a report informing me that due to a swollen battery the screen cracked and detached,  :| , coming to a conclusion on the same report that there was no repair and offering me to buy a New Apple Watch Series 2 for only USD 420  :# . I called apple support the next day to resolve this issue it took me 20 min to speak to someone and repeat the issue, I argued that I should get a watch for free, in response the senior apple support told me that I wouldn't get a watch and that I could feel free to complain wherever and whatever :s . Now just frustration is taking place as I am seriously thinking If purchasing my Apple tv, AirPods, IPhoneX, Mac book, Magic Mouse and Apple Watch was worth it.